Dune Trivia

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Text says "the beauty of woman." Makes perfect sense as is, is not an error. Articles do not work the same in different languages. (Spanish and French, IIRC, would require a 'la' before 'woman' in this case; would Hebrew have a definite article only on 'woman', Orald?)

I get paid to explain these things and I'm off the clock right now. Get rid of the attitude and replace it with a grammar book, Fantomas.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Funny, I was sure you always need "a" before a singular form.
And wouldn't a plural, it being a general description of said gender's quality(i.e beauty), be more appropriate than a singular form, since we're not talking about a specific woman here? :?

Damn your language is silly. :roll:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

fantomas wrote:
Mandy wrote:Could be a typo.
On the pdf or on the book?

bdw were you equivocated about t-p. acknowledge?
Well, I meant it could be a typo on either the book or the PDF, since there are many printings and the PDF could be taken from any of them. I don't know if it's a typo, just saying that it could be. The phrase makes sense to me either way, but that is because I am used to the weirdness of the English language.

I wasn't equivocating about t-p, I was making a joke and I think you took it the wrong way. I honestly didn't remember FH using t-p as an abbreviation for telepathy, and I honestly don't know why he would abbreviate the word. It's not like he used the word so often that it became tiresome to type out.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It only appears twice in the books, both in Dune; first in text:

"T-P?" the Emperor whispered. He snapped his attention back to Alia. "By the Great Mother!"

Second in the "Terminology":

T-P: idiomatic for telepathy.

It wasn't so much an abbreviation for FH's benefit, but depicts instead its currency among speakers in the Imperium, IMO. THEY found it expedient to use the shorter form. :)

As for the other...

the beauty of a woman - one particular woman, known to either the speaker or the hearer or possibly as yet unknown to both

the beauty of the woman - one particular woman, known to both speaker and hearer

the beauty of women - generic, all women, women in general

the beauty of woman - universal, as an ideal

Are we happy? :D
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Now...whose f*cking turn is it? :roll:
orald

Post by orald »

I think it's mine, as I've given the 3 pleasures of life offered to Halleck.

But since I'm bad at riddles I'll pass it to...*ooh, feel the tension!* Chig!

And if he doesn't want he can name a successor.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Works for me. :)

Her ardor was excessive.
Its fullness would have killed him.
And so she was stopped.
At less than half the count.

What was the number of God's mercy? ;)
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

SandChigger wrote: Get rid of the attitude and replace it with a grammar book, Fantomas.
and you do not have an attitude with new Dune fans, right?

I have read comments about your attitude.
You have said that you are proud to not only stick in the knife but to wiggled all around.

i think I do not like you. let's keep away from each other.
you have even commented about me in your forum when I was telling inhuen to stop bouncing. like you did not know it was a joke.
and your personal attack a little while ago. Double standard. i am used to it. But, I will not put up with your kind of abuse.
Let's keep away from each other. :idea:

to the rest, I am sorry you have to read this shit.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

orald wrote:I think it's mine, as I've given the 3 pleasures of life offered to Halleck.

SIMÓN is my way to say Yes Man. Meaning yes man you got the answer right.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

to the rest, I am sorry you have to read this shit.
Indeed...Opinions are like diarrhea : It's not because you have one that we have to know about it... :roll:

Yes, it's a joke... :wink:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

My Ace 1998 edition says "beauty of woman".
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Freakzilla wrote:My Ace 1998 edition says "beauty of woman".
Yes, ok, after overwhelming evidence has been amassed, I'll admit that's what FH wrote, which I had no way of telling for sure with a pirated PDF file and no hard-copy in English.

And I got the answer to the riddle:

The number of God's mercy is 20.

Shall I explain the riddle? Very well...

Nayla's devotion to God Leto is fanatical.
Her full lashing session of 50 lashes would have killed the BT embassador, Nunepi.
And so God Leto in his mercy(and political wisdom) ordered Duncan to stop her.
At 20 lashes, which is less than half of 50.

Turn goes to...oh, whoever has a riddle ready I guess, and posts first.
It really sucks I'm bad at making riddles. :?

