The Board

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: The Board

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
To be honest, I'm not at all sure what your problem with Jacurutu is. I'm not forcing anyone to post here one way or another, but personal attacks are against the rules. When it gets out of hand I'll bitch about it.

If you have suggestions on how to improve things, let's hear it.
I don't think GP has any problem with Jacurutu, he's just saying that this place is preek-hostile and that any major change is unlikely, and anyone expecting a giant change is being unrealistic, which is true enough, but I don't think that anyone actaully expects a giant change in the first place.

That's what I got from his posts anyways.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Such are the inconsistencies in tone and detail, proper Dune discussion almost always needs to be based in the precept that what FH wrote is canon - it's not just Irulan doing it wrong.

That alienates preeks.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

DuneFishUK wrote:Such are the inconsistencies in tone and detail, proper Dune discussion almost always needs to be based in the precept that what FH wrote is canon - it's not just Irulan doing it wrong.

That alienates preeks.
Of course, my issue is the way preeks are told to shut up and told to admit the weaknesses of the new books. And that said, I don't really care that much, I just think that a small improvement would benifit this place in terms of both membership and discussion.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

DuneFishUK wrote:Such are the inconsistencies in tone and detail, proper Dune discussion almost always needs to be based in the precept that what FH wrote is canon - it's not just Irulan doing it wrong.
Agreed. But there is still the improper, as-of-yet-informed Dune discussion to be considered.
DuneFishUK wrote:That alienates preeks.
Which leads me to a kind of point:
It doesn't have to.

If Simon appears here and participates in a thread with some confused crap from KJA, I can tell him that he is welcome but that noone has any interest in discussing Dune laced with shit. Politely. (I am totally fucking up my own point with my language here).

And if he or other NuDune fans appear and participate on those terms, I won't call them NuDune fans to their faces. Thats no big problem for me.

I will also invite them over to the sequel topics to be my tri-annual KJA-fan-to-run-away-when-confronted-with-actual-arguments!

But I totally agree that if anyone is alienated by the fact that our discussion is limited to FH's Dune, then they are free to feel as alienated as they please and Jacurutu will have lost no great scholar of science fiction.
But I humbly suggest that many, most or all are in fact alienated by the confrontational atmosphere.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'd like to agree with you. (about the "confrontational atmosphere" driving folks away.)
and I do agree with that, that's why people drop into the amazon pages, get their asses
handed to them & laughed at, cry a little and run away.

and I've gone back and forth on this alot. maybe we (I,me) get too harsh.

on the other hand ...

go take a look at any random discussion board on the Civil War.
You might expect to see a large contingent of Southern Apologists & Confederate supporters -
you'd be wrong. Almost all the "open" Civil War boards are not only Yankee-dominated, but
the general "politically correct" sentiment is to say that Confederate Veterans should (grudgingly)
be honored for their "service" & "bravery", but their Cause must be discredited.

Southern Leaders are routinely compared to Hitler's nazis, they are portrayed as evil, greedy,
dishonorable men, & etc. The South in general is still held in contempt.

An attempt to defend the South today or the "Lost Cause" will bring out the Yankee attack-dogs.

Now, I could cry "hey, y'all be fair, now" & "aww, play nice, wouldja ?" or I can give right
back to them. I can defend my points, not feed the trolls, and get on with it.

I AM a troll, in many respects, here, on amazon, in the comment sections of unsuspecting blaghs.
If you feed me, I will laugh & grow stronger.
If you ignore me, stick to defending your points, call me an asshat every now & then,
well, then you end up with a situation like what exists between me & Simon.

so while I'd like to get behind a rainbow coalition of unicorns & say let's play nice,
I'm afraid my real response is always going to be "you're fucking retarded, die in a fire",
and I don't think I'm able to control that.

I also think that the only type of pretards that are going to be "converted" are those lame
net losers that want to fit in with "the cool kids" .... they'll come in here saying, "oh, I liked
Keith's Dune & Star Wars & FraggleRock" and soon be making Brian Herbert demotivators for
group approval.

and fuck this, back to anti-pretard argument #1 - if you liked anything Keith's done, you're
too fucking retarded to read Frank. GTFO my Dune. Die in a fire.

