Defense of the New Books

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:Just hit yourself in the head with the hammer and skip reading the book. The effect is similar except that you won't feel dumber.
Well, except you don't feel the outrage, the sense of violation, or the sense that your intelligence is being insulted.

Maybe the hammer needs to be inserted into your person by someone trying to convince you of the scientific merits of Intelligent Design.

HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Holy shit, I leave for a few hours and this is what I find. What a mess, I got about a 1/4 of the way through and gave up.

I'm going to keep my commentary to one post in defense of Simon, not his overall position, but this one single post, and Dukester's response.
TheDukester wrote:
Simon wrote:The dissatisfied are always more vocal. When you eat fast food and it's good you might say "hey this stuff is really fresh today!" but who turns their car around, or calls up the local Burger King to say "Fantastic job guys!". No one.

But if you get cold fries or a stale bun your going to complain. I myself read the books for 7 or 8 years without feeling the need to go online or write letters to the authors.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Um ... huh?

Seriously, what in the hell are you talking about?
Umm... he's talking about the well known common sense fact that dissatisfied people are almost always more vocal than satisfied people. The accepted statistic in business is that a satisfied customer will on average tell 1 person they were satisfied - an unsatisfied person will tell 10. Simon is right on the money with this post, 90% people who enjoyed the books will put them on a shelf and never feel the need to talk about them online - but for those of us who hated the new books the % is likely much higher, and we certainly are a hell of a lot louder once we do get to talking about it.

So yeah, that was kinda obvious Duke. Obviously I'm on your side of this argument, and I appreciate your zealous hatred of pinky and the brian, but if we stick to only making intelligent posts instead of comments like this it really helps our argument that we're the smart ones, doesn't work so well when we're the ones making the um-ya-well-insertinsult-takethat posts.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Edited.

Sigh. This one was borderline, but it's got to go, I guess ...
Last edited by TheDukester on 22 Oct 2008 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

TheDukester wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:So yeah, that was kinda obvious Duke.
No, not really.

It's clearer now ... AFTER other people have essentially re-written it for him. But if Simon wants to run with a faster crowd, he needs to work on his clarity.
If you honestly had never heard or thought that upset people are more vocal than happy ones I don't know what planet you've been on :wink: , and I don't know how you could have missed that that was what he was saying. Sometimes Simon can be very unclear and dissorganized, this isn't one of those times.
Simon wrote:
The dissatisfied are always more vocal. When you eat fast food and it's good you might say "hey this stuff is really fresh today!" but who turns their car around, or calls up the local Burger King to say "Fantastic job guys!". No one.

But if you get cold fries or a stale bun your going to complain. I myself read the books for 7 or 8 years without feeling the need to go online or write letters to the authors.
His clarity was fine (his punctuation and grammar were frighteningly terrible though :shock: ), he showed very clearly that people who are happy with a product rarely talk about it by giving an example from a different industry (and hilariously enough one that we compare McDune to all the time :lol: ) and he said the opposite for people who are unhappy with a product and continued his example. What's to misunderstand? :?

I went overboard with my explanation because I thought you were being snide, but that degree of explanation was unnecessary, he did a fine job in his first post. If you honestly didn't grasp his original post then you have my sincere apologies for going on like that, I was working on the assumption that you simply felt the need to write something negative and did so without really looking at what he had written. Again, I withdraw my comments about making unintelligent posts if you truly were perplexed by his post, I thought you were just being an ass.
:wink: :D
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If I read a good book I look for an online forum to discuss it. If it's bad I might go and say it sucks but I doubt it.

But this isn't Pinky & The Brian selling their own product and advertising it as such. They are selling it as DUNE based on FH's notes and outline.

