The Music Suggestion Thread

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: The Music Suggestion Thread

Post by GamePlayer »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Hey GP, what Green Day songs do you like?
I mostly enjoy the material from Dookie and Nimrod, which largely represents the time I was following them. I didn't like much else or perhaps didn't feel enticed, by what I heard after those albums, to follow subsequent releases. However, I did enjoy some stuff from American Idiot and made a point to listen to it. Some bands have unusual evolutions like that. By far most bands hit peaks during midlife and then fade away. But some bands bounce around, hitting their peaks at highly unusual points in their band chronology. Red Hot Chili Peppers were also like that. I was a huge fan of their 1991 album Blood Sugar Sex Magic but didn't touch them again until nearly a decade later when they released Californication. With a few rare bands, sometimes the best really is yet to come :)

Most of my favorite Green Day songs are from Dookie, mostly because I find it a solid album from beginning to end. It's one of those rare albums where nearly every track is listenable again and again. I suppose if I had to play favorites, I'd choose Burnout, Long View, Pulling Teeth, Basket Case and When I Come Around, but I don't think I could separate the songs from the album.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:
Sandwurm88 wrote:Hey GP, what Green Day songs do you like?
I mostly enjoy the material from Dookie and Nimrod, which largely represents the time I was following them. I didn't like much else or perhaps didn't feel enticed, by what I heard after those albums, to follow subsequent releases. However, I did enjoy some stuff from American Idiot and made a point to listen to it. Some bands have unusual evolutions like that. By far most bands hit peaks during midlife and then fade away. But some bands bounce around, hitting their peaks at highly unusual points in their band chronology. Red Hot Chili Peppers were also like that. I was a huge fan of their 1991 album Blood Sugar Sex Magic but didn't touch them again until nearly a decade later when they released Californication. With a few rare bands, sometimes the best really is yet to come :)

Most of my favorite Green Day songs are from Dookie, mostly because I find it a solid album from beginning to end. It's one of those rare albums where nearly every track is listenable again and again. I suppose if I had to play favorites, I'd choose Burnout, Long View, Pulling Teeth, Basket Case and When I Come Around, but I don't think I could separate the songs from the album.
Exactly how I would have answered that question too, though I did love Green Day's album before last, and I am hearing great things about the new one.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:Exactly how I would have answered that question too, though I did love Green Day's album before last, and I am hearing great things about the new one.
They can be a very fun band. Their tracks have a lot of energy that's contagious. I've not yet heard much about their latest album. But since you mentioned it, I'll make it a point to check it out.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I hate greenday. I have my reasons, most of them include having been a guitar teaching and having had to teach that stuff.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"A Thing of Eternity sucks! I hate you, and I hate the bands you like!" :wink: :P :lol:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I hate greenday. I have my reasons, most of them include having been a guitar teaching and having had to teach that stuff.
Wannabe punks. :snooty:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I hate greenday. I have my reasons, most of them include having been a guitar teaching and having had to teach that stuff.
That's another good point. I love their "political" album that just repeats jr high punk slogans over and over. :roll:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Hey what's wrong with that? Junior high punk slogans are *still* a key component of my political discourse :).

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

A band I have not listen to in a while: Extreme

He-Man Woman Hater The intro is a little long (almost 2 mins) but give it a listen.

Get the Funk Out
I actually had to explain to my young son that they were not saying a certain curse word in this one. The look he gave me when I started playing it on the computer was funny. He thought his Momma had lost her mind or something. Today was the first time I ever saw the video to this song....no comment. :mrgreen:

and my favorites from them:
Hole Hearted

More Than Words

I think Hole Hearted is my fav of the 4 listed above.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
A Thing of Eternity

Hunchback Jack wrote:Hey what's wrong with that? Junior high punk slogans are *still* a key component of my political discourse :).

HBJ
hey, I guess me too.

Nazi punks fuck off

I used to get in trouble for having that patch on my jacket. I told the teachers that as long as they we'rent nazi's they needn't be offended. :wink:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Nazi *punks*, even. Regular old Nazis needn't be offended either.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Hunchback Jack wrote:Nazi *punks*, even. Regular old Nazis needn't be offended either.