(mighta got a little angry there - got Glenn Beck on in the background,
fantasizing about putting a spear thru his head.)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

:D
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

This is why The Outcast can't have nice things.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I think I'm just getting bored with all the KJA shit. It's spilling over into General Dune discussion and Ghafla.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

After reading this article, it's kinda hard to dispute our side when KJA's forces are actively claiming we're nothing but zealots with nothing to offer. Most people tend to believe what they read first and not even bother getting the side, and there's not much of a side for us since we can only say we're intelligent and not dodging questions. People might not want to dig and find that out...

Should there be some sort of preeq-gateway on here or Chig's site, that shows the various Amazon arguments, DN incidents, and other related topics in a "soft" manner before they get into the harsher stuff? I don't really like that when people come over that they're usually exposed to KJA's face merged with a horse's ass before actual discussions on why we're doing that.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

lurking in Brian Conway's Cave gives you cancer.
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, I think it's more like crotch-rot of the brain. (Viral vs bacterial causes?) :P
Redstar wrote:Should there be some sort of preeq-gateway on here or Chig's site...
:shock:

A ... preeq gateway ... on HToD? :shock:

:laughing-rolling:

Gods I DO love you! :D

(Seriously, though, that's not at all a bad idea. I may have to end up mirroring something from here, though ... don't quite trust myself to write it ... would end up with something like "Are you STUPID? Then READ THIS!" :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Seemed like a good enough idea to expand on it a bit and make a whole thread about it. But if not, glad to be of amusement, mister Craig.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I had thought of using the forum groups function and had even suggested it to Byron but nobody seemed to like the idea of not being able to fling poo at each other.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Redstar wrote:...mister Craig.
Good point, Mr ... ???

Maybe I'm just having a "senior moment", but you would seem to have me at a disadvantage.... ;)
Freakzilla wrote:I had thought of using the forum groups function and had even suggested it to Byron but nobody seemed to like the idea of not being able to fling poo at each other.
I remember saying to The Great Ball-less Sell-out early on that his forum set-up was divisive and guaranteed to promote dissension.

His (STUPID) reply was something like, "What's wrong with dissension?"

Fateful, no? :D
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

On Saturday, August 08, 2009, at 3:34 am, SandChigger wrote:Hey, Freak!

This is a PUBLIC REQUEST for you to change my user rank for me, from its current

PROFESSIONAL KJA HATER

to something like

B. CONWAY SNIFFS MY BUMCRACK HOURLY.

I thought the current one was pretty funny when you made it, but Pest is using it as a point of contention for his bullshit over on Amazon, so like the "Magical Jewish Saint" one before with SwordMaster, maybe it's time for this one to go, too. :roll:
So ... I hadn't really been paying attention and just noticed last night that I had been reverted to a PROFESSIONAL KJA HATER. :?:

That's cool, no problem, but if there's backstory I'd LOVE to hear it! :D

(Especially if it involved threats from Pestie, or him whining and crying like a little bint! :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I didn't realize "Professional KJA Hater" offended anyone! :oops:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It didn't, except maybe Pestie, judging from the boner it was giving him over on Amazon at the time. :P

I'm COMPLETELY cool with it :D but was just wondering when the BUMCRACK SNIFFER one had been changed. :lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:It didn't, except maybe Pestie, judging from the boner it was giving him over on Amazon at the time. :P

I'm COMPLETELY cool with it :D but was just wondering when the BUMCRACK SNIFFER one had been changed. :lol:
when all the smell had been sucked dry :mrgreen:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:It didn't, except maybe Pestie, judging from the boner it was giving him over on Amazon at the time. :P

I thought I sent you a PM about it... :?
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Huh ... OK. I'll check my records. :shifty:

(Nice one, lotek. Yeah, the way Pestie was slavering all over it, not even my redolent bumcrack could stink forever! :lol: )
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Sandchigger, I'll never be able to read The Santaroga Barrier again for you have tainted the word redolent. :cry: :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One is glad to have been of service. :P
lotek

Post by lotek »

I learned a new word today :mrgreen:
red·o·lent (rěd'l-ənt) adj.

1. Having or emitting fragrance; aromatic.
2. Suggestive; reminiscent: a campaign redolent of machine politics.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin redolēns, redolent-, present participle of redolēre, to smell : re-, red-, re- + olēre, to smell.]
red'o·lent·ly adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source
Example:

the mcdunes are redolent of fail
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

lotek wrote:I learned a new word today :mrgreen:

Example:

the mcdunes are redolent of fail
:lol: :laughing: :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie