Who We Are and What We Stand For

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

Re: Who We Are and What We Stand For

Post by TheDukester »

Maybe that was TheKJA's nickname after he visited the set?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well ... if it wasn't before .... it is now ....

"Keith"'s gotten worn the hell out anyway, eh ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It would be a good sock puppet UN at DN.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

DuneFishUK wrote:Cool :)

Nice job, I think I see a reflection!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I posted this @amazon ... this seems to sum-up my issues ...

this would be a reaction to the
Haters Hate McDune because:
...a> Frank didn't write them
...b> Brian and Keith can't write in "Frank's style"
...c> Haters are fundamentalist Talifans who don't want new Dune books
...d> &etc. blah-blah

standard Corporate Dune mumbo-jumbo ...

as part of an "OH philosophy", what say you ?
any of these points not agreed with, or need tweaking ?
it's hard to "set the bar too high" concerning Brian and Keith ... examples of their previous and
"original" work make it clear that neither are any kind of serious writers ... Keith recycles every
sci-fi comix idea ever produced with the help of plot-generator scripts and creates every character
from the same three prototypes ... Brian's work would be more suitably presented in a wordpress
blagh with zero views, visits, and comments ...

so to expect McDune to be of any quality based on the skills of these two is unreasonable;
reviews, comments, and opinions of McDune criticizing the writing itself is no different than
all the negative public reaction to any of Keith's other work ...

the issue also isn't that McDune introduces ideas and concepts that are at odds with Frank's
themes ... this is always the purpose of "Expanded Universe" franchise books or "re-boots" ...
taking an established and familiar fictional world and tossing in new ideas with different authors,
producing and new but *separate* work ...

if that's what Keith and The Other Guy had done, there would have criticism of the horrible
writing, juvenile plots, silly characters, cheap and meaningless philosophy dressed up in words
beyond the working vocabulary of the creators, &etc. .... opinions that the work was a pale
and embarrassing imitation of Frank's Dune and so on ... but recognizable as name-exploiting
franchise cash-cow milking, held in contempt and dismissed as such ...

but that ain't what's happened ...

claiming that "Hunters/Sandworms of Dune" was written according to the "Final Dune7 Outline" of
Frank Herbert, that the events described in the prequels were taken from "The Notes" of Frank
Herbert uncovered 10 years after his death in a corner of Brian's garage; continuing, for over ten
years now, to stick to this story despite thousands and thousands of on-line pages of rebuttals,
with quotes from Frank's books and Frank's Own Words, completely dismissing these arguments
and not allowing them to be openly discussed on Official Corporate Dune websites is beyond
despicable, and an insult not only to Frank's fans, but to the literary world as a whole ...

not archiving these alleged "Notes" and "Dune7 Outline" in the Fullerton Archive with Frank's other
notes is an offense to academia ... the paranoid and overzealous behavior of HLP lawyers in the
excessive and wrong-headed "protection" of the Dune "Trademark" is an offense to art itself ...

so there are a number of different issues here than just the fact that
"some guys have written new Dune books and we don't like it ...."
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It's very well stated, IMO.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

so there are a number of different issues here than just the fact that
"some guys have written new Dune books and we don't like it ...."
I'm ok with just about anything supporting this quote. I doubt that a single statement will cover the passions of the entire OH community but I think it's fair to say that we wouldn't exist if it weren't for offencively stupid product, heinously misrepresented, for only the most base reasons.

I take it personally.
It's not difficult to imagine paralell scenarios. Remember the proposal to add Reagans face to Mt. Rushmore, then imagine if they had done it and said that it was ok because doing so had generated new interest in an old attraction and if you don't like it you don't have to look. Why would such a thing upset you? It's not yours, and besides, it's just a rock that was cut by the son of the original sculptor and he did his best by hiring a technical copyboy who always wanted to be a sculptor...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

D Pope wrote:It's not difficult to imagine paralell scenarios. Remember the proposal to add Reagans face to Mt. Rushmore, then imagine if they had done it and said that it was ok because doing so had generated new interest in an old attraction and if you don't like it you don't have to look. Why would such a thing upset you? It's not yours, and besides, it's just a rock that was cut by the son of the original sculptor and he did his best by hiring a technical copyboy who always wanted to be a sculptor...
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
valys

Post by valys »

Now that's the best comparison to describe bh&kja's situation i've seen 'till now. Thumbs up, DPope!
Like I said before, I never repeat myself.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Cheers for 'Rider's summarization as well. :clap: :clap: :clap:
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