HBJ
:lol: :lol:
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I guess by the real definition of punk, Green Day aren't that punk. They make good music though, which is all I care about. I liked Dookie and AI the best, and I have listened to all the tracks on the new album, although I don't have it. Some reviews have been over-praising it, but it's some of their better stuff. Static Age, Peacemaker, and East Jesus Nowhere are all pretty catchy and for the most part any of the 18 songs is listen-able to. American Eulogy is also decent. My favorites from Dookie are Burnout, Having a Blast, Longview, When I Come Around, and Emenius Sleepus.

Oh yea, and Kings of Leon suck, as does most of the shit that comes out nowadays besides GD and Weezer, and Sum 41. And I am extremely nervous about Blink 182's comeback because I didn't really like The White Album, and they said they will be picking up after where they left off. Pick off where you were after Enema of the State or Take Off Your Pants and Jacket! Those were their high points.
A Thing of Eternity

All pop punk bands suck. This is a blanket statement, covering everyone from blink182 to sum41 to greenday to whoever the new suck artist is.

Yarr.

Why? Why does britney spears suck? Similar reasons. Suck is suck, and it has been identified. They all make good product, good entertainment, but not good art.

How's that for a biased statement? :wink:
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

AToE, I think I have the views you have about music; about movies, but not music. I guess its just different for me, 'cause most movies are the same in each genre: action, drama, horror, and comedy, but songs are just, i dunno, more flexible?. What movies do you like, Stanley Kubrick, F.F Coppola, Hitchcock, and the like?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Sorry to say dude, but that is punk these days. That's why I like em.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

LOL! A definition of punk, here? Yeah, we got a real underground at this site :P :lol:

Don't let anyone pull that "sellout" shit on you Sandwurm88. I've known way too many lousy, angst-ridden musicians to fall for that tripe.

IMO, crying blasphemy at the commercial success of these insular genres is a wail for the likes of KJA fans. Those who live by notions that anything popular has no cred are reaching for the dubious virtue of exclusivity. I believe the only semi-reliable benchmark for good music (beyond personal taste) has been innovation in contrast to the accepted norms. That's the real reason most pop music sucks, because by the time a musical genre devolves all the way into pure pop, it has become inoffensive and compromised product that is already creatively spent. Correspondingly, paradoxical innovation is also the reason why artificially maintaining an insular genre in a state of perpetual obscurity results in a lot of lousy, uninspiring underground music (and film for that matter).

The mainstream is the mainstream for a good reason: it's where talent meets taste. Always has been, always will be. Fully embrace the mainstream, the individuality of the art dies. Fully recoil from the mainstream, the potential of the art dies. As much as people love to demonize the mainstream, it's where the best rest. Don't let anyone tell you different.
A Thing of Eternity

My issue has nothing to do with their success, just the fact that any experienced musician can listen to their stuff and tell within seconds that there is zero effort going on to make real art, only to make something easily stomachable and entertaining. The KJAs of music. If people like it, that's fine - I like to listen to some pop music sometimes too, but I don't call it good art, just good entertainment. Music is a style of art that really incorperates so much entertainment (even in the good stuff) that it's hard sometimes to weed out the ones that are truly lacking in the art department.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

THE best Punk band ever. No ifs no buts. Big Black - L Dopa.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Hmm... guess I won't be getting into punk anytime soon then.

Thanks Eyes, Extreme was pretty good.

I try not to make a decision on music based on how 'mainstream' it is but so far I've found the less mainstream the better - and I mean within certain genres because if you talk about liking underground genres you end up listening to some awful stuff in the name of ideology (black metal anybody?).

Anyway:

Elements by Atheist

Nice to hear technical music with feelings.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Here's a little classical for a change, Mozart - Adagio & Fugue in C Minor. It's not the nicest version I've heard but I've done the best I can.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

And here's a little electro for you all today, Any old Tangerine Dream fans around these day? Well if there are I'm sure you'll enjoy the track from 78 called Frank Herbert by Klaus Schulze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtE7--vetE&NR=1

edit to add: here's a variation on a theme as it were, Node from the UK circa 94.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raVdU8HzFPc&NR=1&fmt5
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

One I'm listening to at the moment:

Harvest

Enjoy.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Keane, Everybody's Changing -

The aborigine guy has stolen Sandrider's beard. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VWOitjODw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.