If Burger King tells me they have a new burger (after not selling any for twenty years) and it's based on the old burger recipe, I'm going to complain if it tastes like shit. In fact, I'm going to ask for my money back. I'm also going to tell everyone I know not to go there.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you honestly had never heard or thought that upset people are more vocal than happy ones I don't know what planet you've been on :wink: , and I don't know how you could have missed that that was what he was saying.
Oh, I'm definitely familiar with the concept, although I consider it to be a pretty empty sentiment backed up by no data. Much like "the customer is always right," and "there's no such thing as bad publicity." And, honestly, I'm not sure it's even that true ... fans of [insert item or idea here] are often quite vocal with their support. Ah, fuck it, that's a sidebar for another time, perhaps. :)
A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you honestly didn't grasp his original post then you have my sincere apologies for going on like that, I was working on the assumption that you simply felt the need to write something negative and did so without really looking at what he had written.
No, it just didn't track for me, for some reason (I read it twice and I was just baffled). Again, now it seems clearer ... but I can't go back in time and figure out why it didn't before. (And, Simon, if you used the Burger King example as a play on our "McDune" riff, then you scored a nice goal there, and shame on me for not catching it. Well-played)

I won't deny that I thought it was a goofy post that I could take a shot at. It is clearer now; I'm not sure why it wouldn't register for me. Fatigue? The red haze I have to see through when I think of KJA?

I'll concede the point. He made a good effort and I just missed it.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

TheDukester wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you honestly had never heard or thought that upset people are more vocal than happy ones I don't know what planet you've been on :wink: , and I don't know how you could have missed that that was what he was saying.
Oh, I'm definitely familiar with the concept, although I consider it to be a pretty empty sentiment backed up by no data. Much like "the customer is always right," and "there's no such thing as bad publicity." And, honestly, I'm not sure it's even that true ... fans of [insert item or idea here] are often quite vocal with their support. Ah, fuck it, that's a sidebar for another time, perhaps. :)
A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you honestly didn't grasp his original post then you have my sincere apologies for going on like that, I was working on the assumption that you simply felt the need to write something negative and did so without really looking at what he had written.
No, it just didn't track for me, for some reason (I read it twice and I was just baffled). Again, now it seems clearer ... but I can't go back in time and figure out why it didn't before. (And, Simon, if you used the Burger King example as a play on our "McDune" riff, then you scored a nice goal there, and shame on me for not catching it. Well-played)

I won't deny that I thought it was a goofy post that I could take a shot at. It is clearer now; I'm not sure why it wouldn't register for me. Fatigue? The red haze I have to see through when I think of KJA?

I'll concede the point. He made a good effort and I just missed it.
Fair nuff. And I agree, if he was consciously making a play on our McDune comments then it was pretty well done (I suspect that's a coincidence though...)

Just for trivia's sake: As for the voracity of the saying, it is actually backed up by research data, and the statistic was actually 10:1 for number of people negative:positive reviews were passed on to by consumers at the last I checked (which has been a few years). We used to get stupid stats like that at work from marketing statistic companies all the time. boring.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Simon wrote:Dune is about my entertainment first and foremost.
This point I agree with - FH said it himself. But there's more...
Frank Herbert wrote:If you want to get anything across, you have to be entertaining first. If you start standing on a street corner, people will tune you out. We human beings tend to have very good filter systems in our heads to see and hear only what we want to see. But analogues give you a marvellous device for getting past that screening system, because people can be caught up in the drama of the story, be deep into the problems of it. Then later on, much later on, they say, Oh, my God, he was talking about this!" And they come out of it with a brand new view of what's happening in their world.

( http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/ch01.html )
This is one of the reasons why Dune is brilliant. :D

Is it unnecessary?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

unnecessary comment, but:
fantastic quote, Fish.
Thanks.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Have Frank Herbert's fans become a virtual lynch mob? I have to respect Simon for putting up with this crap, even though I don't know why he bothers. I haven't read the entire thread, but the bits I did read show that even when he's condescended to, and insulted, he still manages to remain civil.

Constantly pointing out misspelled words and grammatical errors are the sign of a weak troll.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

^^ I must say, I agree with you Mandy. Props to Simon for at least holding strong. I don't have to agree with him (and don't) to respect his poise in this discussion.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Edited.

Hell with it, I'll do this one, too, just to be thorough.
Last edited by TheDukester on 22 Oct 2008 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Tleilax Master B

TheDukester wrote:
Mandy wrote:Have Frank Herbert's fans become a virtual lynch mob? I have to respect Simon for putting up with this crap, even though I don't know why he bothers. I haven't read the entire thread, but the bits I did read show that even when he's condescended to, and insulted, he still manages to remain civil.

Constantly pointing out misspelled words and grammatical errors are the sign of a weak troll.
Oh, please.

Want me to take a couple of minutes and find about 15 examples of Simon's "civility"? He gives as good as he gets.
He's slipped before, but you don't have a whole mob of assholes pounding on you everytime you post something. This site is supposed to be about healthy discussion, and debate. Calling him "stupid" isn't doing a damn thing but making some of us OHers look like assholes. I, for one, am not. As a side note, he isn't really complaining about it.....

So, no, don't waste your time. We've all been dicks at some time or another. I don't think we need any examples.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mandy wrote:Constantly pointing out misspelled words and grammatical errors are the sign of a weak troll.
Agreed. I think we can figure out what he's saying quite easily.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Tleilax Master B wrote:This site is supposed to be about healthy discussion, and debate.
Really?

That might be an ideal that is talked about here, and it might have even been true when the site began. But it's miles from the reality of where it's at now. I've been here since the summer, and I lurked a bit before that, and I have yet to see "discussion" or "debate" beyond maybe clarifying a few points from the original six books (which is cool by me, not to mention educational, but it's hardly "debate").

I'd be interested to see all of these threads where preeks have been welcomed and "discussions" have taken place. Because that's not on the internet that I'm looking at right now.

But whatever. You guys clearly need someone to wear the black hat so that you can feel better about yourselves and the bashing that you yourselves have done in the past. It's some sort of guilt thing, I guess. I'm fine with that; it's not the first time I've seen people play the superiority card on a messageboard.

(BTW, did anyone notice that I actually threw some praise Simon's way in each of my last two posts on the subject? No? Well, that's about par for the course ...)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That was the idea when this forum was started.

Anyone if free to post any opinion they want. That's not to say they won't be ganged up on and beaten down, but what can I do about that.

Delete comments?

The truth is, Simon is the only fan of the new books who big enough balls to even try and has a thick enough skin and to take it.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:
Mandy wrote:Constantly pointing out misspelled words and grammatical errors are the sign of a weak troll.
Agreed. I think we can figure out what he's saying quite easily.
Well, the "weak troll" will just go ahead and edit those right out of existence, then.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:That was the idea when this forum was started.
I don't actually doubt that (although I've not gone back and read very many of the older threads). And you've always been very good about reminding people that no one will be silenced or censored, which is part of being a good admin/moderator.

I hope you understand that what I took exception to was the notion that I, personally, have somehow stifled "discussion" and "debate" here. I won't let shit like that stand, when it's clearly not true on a number of levels.
Tleilax Master B

TheDukester wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:This site is supposed to be about healthy discussion, and debate.
Really?

That might be an ideal that is talked about here, and it might have even been true when the site began. But it's miles from the reality of where it's at now. I've been here since the summer, and I lurked a bit before that, and I have yet to see "discussion" or "debate" beyond maybe clarifying a few points from the original six books (which is cool by me, not to mention educational, but it's hardly "debate").

I'd be interested to see all of these threads where preeks have been welcomed and "discussions" have taken place. Because that's not on the internet that I'm looking at right now.

But whatever. You guys clearly need someone to wear the black hat so that you can feel better about yourselves and the bashing that you yourselves have done in the past. It's some sort of guilt thing, I guess. I'm fine with that; it's not the first time I've seen people play the superiority card on a messageboard.

(BTW, did anyone notice that I actually threw some praise Simon's way in each of my last two posts on the subject? No? Well, that's about par for the course ...)

Are you wearing the black hat? I don't think my comments were directed specifically and exclusively at you (well, I fucking wrote them, so I know they weren't). Yeah, I feel much better about myself providing a miniscule amount of support to your whipping boy :roll: I'm now cleansed of my past transgressions..

Nobody is playing the superiority card asking for a little civility. I'm not planning on doing anything about it if you don't, so feel free to be an asshole if you are so inclined. Yes, yes, we noticed you said something nice. Considering I have never engaged you in the least on this site I fail to understand your comment about "par for the course", care to elaborate? Are you implying that I made the accusation that you "personally" are stifling discussion?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

For one thing, it's no secret that this forum consists mainly of OHs. I started it in response to Byron's banning and censorship and the same thing happening a Arrakeen.

Another, I really don't care if anyone discusses the new books at all, in fact I wish they never existed. I don't think they merit discussion.

Current events happen to revolve around the (bi)annual bowel movement of the hacks twain and that's what people want to talk about. There's nothing I can do about that.