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And the winner is Orald! 20 lashes it was. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

orald wrote:...which I had no way of telling for sure with a pirated PDF file and no hard-copy in English.
Is scanning a book that you own, piracy? (I didn't scan it)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

What utilitarian piece of knowledge about His Guard corporal He thought beneficial for Him to know?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I believe it is Orald's turn.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Freakzilla wrote:Is scanning a book that you own, piracy? (I didn't scan it)
Well, hmm...If you mean getting a free PDF copy in english of a book I own in Hebrew...then the HLP and law would probably call it piracy, since I'd have to spend more money on purchesing an English edition.
To that I say "fat chance, biatches". :wink:

Thanks Freak, but It's Fantomas' turn, as I've said in my answer post:
Turn goes to...oh, whoever has a riddle ready I guess, and posts first.

orald

Post by orald »

fantomas wrote:What utilitarian piece of knowledge about His Guard corporal He thought beneficial for Him to know?
That he's addicted to semuta.

He is the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, and his guard corporal and new captain of guards, Iakin Nefud.

BTW, I figuered the answer without the PDF's, only checked them for verification and spelling of Nefud's name. Just so you know.

I'll pass the turn to anyone but Fantomas if I'm right, since we gotta have some variation, right?
I suggest every time we have someone answering correctly and he/she has no riddle ready/want to pass it(like myself, unless posted otherwise) that they give the turn to anyone but the one who last asked a riddle, unless nobody else has anything to ask.
Uh, did I make it clear enough? :?

Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

orald wrote:
fantomas wrote:What utilitarian piece of knowledge about His Guard corporal He thought beneficial for Him to know?
That he's addicted to semuta.

He is the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, and his guard corporal and new captain of guards, Iakin Nefud.

BTW, I figuered the answer without the PDF's, only checked them for verification and spelling of Nefud's name. Just so you know.

I'll pass the turn to anyone but Fantomas if I'm right, since we gotta have some variation, right?
I suggest every time we have someone answering correctly and he/she has no riddle ready/want to pass it(like myself, unless posted otherwise) that they give the turn to anyone but the one who last asked a riddle, unless nobody else has anything to ask.
Uh, did I make it clear enough? :?
Clear, except (unless nobody else has anything to ask) then what?

Semuta, the drug-music combination that played itself in the deepest consciousness.

SIMÓN, your turn Orald. Thank you for not using PDF. Bravo!
orald

Post by orald »

fantomas wrote:Clear, except (unless nobody else has anything to ask) then what?
Then the thread goes for a little vacation until someone has a riddle.
I think we just need a tiny cooldown time for whoever asked the last riddle in such cases like with myself answering and not asking a riddle of my own, like a day or two. If no one has any riddle by then I think it's open business for the first comer.
Thank you for not using PDF. Bravo!
It's not that I'm against using it, I just figured this one out without the need for a PDF file. Only when I checked it for the spelling etc I saw I could've done a search for "corporal" or something of the likes.

Basically, for solving this riddle I just thought about who has this sort of "xxx of the guards" person in his employ, and first I thought Duncan and God Leto, but it didn't fit. Then the Baron and his guards, and that fit because I knew his guard was addicted to semuta, and that's a thing the Baron would likely care to note(also, after reading Dosadi I was reminded of exploitation of addicts by their dependency of their drugs).

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You may pass if you don't have a question ready or can't think of one quickly.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Freakzilla wrote:
orald wrote:...which I had no way of telling for sure with a pirated PDF file and no hard-copy in English.
Is scanning a book that you own, piracy? (I didn't scan it)
I don't think so, but distributing it IS piracy, and I think downloading the pdf, even if you own the book in hardcover, IS piracy(not sure, Omphalos, you're the legal authority here...).
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

If it is I think it's silly. If I own the book and would like it in an electronic format and I'm just too lazy to put each page on the scanner, but someone I know has already done it, who is that hurting? Anyone want to ask Byron?
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:If it is I think it's silly. If I own the book and would like it in an electronic format and I'm just too lazy to put each page on the scanner, but someone I know has already done it, who is that hurting? Anyone want to ask Byron?
Why on Earth would anyone want to ask Byron? He doesnt know shit.

The law in this area changes constantly; more than any area I have ever encountered before, and I research different areas of the law daily. But my belief is that it is not, as long as its for personal use. But, of course, I think that there are also some conflicting cases out there.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:If it is I think it's silly. If I own the book and would like it in an electronic format and I'm just too lazy to put each page on the scanner, but someone I know has already done it, who is that hurting? Anyone want to ask Byron?
I talked to Brian Herbert on the phone about this issue a few times. I wanted to make an electronic copy of Dune for classroom purposes and he gave me the go-ahead. The next morning he called me back and told me that he was advised by his lawyer to not allow it. That's pretty much when I started getting fed up with the practices of the HLP. The old blame it on the lawyer excuse has been getting old.