!!_Forum Suggestions

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, SandRider

SandRider
Watermaster

!!_Forum Suggestions

Post by SandRider »

ITT : member suggestions for forum format, thread sorting, discussion of the forum itself, &etc.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Forum Suggestions

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm stoked. First thing we need is people reading Chapterhouse and Heretics. The last book I read was GEoD so I'll try to get on that ASAP.

I think it's highly unlikely we'll find much information in GEoD (aside from maybe the odd tiny tidbit) and it's almost certain that we'll find 100% nothing in the first 3 books.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It could be worth while going over DM for content re Bene Tleilax, It really is 20 years since I read CoD are they mentioned in that at a ll?
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I was going to start a consensus poll for something like: Consensus: Gholas of Paul, Chani will be created.

I didn't see the option to create a poll in this forum though.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

the poll option will be fixed shortly ....

Thus sayeth The Tidwell ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
inhuien

Re: 003_ Forum Suggestions

Post by inhuien »

Suggestion, merge the where others have gone threads.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

inhuien wrote:Suggestion, merge the where others have gone threads.
Agreed. Frankly, I find them largely irrelevant. Not to belittle the efforts of those authors, but for us I think a blank slate would be healthier than trying to compare fan fiction.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I agree.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

roger wilco
ImageImage

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Might make it difficult to discuss the merits and flaws of each one individually.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I agree - but I think Advent in the only one worth talking about

one thread for it,and a combined for all the others ?
ImageImage

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Sounds good.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've also still not made it all the way thru Advent - I'm still not used to reading long things, like a novel, on the computer screen -
I may have to take the file into my buddy who runs the printing shop his grandaddy started in the 20s - they printed the local paper
for many years, alot of the equipment is still down in the basement - they were one of the first people in town to go to the digital
printing things - before the franchise copy businesses got here; anyway, he prints all kinds of things for me really cheap, much
cheaper than all the ink would cost me for my home printer - plus, I don't have a printer than can produce super high quality poster
size prints for about a dime apiece - he's also real good with fonts and paper - I've taken him a .jpeg image of things likes forms and
paperwork used by the Confederacy during The War, and he's chosen paper and set it up and produced a stack of the forms that are
as close to authentic as you could get...

but back to the topic:

one of the reasons I thought of separate threads was for people who had read all these things to provide comments (and synopses)
for those who haven't had the time or inclination to read them - If someone asked me what the main point of Advent was, I'd have to
say I didn't know - I haven't read enough to figure just what usul is driving at ...

also, in each thread, I'd like to see a compiled list of the "framework" of the independent author's vision of Dune7 ...
and I think I like "independent author" over "fan fiction" ...
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: !!_Forum Suggestions

Post by SandRider »

seems like I made a rule here about a moratorium on McDune7 discussion -
I was wrong about that ...

reposted from "Finished Chapterhouse this Morning" thread:
one of the dogs was having a chase-dream last night, rolled over and started clawing my face;
after I got him awake and on the floor, I settled back down, and right before I drifted back to sleep,
I thought I really should read McDune007 all the way thru - on the heels of that, I thought I should
first re-read Heretics & Chapterhouse all the way thru, as novels; I don't think I've done that in a
long, long time ....

since I have not read the McDune007 in its' entirety, I've been out-of-the-loop on the thinking about
what elements of the story could've possibly been Frank's, if any part of the "outline" tale is true ...

I've become intrigued with the claim that Frank's primary idea for Dune7 somehow was "tied" to the
Butlerian Jihad ... and I've been on the hate-wagon about Keith turning Marty & Daniel into transvestite
robots, and the Duncan undoing the entire reason for Leto's Sacrifice .... and having been extremely
quick (too quick, possibly) to dismiss anything the Hacks Twain have stated, ever, about anything,
I've never given serious thought to the issue ...

also, as I've stated before, I did not read the prequels and had little interest in them, altho I was aware
of their existence from grocery store check-out lines and trolling for runaways at bus stations; I did not
get involved in any of the internet discussions until both parts of the McDune007 were in paperback, &
I purchased them together (at a grocery-store check-out), based solely on the "from Frank Herbert's
Outline" blurb on the back cover .... so I was late to the speculation, anyway, and have not devoted
any serious brain-energy to it ... mocking tehKJA and cyberbullying Innerwebz BlahgFiction Writers has
occupied most of my time ...
ImageImage

Smiley

Re: !!_Forum Suggestions

Post by Smiley »

I am not seeing a good thread for how characters would go about thier goals? might be covered elsewhere, but one of the things in hunters that hurts is that they are trying to convert the HMs by the sword and that does not seem logical or very effective. I know Frank would probably only devote a paragraph to it but I see it being done way differently. slowly.

Also, if there are any notes on Dune 7 from Frank Hebert, I get the feeling that the face dancer myriad, or something like it might have been something he thought of. There was something about Face Dancers being communal organisms.. maybe Daniel and Marty were just represenntatives of different factions, each one encompassing thousands of face dancers. maybe they wanted thier turn at playing shepard.

EDit: thread instead of forum spelling errors. Typed this while drinking