Dune Demotivators

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I know this; comparing KJA to Uwe Boll is giving KJA far too much credit.

Where is Anderson's "Ender's Game" or "I, Robot"? Where is his "Alien" or "Terminator"? Where is his "Watchmen" or "Dark Knight Returns"? Where is his "9th Symphony" or "Love Me Do"? He's offered nothing and he never will. He brought the medicore, nothing more.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I know this; comparing KJA to Uwe Boll is giving KJA far too much credit.

Where is Anderson's "Ender's Game" or "I, Robot"? Where is his "Alien" or "Terminator"? Where is his "Watchmen" or "Dark Knight Returns"? Where is his "9th Symphony" or "Love Me Do"? He's offered nothing and he never will. He brought the medicore, nothing more.
Maybe one day he'll have an original thought and leave the Duniverse.

<fingers crossed>
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

TheDukester wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:... has come from the mouths of nostalgic fans crying about their childhoods being raped.
Totally playing devil's advocate here, but I think it's interesting:

Replace "their childhoods" with "the Dune legacy" and you've got a picture of how many preeks and casual Dune fans view the OH movement.

I'm just sayin' ...
True. To a certain degree (that degree being midichloranians, another example of a stupid explanation of something that was previously left to the imagination where it belonged, which subtracted from a previous understanding instead of expanding on it).

I do believe that a lot of the Star Wars hate Lucas is drawing is based on the age difference - people liked the originals as kids and now want a movie which excites them as the original films did (a kids film), while being as cool as they think Star Wars is (not a kids film).
That said, I also think most of the new SW films suck, I just think the age difference thing is bringing this from disappointment to hate.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Anyone watched the Clone Wars cartoon? I watched it with my kids last night, it was better than I expected.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I've seen them both, i thought they were ok but I didn't care for the animation much.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Freakzilla wrote:Anyone watched the Clone Wars cartoon? I watched it with my kids last night, it was better than I expected.
I didn't like, Yoda is turning to be very repetitive and boring...

Lundse wrote: To a certain degree (that degree being midichloranians, another example of a stupid explanation of something that was previously left to the imagination where it belonged, which subtracted from a previous understanding instead of expanding on it).
I find the midchlorians very nice. It is not the Force, people, it's the biological compound present inside all life that make the communication with the Force possible.

Lets be honest, Lucas could hadn't explained that, but "felling the Force" should have had some explanation, and Lucas did it, creatively.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Midichlorians? :shock:

[reads bit on WP]

:roll:

Ugh. This is the kind of shit scifi I DON'T like. (And why I'm not a rabbid SW fan.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:I find the midchlorians very nice. It is not the Force, people, it's the biological compound present inside all life that make the communication with the Force possible.
Sorry, but that's crap.

The Force was a wondrous, mysterious thing in the first three movies (especially the first two). It seemingly required hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and other qualities to begin to master it.

The Force in that prequel crap was biological. You had it or you didn't. How exciting ... everyone but a select few is reduced to the status of non-player character.

At the very least, it's poor story-telling. I have a feeling that's why Kevvie is so at home churning out crap "novels" in the "modern" Star Wars universe. It requires no skill at all to report someone's midichlorian count.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

The Force was a wondrous, mysterious thing in the first three movies (especially the first two). It seemingly required hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and other qualities to begin to master it.
Yeah, like so many things KJA tried to explain from FH's book...

Taking away the mystery and mystic from a thing is like explaining God...you just got to have faith, no explaination...Maybe that's where Lucas went wrong; you don't have to explain everything...
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Found this one

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This one what? :shock:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:This one what? :shock:
I was going to say... :?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Is this an attempt to put my ego in check because I got the last two obscure references on this message board that everyone else missed? Because I admit, I'm not that smart. It's okay; I am capable of being duped.

*waits for explanation, with his facepalm picture at the ready...*

:)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

TheDukester wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:I find the midchlorians very nice. It is not the Force, people, it's the biological compound present inside all life that make the communication with the Force possible.
Sorry, but that's crap.

The Midichlorions...

At first glance, I thought this was crap and it kinda made me mad, for the reasons already pointed out. But thinking about it, its not that bad. Like Lisan said, its not explaining the Force, just the biological difference that makes people more prone to it. They do say in the originals that Luke had a high force-sensitivity because his father was strong in the force. The midichlorions are just a way of explain the hereditary difference. Still, I do think it was uneccessary.

What DID bother me however, was a scifi-tech technicality in Episode 1 -

Qui-Gon takes a blood sample from Anakin. He then talks to someone on the Jedi council through his subspace communicator and says " i'm sending you a blood sample to analyze" (they analyze it, and it comes back, of course, with an off-the-charts midichlorion count).

So, if chemical analysis back at the base was needed, how did he send a blood sample through subspace? Information is sent through the transmission, not the chemicals that need to be analyzed (you can't send matter through a radio, at least not in Star Wars). So, either he sent chemicals through subspace, or, if only data is being sent, that means the analysis would have to be done in Qui-Gon's handheld device, and the results of the blood analysis could be sent. But that means there was no need to send anything anyway, he would have the results there.

Just an example of what an engineer thinks about when he watches this stuff... :wink:

Oh, and the whole "immaculate conception through the midichlorions" thing was ridiculous. Anakin's mother got down with a spice-smuggler... named Gurney.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

The Sons of Idaho wrote:Still, I do think it was uneccessary.
If I had to boil it down to one sentence, I'd choose that one. It just didn't add anything. It was, as I mentioned above, poor story-telling.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The Sons of Idaho wrote:Qui-Gon takes a blood sample from Anakin. He then talks to someone on the Jedi council through his subspace communicator and says " i'm sending you a blood sample to analyze" (they analyze it, and it comes back, of course, with an off-the-charts midichlorion count).

So, if chemical analysis back at the base was needed, how did he send a blood sample through subspace? Information is sent through the transmission, not the chemicals that need to be analyzed (you can't send matter through a radio, at least not in Star Wars). So, either he sent chemicals through subspace, or, if only data is being sent, that means the analysis would have to be done in Qui-Gon's handheld device, and the results of the blood analysis could be sent. But that means there was no need to send anything anyway, he would have the results there.

Just an example of what an engineer thinks about when he watches this stuff... :wink:
I thought he was talking to a young Obi wan who was only a matter of miles away at the time. And re your second point mayhaps the "analysis" was so complicated that the... argggg I'm getting sucked in helllpmeeeeee
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

TheDukester wrote:The Force was a wondrous, mysterious thing in the first three movies (especially the first two). It seemingly required hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and other qualities to begin to master it.
interesting .... although flawed...you do remember that luke uses the force right?...i mean he really worked hard huh...and if by "other qualities" you mean by acting like a whiny little bitch...then yes...luke did have those "other qualities" ...go rewatch the original trilogy...make a drinking game out of it...every time luke complains or whines....take a shot...you wont make it off tatooine without barfing your whisky everywhere
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm in! :lol:
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

SandChigger wrote:I'm in! :lol:
Me too!
I am a mortal god.
orald

Post by orald »

SW sucks! Real men watch ST!

Ah, they're both shit. Bring on DUNE! 8)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

orald wrote:SW sucks! Real men watch ST!

Exactly.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Word.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

TOS Star Trek had the women is sexy ootfits :P

Rob
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Robspierre wrote:

TOS Star Trek had the women is sexy ootfits :P

Rob
Like he said... 8)
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood