Post Your FH Collection

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Post Your FH Collection

Post by Omphalos »

There's great online dbs for stuff like that these days, but that is a recent thing. I think I worked on that list in 2004-05 (and by the way, Kwisatz, some of that information came from the notes you and I compared a few years ago :wink: ) and back then I went to a variety of sources to put it all together.

Which reminds me; I was going to splurge for that big Dune bibliography one of these days. Maybe its time!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Its time - definitely ;)
Yes, I remember now and also when I checked the other thread I discover that this list of printings was taken from my notes ;)

I think there will be a major update to this list within 30 minutes with lots of matching photos ;)

Where is this database - any link?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Kwisatz wrote:Its time - definitely ;)
Yes, I remember now and also when I checked the other thread I discover that this list of printings was taken from my notes ;)

I think there will be a major update to this list within 30 minutes with lots of matching photos ;)

Where is this database - any link?
One of them is http://www.isfdb.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are others, Ill get links when I get home.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Enjoy this addition of 9 Chilton printings here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=417&p=100746#p100746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Again, an astounding collection. Very impressive, and very interesting.

It would be great to get detailed 1st edition info on all the original volumes. Seeing pictures of all 9 printings of the Dune 1st edition (in the other thread you just posted) was just fascinating.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

I'll post what I have, but some of you could also contribute with later editions ;)

EDIT: Homework done in other thread - enjoy DM, CoD and GEoD editions I have.

I think we need more foreign editions (other than English) in this thread with covers and other details etc.
I personally have all Polish not even editions but printings, fanzines and other stuff. I'm looking for someone who has more or less similar collection from his country. For example there were many Russian and former Russian republics editions that I'm not aware of. Funny thing is that I bought all Russian editions from guy from USA (Russia is the nearest country across the Poland border) ;)

Those covers from Netherlands posted earlier in this thread were for instance very helpful for me eventhough I have some of them already.
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

This is my first post on this forum, so hi everyone. Just wanna say first to Kwisatz: they should make a TV documentary about your Dune room - it's amazing!

My collection is very modest in comparison; I have the first American editions of the original six Dunes with this printing order (7th,1st & 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st). Got HCs of Dune Encyclopedia (BCE), Whipping Star (1st, I really like this one), Lazarus Effect (1st & signed by Frank) and Ascension Factor (1st). The 1st print Dune Messiah one is only in good condition, while the 2nd is near fine. I'm kinda split on which one to keep because I only want one of them to join the rest of the books in the shelf. As people here probably know the prices on the DJs are $4.95 and $14.95, which makes me think that the 2nd print was out far later than the 1st. Anybody know how a rough date? To me it seems that both are equally valuable considering the difference in condition.

Now I have another issue, again about Dune Messiah: I am looking into collecting UK hardcovers for Dune as well and I have noticed different Gollancz editions out there. For Dune Messiah I know there is the SF edition with a yellow jacket. I also know there is the 1984 edition with the two moons in the background. Anybody know if there are other DJ designs among these older editions?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Welcome ULFsurfer,

this thread could help, lots of info.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=417&hilit=Dune+Editions

While you're at it, why not do an introduction thread in the Introduce Yourself Forum.

Rob
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Hey thanks Rob! I've been checking out that thread before, it's really great and informative. Actually it helped me identifying the 1st print of Dune Messiah when I bought it. But there is no information there about rough printing dates.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The ISFDB can help with that. Here's a sample:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goodnight Golden Path!
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

ULFsurfer wrote:This is my first post on this forum, so hi everyone. Just wanna say first to Kwisatz: they should make a TV documentary about your Dune room - it's amazing!
Thanks! My friend conducted small interview with me in this room, but nothing on TV yet ;) Although that could change in few weeks because I made a claim to Guinness World Record ;)
ULFsurfer wrote: My collection is very modest in comparison; I have the first American editions of the original six Dunes with this printing order (7th,1st & 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st). Got HCs of Dune Encyclopedia (BCE), Whipping Star (1st, I really like this one), Lazarus Effect (1st & signed by Frank) and Ascension Factor (1st). The 1st print Dune Messiah one is only in good condition, while the 2nd is near fine. I'm kinda split on which one to keep because I only want one of them to join the rest of the books in the shelf. As people here probably know the prices on the DJs are $4.95 and $14.95, which makes me think that the 2nd print was out far later than the 1st. Anybody know how a rough date? To me it seems that both are equally valuable considering the difference in condition.
Very nice collection! You beat me with 3 books - 2 DM, cause I've got only ex-libs, but 1st was signed by Frank and also Lazarus Effect - cause I've got signed copy but only by Brian ;D I am also looking for DJ from 1st/1st DM with $4.95 price.
ULFsurfer wrote: Now I have another issue, again about Dune Messiah: I am looking into collecting UK hardcovers for Dune as well and I have noticed different Gollancz editions out there. For Dune Messiah I know there is the SF edition with a yellow jacket. I also know there is the 1984 edition with the two moons in the background. Anybody know if there are other DJ designs among these older editions?
I think this yellow edition was from 1971. Two moons edition had the cover on Dune, DM, CoD, GEoD - all from 1984.
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Kwisatz wrote:
ULFsurfer wrote:This is my first post on this forum, so hi everyone. Just wanna say first to Kwisatz: they should make a TV documentary about your Dune room - it's amazing!
Thanks! My friend conducted small interview with me in this room, but nothing on TV yet ;) Although that could change in few weeks because I made a claim to Guinness World Record ;)
I won't have to say it because I know you will get it, but: best of luck!
Kwisatz wrote:
ULFsurfer wrote: My collection is very modest in comparison; I have the first American editions of the original six Dunes with this printing order (7th,1st & 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st). Got HCs of Dune Encyclopedia (BCE), Whipping Star (1st, I really like this one), Lazarus Effect (1st & signed by Frank) and Ascension Factor (1st). The 1st print Dune Messiah one is only in good condition, while the 2nd is near fine. I'm kinda split on which one to keep because I only want one of them to join the rest of the books in the shelf. As people here probably know the prices on the DJs are $4.95 and $14.95, which makes me think that the 2nd print was out far later than the 1st. Anybody know how a rough date? To me it seems that both are equally valuable considering the difference in condition.
Very nice collection! You beat me with 3 books - 2 DM, cause I've got only ex-libs, but 1st was signed by Frank and also Lazarus Effect - cause I've got signed copy but only by Brian ;D I am also looking for DJ from 1st/1st DM with $4.95 price.
I think your signed DM beats my copies. Exlibs aren't that bad usually. Are there marks on the DJ? Typically you should be able to remove such.
Kwisatz wrote:
ULFsurfer wrote: Now I have another issue, again about Dune Messiah: I am looking into collecting UK hardcovers for Dune as well and I have noticed different Gollancz editions out there. For Dune Messiah I know there is the SF edition with a yellow jacket. I also know there is the 1984 edition with the two moons in the background. Anybody know if there are other DJ designs among these older editions?
I think this yellow edition was from 1971. Two moons edition had the cover on Dune, DM, CoD, GEoD - all from 1984.
Yeah, you're right. According the link Omphalos provided (thanks!) those are the two early Gollancz editions of DM. It's too bad because I find those DJs pretty boring
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

ULFsurfer wrote: I think your signed DM beats my copies. Exlibs aren't that bad usually. Are there marks on the DJ? Typically you should be able to remove such.
Problem is that I have BCE DJ on 1st/1st copy instead of correct DJ ;)
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Kwisatz wrote:
ULFsurfer wrote: I think your signed DM beats my copies. Exlibs aren't that bad usually. Are there marks on the DJ? Typically you should be able to remove such.
Problem is that I have BCE DJ on 1st/1st copy instead of correct DJ ;)
Ah, that's painful. Pretty hard to find DJs only for sale - you probably will have to buy a whole 1st print from somewhere. But it's better to have a BCE DJ than none at all..

