Contest Winners

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Talos Aquinas

Talos Aquinas

Contest Winners

Post by Talos Aquinas »

The seven judges have reached their decision and here are the results for the first Dune Fan Fiction Contest.

1st Place: Entry #5, by Tleszer

2nd Place: A tie between Entry #7, by Dante, and Entry #11, by Semuta

3rd Place: Entry #4, by Eyes High

The judges also wanted to give special mention to Entry #6, by Mahnmut.

Congratulations to the winners and our thanks to everyone who submitted an entry to the contest.

One judge also included this special message:
My heartfelt thanks to all these authors — especially those who delved back into Frank's Dune to speculate on the thoughts and feelings of the lesser characters .... a "third person" take on the events and personalities must be considered 'legitimate' — Frank created a large universe of diverse human beings, each with their own motives and perspectives ... fertile ground for 'fan fiction', to agree or disagree, to support or oppose .... kudos & cookies for all.
—SandRider
Talos Aquinas

Re: Contest Winners

Post by Talos Aquinas »

And here is a breakdown of the votes cast by the judges:

For first place, Entry #5 received 5 votes. #6 and #4 received 1 vote each.

For second place, #11 and #7 tied with 2 votes each. Entries #1, #5 and #6 received 1 vote each.

For third place, #4 received 3.5 votes (3 straight plus 1 tie). Entries #6, #7 and #8 each received 1 vote, and #11 received 0.5 vote (the tie vote).
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Well done the winners and commiserations the rest, who submitted #11?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shhh: You're not supposed to ask that! :naughty:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:shock: I didn't expect to win after reading the later entries, though SandRider's comments in that thread gave me a feeling of hope. It was hard not to even get to say "Thanks."

Congratulations to everyone who participated. It was a great way to celebrate Frank Herbert and Dune (especially since yesterday was his "birthday"). It was quite fun and it would be great to have more contests like this in the future.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Congrats Tleszer, great job! :clap: :dance: :clap:

And way to go, Dante, Mahnmut, and the mystery writer. Well done!

And thanks to everyone who wrote a story to help this first Dune Fan-Fic Contest be a success. :mrgreen:

Now, time for the opinions how how each story could improve ? .... :shifty:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Thanks, Eyes!
Eyes High wrote:Now, time for the opinions how how each story could improve ? .... :shifty:
I'm looking for that as well, especially since there's always room for improvement.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Eyes High wrote:And thanks to everyone who wrote a story to help this first Dune Fan-Fic Contest be a success. :mrgreen:
Couldn't've said it better. Thanks everyone, and congrats to the winners and notables alike!

Do we need to wait a year for the next one?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

How about we do two per year, every six months. One annually for serious in-universal, canonical works, and one at a six month lag, annually, for humorous, slash or satirical stuff?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:How about we do two per year, every six months. One annually for serious in-universal, canonical works, and one at a six month lag, annually, for humorous, slash or satirical stuff?
That sounds like a good idea. :)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'll be posting some comments in each storie's thread, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the other judges write, and talking with the writers. As you can see, I'm the jerk who voted for 2 seperate entries for 3rd place.

My personal vote was this:

First: Entry 5

Second: Entry 7

Third: Tied between Entry 4 and Entry 11

If there was a 4th place it would be Entry #1

Are we going to find out who wrote the rest of the stories? We can just leave them to self identify in their own threads, or whatever.

EDIT: Who's Dante?
Mahnmut

Post by Mahnmut »

Congratulations to the top three winners. Well deserved by all. It doesn't matter if you're a professional writer, an amateur, or just dabble in the word. It takes a little gumption to put your work out there to be judged good, bad or indifferent. I personally had a lot of fun writing my story and thank you all for the special mention. To get three out of seven judges to pick my story for 1st... 2nd... and 3rd is quite satisfying. I look forward to the next contest with relish and mustard.

A special congrats to my partner in crime over at Worm's RPG... way to go Eyes.
"Selcouth"
A Thing of Eternity

Mahnmut wrote:Congratulations to the top three winners. Well deserved by all. It doesn't matter if you're a professional writer, an amateur, or just dabble in the word. It takes a little gumption to put your work out there to be judged good, bad or indifferent. I personally had a lot of fun writing my story and thank you all for the special mention. To get three out of seven judges to pick my story for 1st... 2nd... and 3rd is quite satisfying. I look forward to the next contest with relish and mustard.

A special congrats to my partner in crime over at Worm's RPG... way to go Eyes.
And it was especially vexing to us to not be able to put you in the top 3 with those votes, we argued for a good few days about how best to combine each judge's scores for the most fair and accurate results.

Also, that vote for first that you got came from, in my opinion, our most illustrious judge (I'll let them reveal themselves. :wink: ).
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Thing, I can hardly wait to read your suggestions/observations (along with the rest of the judges) for the stories.

Thanks Mahn.
Talos Aquinas

Post by Talos Aquinas »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Are we going to find out who wrote the rest of the stories? We can just leave them to self identify in their own threads, or whatever.

EDIT: Who's Dante?
I suppose there is no harm in revealing the identities of all the authors...

