Wanna go commando with KJA?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: Wanna go commando with KJA?

Post by Mandy »

Just read something interesting on The Harriet Klausner appreciation blog.

http://harriet-rules.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ystem.html
Turns out what we call shilling has a politically correct, scientific-sounding name: viral marketing. So, Harriet Klausner, Morris, Gunny, W.Boudville, et al. are not shills, they're viral marketeers. OK. There's a curious article in the Financial Times, Advertisers brace for online viral marketing curbs, check it out:

Advertisers in the US are bracing themselves for regulatory changes that they fear will curtail their efforts to tap into the fast-growing online social media phenomenon.

Revised guidelines on endorsements and testimonials by the Federal Trade Commission, now under review and expected to be adopted, would hold companies liable for untruthful statements made by bloggers and users of social networking sites who receive samples of their products.

The guidelines would also hold bloggers liable for the statements they make about products.

If a blogger received a free sample of skin lotion and then incorrectly claimed the product cured eczema, the FTC could sue the company for making false or unsubstantiated statements. The blogger could be sued for making false representations. [...]

Advertisers have significantly increased spending on social media and word-of-mouth campaigns, even during the recession. Through blogs and services such as Facebook and Twitter, companies are able to communicate more directly with consumers. Spending on social media marketing [read: shilling] reached $1.35bn in 2007 and is expected to reach $3.7bn by 2011, according to the Word of Mouth Marketing Association.

The advertising industry has argued that the revised regulations are too stringent and would stifle innovation in the emerging field of social media. It remains in favour of self-regulation. [yeah right] [...]

“The guides needed to be updated to address not only the changes in technology, but also the consequences of new marketing practices,” said Richard Cleland, assistant director for the FTC’s division of advertising practices. “Word-of-mouth marketing is not exempt from the laws of truthful advertising.” [tell this to Jeff Bezos]

The main target of the new guidelines appears to be the widespread practice of viral marketing in which companies recruit non- employees to talk up products in exchange for samples or promotions. [See our list of Our Friends Top Reviewers below]

Companies regularly offer free samples and concert tickets to bloggers and journalists, in the hope of generating press. However, determining which bloggers are acting as an agent of a company may prove difficult.[no kidding! They "forget" to mention themselves, and how would you know otherwise? LE Cantrell likes to push this point.]
Link to the article http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9a58f44c-1fae ... ck_check=1 You have to register at Financial Times to read their articles.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Wow, she reads like KJA writes! She's got quite the growing fan club, huh? :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Yeah :)

The point of that article, though, is that if you're a shill for someone you've got to state that you're getting paid for the review. If KJA is paying people with swag for reviews then they should have to say so.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mandy wrote:Yeah :)

The point of that article, though, is that if you're a shill for someone you've got to state that you're getting paid for the review. If KJA is paying people with swag for reviews then they should have to say so.
Yeah, but how are they going to prove or enforce that?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I don't know how they're going to enforce that. Maybe that's why they wanted their site to be a secret.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, I'll be doing a little enforcing over on Amazon when Winds blows out the doors. At least on people who use their real name on both sites.

I downloaded the entire members list, remember. ;)

(Only current as of that Friday morning, of course, but that's about 160 people. Minus a lot of repeats where the doofuses evidently couldn't handle the ultra-simple registration instructions and redid it. One guy was registered six or seven times. :roll: Yeah, KJA draws the smart ones. :lol: )

I'm going to prepare a message to post (or include in comments) in response to "reviews" by KJASF members. Any suggestions?
The above "review" was written by a member of the KJA Special Forces website (www.kjasf.com), where fans of KJA are asked, among other activities, to "post reviews on Amazon.com and other sites", and therefore may have been posted in expectation of receiving "exclusive member benefits" and "rewards".
How's that for a start? ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Give 'em hell! :twisted:
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And some of them just can't help giving themselves away....

New activity in the Dune group: New products were tagged for the first time by Daniel MacCurdy Burnet.
Daniel MacCurdy Burnet's profile
"TheOmnius"
:roll:

Checking TheOmnius' email address in the KJASF members list I see it begins with "Daniel".

Got one. He posted 23 "reviews" (most just a few lines) of KJA products on April 25; 3 on April 24; and 28 on April 23. Before that he had posted only one review (of a New Jedi Order book by Sean Williams) back in 2003.

No, there's no shilling going to be going on. :roll:

OK, here's a test case. GOING IN!!! :twisted:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Chig, you're a fucking genius.

It would be interesting to post the description of the proposed new rules over on kjasf, just to see them squirm.

HBJ
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

You bastard - that's not a very nice thing to do....

...Good hunting :D :lol:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:
The above "review" was written by a member of the KJA Special Forces website (http://www.kjasf.com), where fans of KJA are asked, among other activities, to "post reviews on Amazon.com and other sites", and therefore may have been posted in expectation of receiving "exclusive member benefits" and "rewards".

CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

At the risk of my imagination and mental well-being, that was my first thought too :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, that took less time than I feared. :D

I just commented on his Dune-related "reviews", either posting just this
The above "review" was written by a member of the KJA Special Forces website (www.kjasf.com), where fans of KJA are asked, among other activities, to "post reviews on Amazon.com and other sites", and therefore may have been posted in expectation of receiving "exclusive member benefits" and "rewards".

This particular member posted 23 "reviews" (most just a few lines) of KJA products on April 25; 3 on April 24; and 28 on April 23. Before that he had posted only one review (of a New Jedi Order book by Sean Williams) back in 2003.
Or adding a few comments about the review in question before or after. The dipshit reused this bit in several of his posts (note the underlined part):
The prequels and sequels written by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert have some notable differences in style and pacing, but the story and characters remain true, thanks to extensive notes on the books written by Brian Herbert and numerous conversations had with him while Brian Herbert was growing up.
This one's a real brain trust.

Which explains why he's doing what he is and how. What do you think, should I email Kevin and thank him for creating the KJASF site? :lol:

(Just kidding. Let's let him/them find out in his own good time. ;) )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
The prequels and sequels written by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert have some notable differences in style and pacing, but the story and characters remain true, thanks to extensive notes on the books written by Brian Herbert and numerous conversations had with him while Brian Herbert was growing up.
This one's a real brain trust.
There is no emoticon to properly express my disgust at this so this one will have to do...

:puke:
~Pink Snowman
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

http://WWW.KJASF.COM
WWW.Kevin's Jack AsS Fans.Com
WWW.Kevin's Jack Ass Stupid Fans.Com
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

I've been out of the loop for a week or so, and i come back to find.... this.

Chigger, words really cannot express how much i support and enjoy EVERYTHING you do concerning KJA. I've no qualms about putting my name publically to anything acknowledging KJA as the, well the KJA that he is (i'm of the opinion that trying to compare KJA to anything previously known is to miss a perfect opportunity to create new language plumbing the depths of abysmal writing, egotistical behaviour and muppetry fan-boy worship).

Keep it up, keep us all posted. I dont know if it means much to you to know that you speak and act for a great many of us on your little crusade.

You remind me of Taraza, when she exclaims that "one of us could defeat them all"
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Bijaz wrote:http://WWW.KJASF.COM
Kevin just administers sexual favours.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Bijaz wrote:http://WWW.KJASF.COM
www.Kevin just administers sexual favours.com
www.kevin's junior ass sucking fanboys.com
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:oops:

Maybe I kinda jumped the gun? I still agree with the idea (put forth by Ampoliros?) of waiting on posting our own reviews on Winds, letting them build up a bit of shill steam. ;)

But this guy was just abusing it so badly, I couldn't help myself. :(

I ... also started a new discussion in the Dune Community:
As the release date for The Winds of Dune approaches, there has been a development which I think the Dune Community on Amazon should be made aware of.

Last month, Kevin J. Anderson started up a special, membership-by-invitation-only website called "KJA Special Forces" (www.kjasf.com). KJA fans who join are expressly asked, among other activities, to "post reviews on Amazon.com and other sites", in return for which they are promised various "exclusive member benefits" and "rewards".

I can't see how this can be viewed as anything other than a deliberate attempt to recruit shills to post overly favorable "reviews" of KJA's Dune and other books and unfairly manipulate the results of the customer review system here. With the deletion of many unfavorable, honest reviews of the newer Dune books that has taken place here in the last two years (while single-or-few-line, five-star "reviews" were left stand), many of us have suspected shill activity. Now we have apparent proof of it.

One member of the KJASF site has already gone on a "review rampage" here, posting 54 "reviews" (many consisting of just a few lines) of KJA books over a three-day period at the end of April.

If you value the integrity of the customer review system at all, especially as it pertains to the Dune books sold here, please help watch for suspicious activity in the reviews.
On a bit of a rampage meself, I guess.... :(
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

(You got the Comic Life software, too? :D )
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Nice one, Chig. Someone appears to have replied already. ;)

Edited to add: and a dissenting voice! One that completely misses the point of your original post, mind you.

HBJ
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I'm in on this fight.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Looks like we all are. ;)

Surprise, surprise, there's a Brian Conway who's a member of KJASF.

He's also a BellSouth user, so you gotta wonder if we should call him RaidKillsBugsDead (or Miss California?), even though RKBD explicitly stated he wasn't a member of KJASF. ;)

It's still Golden Week here and the weather is crappy so I'm spinning my wheels indoors instead of puttering about in the yarden, so I went through the Members list and grepped out all the names and mail addresses. And guess what, I discovered KJA's alter ego! :twisted: (Different name, same email. :roll: )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:... so you gotta wonder if we should call him RaidKillsBugsDead ...
Seems like a safe bet to me.

I actually thought the writing style was similar, too. At least on his first Hairy Ticks post; the second one had some really obvious deliberate misspellings to try to mask the scent.

Man, they make it too easy. It's like being terminally clueless is some sort of pretard requirement.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.