Why does Chani have red hair?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Superdog

Why does Chani have red hair?

Post by Superdog »

That always kinda confused me. She would be 3/4 Arab, right? Red hair would be pretty unusual, considering it is recessive. Just a random thought, and maybe I'm completely missing something.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Why does Chani have red hair?

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

We discussed this recently actually, the conclusion was that Fremen aren't Arab.

Also, not sure if you knew this, but red hair isn't just a European thing. I think I've seen Arabs with red hair, and I know for sure that a lot of Indians have dark red hair. I think it might pop up in Australian natives too.

Also, even if they were mostly Arab, those recessive genes can stick around for a long time. If there was a red head generations back, it can pop up again. (I'm a red head who's half Ukrainian, the red hair on the Uke side is I think 4 or 5 generations back).
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Like AToE said, red hair pops up all the time regardless of race or ethnicity. You can go generations with everyone having one hair color then suddenly have a redhead. It's good like that.

Genghis Khan is thought to have been a redhead with either blue or green eyes (though there's also some "experts" that think he was actually European).
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Language (Arabic) and lifestyle (adapted to desert life) really have nothing to do with ethnicity. Think of all the different ethnic backgrounds of people who now speak English as a native language, many of them without a drop of English blood. ;)

If we posit something like the explanation in The Dune Encyclopedia for why their Arabic is so little changed from that of our time (i.e., that once their wild Reverend Mothers achieved access to Other Memory, they reeducated the people in the old form of their language and thereafter exercised a regulative effect on it), then we cannot deny that there are Arabs in their ancestry, but it would be very wrong to think of the Fremen as being identical to our Arabs. 450 Herbert-generations (46.5 years?) have probably shuffled the deck pretty thoroughly. (Unless you make some pretty outrageous assumptions; for example, that the people who became the Zensunni were like the Jews and tried to breed only among themselves as much as possible.)
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Also, not sure if you knew this, but red hair isn't just a European thing. I think I've seen Arabs with red hair, and I know for sure that a lot of Indians have dark red hair. I think it might pop up in Australian natives too.
It was a Neanderthal thing, too, Thing, wasn't it?
A Thing of Eternity

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Also, not sure if you knew this, but red hair isn't just a European thing. I think I've seen Arabs with red hair, and I know for sure that a lot of Indians have dark red hair. I think it might pop up in Australian natives too.
Rings a bell but I have no real idea. There's that whole can of worms too, is Neanderthal blood my blood, or not? Let's leave them in the can.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:
Rings a bell but I have no real idea. There's that whole can of worms too, is Neanderthal blood my blood, or not? Let's leave them in the can.
Evidence of human/Neanderthal interbreeding
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

A Thing of Eternity

Redstar wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:
Evidence of human/Neanderthal interbreeding
Trust me, nothing is clear cut. My girlfriend's teacher was a hybrid supporter and so taught her with that slant, but for all that evidence there are good arguments against it. I find hybridization pretty likely, but I'm not an expert, and remember that as of now, the majority (vast majority as I understand it) still support the no-hybrid side of the argument.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Chani is a red head, because redheads are cool. (just with a hot temper) ;)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Idwal Brugh

Post by Idwal Brugh »

SandChigger wrote:Language (Arabic) and lifestyle (adapted to desert life) really have nothing to do with ethnicity. Think of all the different ethnic backgrounds of people who now speak English as a native language, many of them without a drop of English blood. ;)

If we posit something like the explanation in The Dune Encyclopedia for why their Arabic is so little changed from that of our time (i.e., that once their wild Reverend Mothers achieved access to Other Memory, they reeducated the people in the old form of their language and thereafter exercised a regulative effect on it), then we cannot deny that there are Arabs in their ancestry, but it would be very wrong to think of the Fremen as being identical to our Arabs. 450 Herbert-generations (46.5 years?) have probably shuffled the deck pretty thoroughly. (Unless you make some pretty outrageous assumptions; for example, that the people who became the Zensunni were like the Jews and tried to breed only among themselves as much as possible.)
The Fremen chakobsa is NOT Arabic or even a semitic language. The Dune Encyclopedia took a huge and, regrettably, oblvious leap in determining Arabic was their language.

It's structured like and has similar roots to Romany. The arabic they use appears to be similar to how Arabic is used in Iran or Pakistan- mostly in religiously, but also peppered within the language randomly. Another parallel would be how latin or greek are used within English- mostly as industry specific jargon (legal, clergy, etc.), but also as "anglicized" roots.

