BEER THREAD!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: BEER THREAD!

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

DuneFishUK wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I don't know if they export them to your end of the atlantic, but they're made iin Quebec in the style of Belgian trappist beer. It's probably the best large scale produced beer in North America, but all their beers are bottled on fresh lees (yeast) and carbonated by refermentation in the bottle (not force carbonated), and as such have a very distinct fruity flavour and smell that people either love or hate.
I know a weird-beer shop. It's a bit of a trek, but I usually go there to load up with weird beers before I visit a beer-drinking mate down in London. I'm hoping to be off down again soon... and I'm gonna make a list :)
Bollocks... I forgot to do that. I just did my usual and picked up anything with a funny name.

The Monkey Wrench was fantastic :)

Next time...
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Not_Your_Friend

Post by Not_Your_Friend »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:I quite often complain that the beers round here aren't dark enough, but last night I was on the Hobgoblin (Wychwood), and a stout called Black Bess (York).

Both were wonderful (and dark)... but fuck me.. I've not felt this rough the day after for a while - and was only out for a couple of hours... :?
I've been eyeballing that hobgoblin for years, you'd recommend it?

Check out the dark beers Chambly Noire and Trois Pistoles from Unibroue, you will seriously not be dissapointed (they're not your typical dark beers though).
I would recommend Hobgoblin - it's one of my favourites. And if you're into that sort of thing - Sneck Lifter (Jennings) is another excellent one to try.

Will keep an eye out for those two - can't say I've heard to them before :)
I don't know if they export them to your end of the atlantic, but they're made iin Quebec in the style of Belgian trappist beer. It's probably the best large scale produced beer in North America, but all their beers are bottled on fresh lees (yeast) and carbonated by refermentation in the bottle (not force carbonated), and as such have a very distinct fruity flavour and smell that people either love or hate.
More of a La Fin du Monde man, myself.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Not_Your_Friend wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:I quite often complain that the beers round here aren't dark enough, but last night I was on the Hobgoblin (Wychwood), and a stout called Black Bess (York).

Both were wonderful (and dark)... but fuck me.. I've not felt this rough the day after for a while - and was only out for a couple of hours... :?
I've been eyeballing that hobgoblin for years, you'd recommend it?

Check out the dark beers Chambly Noire and Trois Pistoles from Unibroue, you will seriously not be dissapointed (they're not your typical dark beers though).
I would recommend Hobgoblin - it's one of my favourites. And if you're into that sort of thing - Sneck Lifter (Jennings) is another excellent one to try.

Will keep an eye out for those two - can't say I've heard to them before :)
I don't know if they export them to your end of the atlantic, but they're made iin Quebec in the style of Belgian trappist beer. It's probably the best large scale produced beer in North America, but all their beers are bottled on fresh lees (yeast) and carbonated by refermentation in the bottle (not force carbonated), and as such have a very distinct fruity flavour and smell that people either love or hate.
More of a La Fin du Monde man, myself.
Ah, a Unibroue fan! The End of the World is indeed a great beer as well, that's the one that got me started in those beers. Now I prefer the darker ones, I think the roasted malt does a batter job of balancing out the fruity esters of a Belgian style beer, but I still enjoy some of their lighter brews pretty often.
Not_Your_Friend

Post by Not_Your_Friend »

I typically don't go for many darker beers. I usually select some pils, but Guinness is the exception that proves the rule.
A Thing of Eternity

Not_Your_Friend wrote:I typically don't go for many darker beers. I usually select some pils, but Guinness is the exception that proves the rule.
I'm not a big Guinness guy, they're just too flat for me, I think Unibroue does a better dark beer, because there's more there to balance it out. Totally different styles though, and it's just my taste.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

I'm not picky when it comes to beer, almost everything goes for me - especially if they are cold. At the moment I could really dig an icecold weissbier.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I stabbed a scalpel in my hand last week and I'm off the beer til next week :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The Germans have a saying, there's no bad beer, some beer is just better than others.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

DuneFishUK wrote:I stabbed a scalpel in my hand last week and I'm off the beer til next week :(
Why?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:I stabbed a scalpel in my hand last week and I'm off the beer til next week :(
Why?
(replicant)
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:The Germans have a saying, there's no bad beer, some beer is just better than others.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's because they live in Germany, where there are laws ensuring a certain standard of quality. I'm sure they throw that saying out the window when they come to North America!
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

wouldn't it fit better in KayJay's eye?
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:The Germans have a saying, there's no bad beer, some beer is just better than others.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's because they live in Germany, where there are laws ensuring a certain standard of quality. I'm sure they throw that saying out the window when they come to North America!
Good point.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Why?
Seemed like a good idea at the time dammit...

...that, and I wanted to be a Na'vi :shifty:
A Thing of Eternity

DuneFishUK wrote:
Why?

I meant why no beer?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Why?

I meant why no beer?
Oh :P -drugs
A Thing of Eternity

DuneFishUK wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:
Why?

I meant why no beer?
Oh :P -drugs
Ah.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Danish Beer Company Workers Walk Out When Company Limits Them To Three Beers A Day - At Work

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/ ... s-walk-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Thing of Eternity

I think that in Germany there is a law that requires workers to have access to beer.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I think that in Germany there is a law that requires workers to have access to beer.
In Germany, I don't think there's anywhere were there isn't access to beer. I've never seen them drinking while working but I've often seen Germans drinking beer on a break while at work.
~Pink Snowman
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I think that in Germany there is a law that requires workers to have access to beer.
In Germany, I don't think there's anywhere were there isn't access to beer. I've never seen them drinking while working but I've often seen Germans drinking beer on a break while at work.
That's the impression I had. Can't wait to go there (and to neighboring Belgium, man, best beer on the PLANET). :D
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Belgium, man, best beer on the PLANET). :D
Amen, brotha. I could not get out of there. Beer, pretzels, waffles and willing, boobsy blonds, 24/7.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Belgium, man, best beer on the PLANET). :D
Amen, brotha. I could not get out of there. Beer, pretzels, waffles and willing, boobsy blonds, 24/7.
The beer their monks make is insane. We have one brewery in Quebec that does Trappist Monk style ales called Unibroue, absolutely amazing, especially for the price they make the stuff for (they were bought by Sleemans who was bought by Soporro, so no surprise they were able to get the pricing down, but they also maintained the quality which is amazing). At around $7 a bottle (750ml) it's no surprise that my wineracks are full of their bottles (mostly filled with mead now...).

I paid $25 for a bottle (750ml) of their beer once, which is pretty much what I usually spend on wine! (I don't think I've ever spent over $20 on wine even for a special occasion, I'm a cheapo) I'm eyeballing a 2007 bottle at the store right now, it's $28 though, I have trouble dropping that much on something I have to drink in one sitting, easier to justify when it's something like gin that lasts a while!