SandChigger wrote:
D Pope wrote:It's not difficult to imagine paralell scenarios. Remember the proposal to add Reagans face to Mt. Rushmore, then imagine if they had done it and said that it was ok because doing so had generated new interest in an old attraction and if you don't like it you don't have to look. Why would such a thing upset you? It's not yours, and besides, it's just a rock that was cut by the son of the original sculptor and he did his best by hiring a technical copyboy who always wanted to be a sculptor...
:clap: :clap: :clap:
very nice! :clap:
so to expect McDune to be of any quality based on the skills of these two is unreasonable;
This is the only part I'd disagree with... "I personally think that it IS reasonable to expect someone to step up their game when writing in the Dune universe, and am incensed that they did not do so. Just because they have a history of writing less-than-stellar books does not, in my opinion, preclude them from being able to learn and grow as writers - they simply have chosen, for their own inscrutable reasons, not to do so. If money/fame/greed were motivating factors, as seems likely, then they would have made more of it if the writing was improved and errors were avoided, imho." (this is me quoting myself from my amazon response to sandrider's response)

I'm of the opinion (not shared by many at all) that Brian could have kept writing and improving, since I thought his early solo and colab stuff showed some promise. KJA doesn't get any sympathy from me, however, for the crap he does.

And to be clear - Brian, at this time, is contemptible for allowing the desecration of his father's work, and for having a hand in (and his name linked to) this whole crapfest.
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I, personally, have not seen any evidence that Brian Herbert is capable of writing anything that isn't painful to read. I have not read the Complete Works of Brian, though. It's mostly adjectives.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I've got an interest in his nonfic book about the Merchant Marines getting the shaft after the war. I'd probably have bought it by now if someone else had written it.
Does that seem harsh? All jokes aside, how bad could he do?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

grandmastercrafter wrote:
SandRider wrote:so to expect McDune to be of any quality based on the skills of these two is unreasonable;
This is the only part I'd disagree with... "I personally think that it IS reasonable to expect someone to step up their game when writing in the Dune universe, and am incensed that they did not do so.
I think the Rider means that their game is as stepped up as it gets, no amount of effort on KJHs part will result in the quality that Dune deserves. You can't expect them to do better than their best any more than expecting me to paint a great work of art. ( i'm colorblind )
There's a thread here brilliantly describing multiple methods of franchising Dune for posterity as well as profit. I just can't find it.
edit; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2274&p=83982&hilit ... ise#p83982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Little Galach wrote:The writing of the prequels and sequels offends me because if KJA had any creative DNA and if BH had any balls they could have written sequels that depicted the rogue group's travels and subsequent colonization of a new planet(s?) in some distant galaxy. They were basically handed a blank canvas on which to "paint" dozens of books and detach them from FH's in terms of storyline and need for much consistency, and they decided to try and piss on the first 6 instead, and saturate them as thoroughly as possible at that. Hell, HLP could have allowed one damn book to be written by a real writer to wrap up the Old Empire and lay the groundwork for the Rogues and then opened the flood gates to franchise "Sheeana's Scattering" novels that would have probably given them a more consistent and morally acceptable revenue stream.

Honestly, I look at it as an large scale equivalent to Star Trek: Voyager, where a successful brand with household-knowledge technology was given a fresh start and the ability to write outside of the constraints of the universe the previous writers had created. A writer with creative ability, imagination and TALENT could have written something really good by combining a legacy with their own vision. Both products ended up sucking, it's a shame Dune's sucked because of ego and greed.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

merkin muffley wrote:I, personally, have not seen any evidence that Brian Herbert is capable of writing anything that isn't painful to read.
I haven't seen it either, yo.

He's living proof that writing ability isn't necessarily genetic. Which is why the preeks' favorite argument — "But he's Frank's son!" — is so amazingly asinine.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
grandmastercrafter

D Pope wrote:
grandmastercrafter wrote:
SandRider wrote:so to expect McDune to be of any quality based on the skills of these two is unreasonable;
This is the only part I'd disagree with... "I personally think that it IS reasonable to expect someone to step up their game when writing in the Dune universe, and am incensed that they did not do so.
I think the Rider means that their game is as stepped up as it gets, no amount of effort on KJHs part will result in the quality that Dune deserves.
Yes, that's what I read out of his comment too... but I guess I'm kind of an optimist on this topic - I believe that individuals who have developed even minor skills in some profession can improve, if they are motivated (either internally or externally)... They make money doing it the KJA way, so there is no need to 'improve' anything, from their point of view. KJA and Brian have chosen not to improve - but I don't believe that they are unable to write better than they have already.

imho - They made their story choices by catering to the elements of Dune that, in their opinion, seemed most appealing to fans (and seemed more likely to attract new clientele - the younger generation with more capital to spread around, hence the action and gratuitous sex and violence, and keep the deep thoughts on the down low). And they added stuff that would attract more individuals from other genres, like fantasy and shit. And in doing these things, they made a ton of mistakes. However, what we see as desecration, they see as $$. I think they miscalculated, and they're starting to see that now, with all the flak about the quality going around, but I think that's why the quality is so low in the first place. They didn't focus on quality, but rather on the 'hooks', to catch more sales from susceptible fans, using the Dune name prominently on each cover to deceive buyers that 'quality exists in these pages' - a blatant lie to get mo money...