And we definitely cannot deny any present ethnic groups, at least in part, would become Fremen. Absolutely on point there.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Just thinking out loud here: even if not descended from Terran Arabs, wouldn't living on Arrakis for several thousands of years wouldn't make them look kind of Arab? Maybe even African?
A Thing of Eternity

Superdog wrote:Just thinking out loud here: even if not descended from Terran Arabs, wouldn't living on Arrakis for several thousands of years wouldn't make them look kind of Arab? Maybe even African?
Depends, probably not because they go out at night and cover themselves completely, so there'd be nothing to select for darker skin.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Idwal Brugh wrote:The Fremen chakobsa is NOT Arabic or even a semitic language.
Who ever said it was?

Chakobsa is NOT Fremen. They're two separate languages. Read the books. Even the McDune idiots get THAT much right.
The Dune Encyclopedia took a huge and, regrettably, oblvious leap in determining Arabic was their language.
Yeah, they jumped right over that cliff after they saw Frank Herbert go over it. :roll:
It's structured like and has similar roots to Romany.
It also looks a lot like Serbo-Croatian. Funny that, huh?

I hear Granny Miriam over in the north suk needs some help sucking eggs; maybe you could drop by and show her how it's done?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Sandchigger, Serbo-Croatian and the Romani tounges are not both classified as Indo-Aryan from my very basic readings. At what level is their cross pollination? I'm assuming there is from your comment above.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

inhuien wrote:Sandchigger, Serbo-Croatian and the Romani tounges are not both classified as Indo-Aryan from my very basic readings. At what level is their cross pollination? I'm assuming there is from your comment above.
While there may have been some "cross pollination" (lexical exchange?) between the languages when Gypsy groups travelled through that part of Europe, the only mergers of interest here are those that occurred in the mind of Frank Herbert.

FH obviously put more thought into the Fremen language, but Chakobsa is little more than a few words & phrases that he probably copied almost verbatim from some language texts he had on hand and then supplied his own meanings for. It's not a clearly defined language in any sense.

In-universe, it's stupid to suggest that Chakobsa is descended from Serbo-Croatian or Romany. It's just a coincidence that the items in our small sample of the language look like words & phrases from those current languages. ;)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Cheers muchly. :)
Idwal Brugh

Post by Idwal Brugh »

Chakobsa is NOT Fremen. They're two separate languages. Read the books. Even the McDune idiots get THAT much right.
It's not even a single language, you dolt.

I hear Granny Miriam over in the north suk needs some help sucking eggs; maybe you could drop by and show her how it's done?
[/quote]

Lekh tizdayen, ya kus sa'ir!
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/ch03.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Herbert used these cultures as models for the Fremen but one should not look too deeply for historical parallels. For instance, he describes the use of Arabic derivations for the Fremen language primarily as a means of focusing the reader's imagination:

If you want to give the reader the solid impression that he is not here and now, but that something of here and now has been carried to that faraway place and time, what better way to say to our culture that this is so than to give him the language of that place.. . . That oral tool--it has its own inertial forces; it's mind- shaping as well as used by mind.
A Thing of Eternity

Yeehaw, we gots ourselves a linguist fight! (figured I'd try a suthrn dialect for that ;) )

Need to go make some popcorn.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Idwal Brugh wrote:It's not even a single language, you dolt.
Don't know who you are ... don't really care that much ... but I thought I'd say "hello" while I had a chance. Because you are about to get your ass handed to you on a plate.

You've brought a knife to a gun-fight. Never a good idea.

And now ...

ImageImageImage
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Idwal Brugh wrote:It's not even a single language, you dolt.
You might want to check your tone, especially considering that...

...you are entering a world of pain.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Not even the mighty :orcs-buttshake: can save you now...
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Idwal Brugh wrote:Lekh tizdayen, ya kus sa'ir!
English, please.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:
Idwal Brugh wrote:Lekh tizdayen, ya kus sa'ir!
English, please.
Hebrew perhaps? Why not take a wee sit down and relax I to the B or you could always get tae fuck ya dobber :) , you're choice. :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Idwal Brugh wrote:
It's not even a single language, you dolt.
Huh? Two separate languages are not a single language? I guess that's some profound Kabbalistic insight?
Lekh tizdayen, ya kus sa'ir!
Meh, you go fuck yourself, too. Later we can compare notes on who was better. :roll:
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/ch03.html
Herbert used these cultures as models for the Fremen but one should not look too deeply for historical parallels. For instance, he describes the use of Arabic derivations for the Fremen language primarily as a means of focusing the reader's imagination:

If you want to give the reader the solid impression that he is not here and now, but that something of here and now has been carried to that faraway place and time, what better way to say to our culture that this is so than to give him the language of that place.. . . That oral tool--it has its own inertial forces; it's mind- shaping as well as used by mind.
I'm sure you thought you had a death-dealing point there. Somewhere?