My only hope is that one day they will stop and we can go back to discussing FH's books.
Last edited by Freakzilla on 22 Oct 2008 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Tleilax Master B wrote:Considering I have never engaged you in the least on this site I fail to understand your comment about "par for the course", care to elaborate?
Sure.

There's a lot of cherry-picking** here. I'm guilty of it myself.

(**I might be the only person who uses this expression. What I mean is just using only a part of someone else's words or ideas ... the part that benefits your own argument. As stated, I do it, too).

BTW, I appear to be up to two "assholes" and a "dick," (or maybe it's the other way around) at this point, albeit in a passive-aggressive manner. I don't really mind; I've been called worse. But, please, just say it: I really dislike P-A nonsense (my wife and I argue about it all the time, so I'm probably over-sensitive on the subject).
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

TheDukester wrote:Well, the "weak troll" will just go ahead and edit those right out of existence, then.
All done!

And, Simon, for the record, I actually agree with what some of the others are saying. At least you're hanging in there and defending what you believe to be true.

Also, in the interest of fairness, I'll give you a free one: I used to have trouble with "its" and "it's." To this day, I still pause when I'm typing either one.

True story: I was in college before I finally figured it out. Sad, but true.
A Thing of Eternity

TheDukester wrote: Also, in the interest of fairness, I'll give you a free one: I used to have trouble with "its" and "it's." To this day, I still pause when I'm typing either one.

True story: I was in college before I finally figured it out. Sad, but true.
Me too.
Tleilax Master B

TheDukester wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:Considering I have never engaged you in the least on this site I fail to understand your comment about "par for the course", care to elaborate?
Sure.

There's a lot of cherry-picking** here. I'm guilty of it myself.

(**I might be the only person who uses this expression. What I mean is just using only a part of someone else's words or ideas ... the part that benefits your own argument. As stated, I do it, too).

BTW, I appear to be up to two "assholes" and a "dick," (or maybe it's the other way around) at this point, albeit in a passive-aggressive manner. I don't really mind; I've been called worse. But, please, just say it: I really dislike P-A nonsense (my wife and I argue about it all the time, so I'm probably over-sensitive on the subject).
Well, I have a mouth like a sailor on shore leave, so I drop the term asshole and dick all the time. No specific offense is meant by it-I commonly refer to myself as being an asshole and I'm certain I meet my own definition of that term. :wink: And passive aggressive is not my style; so if it makes you feel better I think you were being a bit of an asshole to Simon. That's between you and him; I don't think you have necessarily been one to me.....yet :P

I'm trying to figure out where I cherry-picked, was it in my criticism of people calling Simon "stupid?" Quite honestly, I haven't looked back to see who made that specific comment, my memory was that it was actually sandrider, but either way it is irrelevant and I can't be bothered to go back and check.

I had only two points: 1) berating Simon (whoever is doing it, not you specifically) really doesn't do much to further "our" point. 2) I was trying to give a small measure of "props" to Simon for hanging in there and not running off and crying like a bitch with a skinned knee like most of the preeks that come this way.

Disregard this little interlude, and carry on. Assholes. :D
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Tleilax Master B wrote:... so if it makes you feel better I think you were being a bit of an asshole to Simon.
Oh, hell, I was being an asshole to him in at least every-other post. :)

My "cherry-picking" comment was global, BTW, not directed at anyone in particular. It's probably a phenomenon that happens at all forums.

I've asked myself in this last hour, "What made you [meaning myself] want to go toe-to-toe with Simon like that?" At first, nothing came to me, but in re-reading the thread, I think I know what happened: I wasn't too fond of seeing a two-week old thread bumped with the same old "Since you guys didn't heckle KJA in Dayton, then all OHers suck" argument. For whatever reason, that got me going. I'm feeling much better, though. :)

And, yes, playing Grammar Police isn't very cool (or the best way to get chicks). So, for the record, I'll say that I was wrong on that point. Simon, I've edited all of that nonsense out; it was over-the-top and I apologize.

And, as long as I'm at it, I'll add an apology to Kevin J. Anderson. Kevin, I'm sor- ... ha! got you! No way that's ever going to happen. I go to bed each night, Kevvie, hoping that you contract a very large (but non-fatal), itchy, and socially unacceptable skin rash.

+++++

Man, Simon's head is going to explode. Every time he goes away, four pages get added to this thread ...