But I'm of the opinion that given some strict instruction, for anywhere from 2-6 years, in writing from Dan Simmons, Vernor Vinge, Orson Scott Card, etc etc (even David Weber would do!) they would be able to improve their writing skills, even if only 25% or less (any improvement will do, at this point), just like any other human being... they just choose not to improve. I mean - it's been a decade! The contemptible fact that they haven't improved is a choice - and that makes me madder than if it was some factor outside their control, like that they're just genuinely mentally challenged.

Although I don't discount that possibility entirely - it just seems unlikely that they can't get better, you know? (Then they'd deserve our pity, and CATscans, meds and treatments or whatever, but you can't hate someone who was born dumb, can you?)
THINK CRITICALLY
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

grandmastercrafter wrote:- it just seems unlikely that they can't get better, you know?
Paul of Dune
-Omphalos
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Jessica to the Winds of Dune
ImageImage

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

McDune is unnecessary drivel. Like gluing a couple of twigs for arms onto the Venus de Milo and thinking it's better now, as people wanted to see what the arms would have looked like.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
lotek

Post by lotek »

anyone with a blatant lack of imagination
(and that's quite a few people)

the KBH caters to those...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

grandmastercrafter wrote:... it just seems unlikely that they can't get better, you know?
If there is a place called "Agreement," then I am as far away from that place as is possible, while still remaining in the same space/time continuum.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say they've proven they can't.

McDune an assembly line of words that surround characters, places, and events created by Frank Herbert; nobody involved gives two shits beyond that point. It's all about cash, ego, and recognition (and, in Bobo's case, a really scary hatred of his father). Down the road a bit, it will also be about everyone cashing in with a fat paycheck from the movie.

"Getting better" is an absurd notion to these pustules; they'd likely give you a blank look if you brought it up. They simply don't care.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

TheDukester wrote: "Getting better" is an absurd notion to these pustules; they'd likely give you a blank look if you brought it up. They simply don't care.
Many of the worst things those guys are doing to Dune - doing a bad imitation of Star Wars and Star Trek, doing Tween fiction - are things they are doing on purpose. They wouldn't be interested in creating something better.

And I also don't think they're capable of doing much better, talent-wise.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Lack of interest and lack of talent are good reasons for their lack of improvement.
I think their lack of understanding is a provable fact of the poor job they've done in adding to Dune.

Talk about sucking the abundance of the sand...
-Omphalos
grandmastercrafter

TheDukester wrote:
grandmastercrafter wrote:... it just seems unlikely that they can't get better, you know?
If there is a place called "Agreement," then I am as far away from that place as is possible, while still remaining in the same space/time continuum.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say they've proven they can't.

McDune an assembly line of words that surround characters, places, and events created by Frank Herbert; nobody involved gives two shits beyond that point. It's all about cash, ego, and recognition (and, in Bobo's case, a really scary hatred of his father). Down the road a bit, it will also be about everyone cashing in with a fat paycheck from the movie.

"Getting better" is an absurd notion to these pustules; they'd likely give you a blank look if you brought it up. They simply don't care.
You're preaching to the choir... it would be more accurate to say that they've proven to date that they haven't gotten better - but that's not my point. I'm trying to say that they earn my contempt for the last thing you said: ""Getting better" is an absurd notion to these pustules; they'd likely give you a blank look if you brought it up. They simply don't care." ...not caring is the crime.

As human beings of average intellectual capacities, they are capable of learning (and thereby getting better, if they cared to). That's a physiological characteristic of being an creature with a developed nervous system that allows for rational thought, and rational actions, along with the instinctual animalistic tendencies...

They are contemptible for choosing not to... I don't believe that they're actually retarded, or challenged mentally. It's not physical. It's a choice. That's what I think is so bad. That choice of theirs.

And if it is a choice, then the bottom line is that (as an optimist) I can envision a future where either one or the other recognizes the error of their ways and backpedals/retracts/apologizes/attempts restitution... it's just a vague, probably overly optimistic, hope, but they are the ones with the control over these 'official' stories - and all joking aside, they have more than a pair of neurons between them (not to mention the rest of the family and other entities with an interest in this franchise)... we can all learn from our mistakes, or be made to learn (external pressures - many - and internal conflicts - seemingly none...), and until they do I'll continue to hold them in the lowest esteem.

But a man can hope. I'll probably do my little bit to try to change the state of affairs with the Dune franchise til I die, but if there's even a slim chance that they can be made to repent their ways, and maybe even beg forgiveness for their behavior, at some indeterminate date in the future, I'm on it. imho

Pile on :lol:
THINK CRITICALLY
grandmastercrafter

I might want to twitter KJA to tell him that I don't think he's retarded, so if he were to change his ways and try to fix things by reclassifying McDune as fan-fiction, it would be greatly appreciated, and he could be proud that he's become a better man... I may start a poll to see what you all think my chances of success are :laughing-rofl: (yes, I know I amuse myself)
THINK CRITICALLY