Btw, my collection is going to expand. I just purchased a UK hardcover of Dune: 1976 2nd print. This one looks just like the black DJ with white text & illustration, but instead has orange background. A cheap exlib copy, but the only one I could see online. Oh, and I got the Chapterhouse UK hardcover too. I dig the illustration on that one!
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Recently I counted some of the books and here are the results:

330 strictly Dune related books
40 books with FH signatures
55 books (and other stuff) with BH signatures
59 books (and other stuff) with KJA signatures

I am also compiling a list of stuff I don't have (mostly magazines and books in English - anthologies and secondary sources) - over 300 so far (foreign editions don't count here ;) )
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

"strictly Dune related" - what about non-Dune books by Frank? It would be cool to see your lists. Any chance you could share the document?
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Kwisatz wrote: 55 books (and other stuff) with BH signatures
59 books (and other stuff) with KJA signatures
You mean ...like that ? Image

ULFsurfer wrote:It would be cool to see your lists. Any chance you could share the document?

At T(A)U-Lampadas, my fellow OH outcast, and it may become real sooner than you think :wink:
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

ULFsurfer wrote:"strictly Dune related" - what about non-Dune books by Frank? It would be cool to see your lists. Any chance you could share the document?
      It was counted for the Record. Non-Dune books = over 400. I don't have a full list yet ;)
      DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

ULFsurfer wrote:Btw, my collection is going to expand. I just purchased a UK hardcover of Dune: 1976 2nd print. This one looks just like the black DJ with white text & illustration, but instead has orange background. A cheap exlib copy, but the only one I could see online. Oh, and I got the Chapterhouse UK hardcover too. I dig the illustration on that one!
      Nice one :)

Kwitsatz - do you know if there were hardcover UK first editions of Messiah, Children or God Emperor?
      - http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

What do you mean?

There were DM, Gollancz, 1971, 1.6P
      CoD, Gollancz, 1976, 3.95P - I have this one
      GEoD, Gollancz, 1981, 6.95P - also have this one

I also have 2 copies of 1st Dune by Gollancz from 1960. One is ex-lib, price clipped available for trade if anyone is interested.
      Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Hey Kwisatz, is your copy of this one:
      GEoD, Gollancz, 1981, 6.95P - also have this one
      ... smaller than a regular hardcover? Mine is, and in all other respects it appears not to be a BCE, but I've never seen another UK HC to compare.

Edited to add: DuneFish, you can see the UK HC of GEoD here:

http://jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=24& ... =45#p47609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HBJ
      "The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
      - Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
      - Iain Banks
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

My copy is the same in size like CoD = 22 cm.
      DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Thanks! I dream one day to have signed UK hardcovers. There are plenty of HoD and CHDs out there, and you see the occasional Dune... but the others? Not so much at all. :?
      - http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

I remember that Frank was 3 times in Europe. There could be a few copies of UK editions out there ;)

My dream is to have all 1st US editions (not only hardcovers in some cases) signed by FH.

This is my shop list - if anyone has any of these with Frank's signature - show them to us ;)

Dune, Chilton 1/1
      White Plague 1/1
      Dragon in the Sea real 1st not BCE
      Dosadi Experiment 1/1
      Soul Catcher 1/1
      The Godmakers PB
      The Santaroga Barrier 1/1
      Direct Descent PB
      Nebula Winners 15 1/1
      Without Me you're nothing 1/1
      The Lazarus Effect 1/1 (BH/Bill Ransom)
      Destination: Void PB
      The Best of Frank Herbert PB
      The Heaven Makers PB
      Medea: Harlan's World (numbered or even lettered copy)
      Analog magazines with Dune World
      The Great Dune Trilogy
      Four Complete Novels
      Dune Storybook (FH/Vinge)

I'm also interested in obtaining signed printings of Dune by Chilton - printings 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 (last never seen signed)
      ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
      Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Kwisatz wrote: The Best of Frank Herbert
      • small HB
      • PB (2 vol)
      Kwisatz wrote: Analog magazines with Dune World
      Dune World + Prophet
      Kwisatz wrote:
      The Great Dune Trilogy
      • HB Gollancz 1979