#1 - Eyes High

#2 - Eyes High

#3 - Robspierre

#4 - Eyes High

#5 - Tleszer

#6 - Mahnmut

#7 - Dante

#8 - Dante

#9 - chanilover

#10 - DuneFishUK

#11 - Semuta

Dante is a fellow fighter against stupidity in all its forms over on FED2k. Semuta is not, to the best of our knowledge, the person who goes by "semuta" here. (We initially had only his real name and had to check what user name he wanted to be known by; there were some communication problems which precluded making it available until now.)
A Thing of Eternity

Talos Aquinas wrote:
#1 - Eyes High

#2 - Eyes High

#3 - Robspierre

#4 - Eyes High

#5 - Tleszer

#6 - Mahnmut

#7 - Dante

#8 - Dante

#9 - chanilover

#10 - DuneFishUK

#11 - Semuta
:shock: :lol: That's awesome, I totally called #9 being by CL, sorry for coming down so hard on it bud! :lol: It was pretty funny.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Can we edit the Contest Entry thread titles to include the authors tags?
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

inhuien wrote:Can we edit the Contest Entry thread titles to include the authors tags?
I think Talos, or one of the mods/admin would have to go in and do that ... but then again, I'm not very computer knowledgeable so why am I even responding..... :oops: I was suppose to be in hiding for a month after the names came out.... :scared-yipes: bye :techie-hiding:
Last edited by Eyes High on 10 Oct 2010 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Eyes High wrote:
inhuien wrote:Can we edit the Contest Entry thread titles to include the authors tags?
I think Talos, or one of the mods/admin would have to go in and do that ... but then again, I'm not very computer knowledgeable so why am I even responding..... :oops:
You're quite right eyes, I think it would be a fitting gesture.
Talos Aquinas

Post by Talos Aquinas »

I trust the changes just made will be satisfactory.

(I begin to understand why the First Machines decided even Andromeda was still too close... :? )
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

wow.

I'm not sure what to say, I think I'm still a little .... stunned ...

it's not that I don't think GreenAss is an above-average intelligent person,
or capable of producing such a fine piece of short fiction, so close in
mood and feeling and intent to Frank ... I think I'm just having a hard time
accepting that he actually did it ...

wow.

well, this makes me very happy, indeed ....
Tleszer, very proud of you, Son ...
you get cookie & marijuana :
:cookie sm: :obscene-smokingweed:

also, if it hasn't been done already, one of you with a secret back-door com channel
to Merrit should send him this story .... and one of the sock-puppets should post it
Over There in the FanFic section, and all the other sock puppets should chime in with
"now that's the kind of Dune I want to read" ..... and everybody should flood Keith's
emails and wordfire with it, with a comment like "look here, dipshit - this is what a
writer writes ... douchebag; &etc...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Excellent entries everyone - and congratulations to the winners.

I love the way this started on Brian's birthday and ended near-as-dammit on Frank's :)

(Looking forward to the next on already, I hereby pledge that I will spend more than 2 hours writing next time (coincidentally the length of the train journey home from London on submission's eve :think: ))
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Good job to all, contestants and judges alike.

I'm still pleasantly surprised by the sheer number of entries. I would have guess maybe five, tops.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I had suggested before, and it's been suggested since, that this be a bi-annual (twice-yearly) event ...

and BTW, right now, can someone clear up for me how to distinguish a twice-yearly vs. every-two-years?
biannual vs. biannually ? WTF? I've ran into this lately as the Fort Stockton Muster has been changed
from yearly (annual) to every-other-year (biWTF) ... it just don't make no sense for me to have type
what I just did up there, a clarification in parens ....

I'd like to suggest that the "Fan Fiction" forum be arranged so that each contest will have it's
own category, within the same forum - I don't know if anyone thinks any of the rules need to
be tampered with; altho I can see changing the theme from time to time - f'instance, I'd like to
see a whole slew of short stories set in the "Dune7" period ... and also, since Brian Pherbert opened
up the can of worms, I could see a contest based on the Butlerian Jihad - Orthodox Herbertarian
POV's on what we think Frank intended it to be ...

anyway, keep each contest in a separate space, for future readers and comments - and I think
we should all go back and reread all the entries and offer comments - I know Eyes High has been
trying to solicit comments, which makes sense now that I see three of the entries were hers -
I think she really, really wants some feedback, and with the effort she made, I think she deserves
it, as does everyone else ...

I think the "Jacurutu/Hairy Ticks Fan Fiction Contest" could/should be a center point, an anchor
for this site, like Freak's Reading Group, and become one of the main reasons-for-being here ...

(I also suggest that the title be Orthodox Herbertarian Fiction .... some of this stuff is much
better than "fanfiction", an putting the OH on it associates it Jacurutu, the Chiggerblahg, T(A)U, and
whatever it is you people are doing with the Facebook ...)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SandRider wrote:and BTW, right now, can someone clear up for me how to distinguish a twice-yearly vs. every-two-years?
biannual vs. biannually ? WTF?
Twice a year is Semiannual