New Users, Please Read!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

New Users, Please Read!

Post by Freakzilla »

Guidelines to Wandering the Sietch

1. Please search for existing topics before starting a new one. Don't be afraid to post in an old topic.

More to come...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: New Users, Please Read!

Post by SandRider »

The Wild-eyed Old Desert Ass with a crysknife to your Throat says:

If your post is more than a few lines, always click "Preview" before "Submit".

Read what you are preparing to post. Correct spelling errors.
>> If your browser does not have an integrated spelchek, install one that does.
If you are unclear on a spelling from The Books, download the .pdf's, and take
the time to load those problem-words into your new browser's dictionary. <<

Unless you are ESL*, I (and some others) will quietly (and no-so-quietly) make mental notes of
repeated and consistent spelling and grammatical errors; your creditability factor* will begin to drop
accordingly.

CLARIFICATION: I am not an innerwebz-forum grammar-nazi, or some type of anal shitheel -
the point is that we of the Orthodox Herbertarian Jihad are supposed to be the intelligent, educated,
and literate side in these battles ... let's act like it.

<sidebar>
in example, I was unsure of proper usage of supposed above; instead of saying "well, fuck it, they know what I mean",
I searched "suppose"&"supposed" in another tab while continuing to work in the "post reply" box ...

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/suppose.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
Because the D and the T are blended into a single consonant when this phrase is pronounced,
many writers are unaware that the D is even present and omit it in writing. You’re supposed to get
this one right if you want to earn the respect of your readers.
See also “use to.”

suppose to
supposed to
</sidebar>

If you are unfamiliar with the BBCode used in the "Post Reply" box, or the "quote" button, ask.
If you need help in posting an image or linking to an image or video, ask.
If you are an expert at HTML/BBCode and php, and know some neat tricks, help.

Strive to construct and create an interesting, visually appealing post, that will be entertaining to read
as well as being informative or expressive. I personally do not care how extensive and insightful your Dune
knowledge is or is not; you should join the discussion at whatever level you are at. I will tolerate and respond positively
to anyone who makes a serious attempt to put up a quality post*, regardless of the accuracy of Dune facts or theme.

(Mis-understandings and mis-readings, and the subsequent attempts at correction & clarification,
are the source of most of the best discussions here. I will tolerate less well wingnut* theories
that attempt to tie themes in Frank's Dune to whatever pet crackpot idea the poster holds dear,
especially when the poster continues to espouse the idea after clear, concise, and concerted rebuttal ...
said poster then slides ever closer to shitheel*)

Above all else, then: remember when you are creating your post, that your over-riding goal is not to impress
anyone here with how clever or smart you are, how well you think you know Dune or any other topic :
your ultimate goal is to Entertain Me.

Failure to do so will result in my crysknife in your eye.

( Wipe your godsdamned boots off before you enter the sietch. )
( What are you, a Harkonnen Animal ? )
Last edited by SandRider on 14 May 2011 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

* quality post

* creditability factor

* ESL

* wingnut

* shitheel

I'll edit and define that shit later;
right now, I got a deacon waiting
in the cotton field; he says he wants
to "bless the bolls", but that bastard
just wants to meddle ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol: Well said.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider wrote:your ultimate goal is to Entertain Me
And you never fail to deliver, ya maddie. 10/10 :lol: :lol: :lol:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandRider wrote:

I will tolerate less well wingnut* theories that attempt to tie themes in Frank's Dune
to whatever pet crackpot idea the poster holds dear, especially when the poster continues to espouse
the idea after clear, concise, and concerted rebuttal ...

Here, here. :clap:

And don't persist with "your" when it's "you're" because that has proven to be a bad sign.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:Guidelines to Wandering the Sietch

1. Please search for existing topics before starting a new one. Don't be afraid to post in an old topic.
I, the Sandrider wrote:
2. Entertain me;
2a. Post ONLY creative, amusing, interesting, and enlightening comments;
save all your tedious boring bullshit for Merritt's Board, your web-blahg or
twitterings, letters to the editor of your local newspaper, &etc;
2b. PREVIEW before SUBMIT.

3. Post your Introductory Comment in the "Introduce Yourself" forum:
viewforum.php?f=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This allows all members to "welcome" you, comment on your initial posts,
(ie, what brought you here & how, what your personal "Dune" story is)
and becomes "Your Thread" ....
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SandRider wrote:

* quality post
* creditability factor
* ESL
* wingnut
* shitheel
I'll edit and define that shit later; right now, I got a deacon waiting in the cotton field;
he says he wants to "bless the bolls", but that bastard just wants to meddle ...
maybe there is something to all that; last year's fall cotton was semi-profitable;
then the drought set-in and spring cotton will not survive to produce without
major irrigation, which none of my fields are set up for; altho, draining the aquifer
to produce dry-land cotton in a semi-arid, rocky environment doesn't seem like
something God would get behind, no matter what promises the deacon made ...

quality post :

1> Entertaining to read and well-written & constructed.

1(a)> "entertaining": amusing in a positive way; a "good chuckle", uplifting & mood enhancing

1(a) caveat> : mean, snarky, mocking, and "offensive" comments are perfectly acceptable when directed @:
>> tehKJA
>> the Living Herbert Parasites
>> the McDune
>> Anderclones
elsewise, "keep it cool, keep it civil" (and fuck yourself, Merritt)
mean-spirited comments directed at other targets (politicians, religions, religious "figures", NASCAR drivers, &etc)
will only result in needless and distracting flaming amongst members -- remember, this sietch is populated by a
wide and diverse selection of Humanity, from many countries and cultures; everyone is not going to agree with
your personal opinions on non-Dune topics; the POLITICS!! forum was specifically created for discussion and arguments
related to that topic ... use it; related: religion - altho most of us subscribe to Frank's View of Religion, keep in mind
there are those here who take that bullshit seriously; related: patriotism & nationalism - keep in mind the inter-
national makeup of the sietch (and Frank's View of Nationalism) and keep your flag-waving to a minimum; likewise,
mind your manners when speaking ill of a foreign country, with the exception of Belgium, which we all Hate equally,
and agree should be Killed With Fire.

1(b)> "entertaining": on-topic and an addition to the discussion at hand; especially entertaining are new and fresh
viewpoints or ideas related to Frank's Dune; even if eventually proven false or mis-directed, any new "theories" on any
of the Dune topics are always welcome and "fun to read", and stimulate new thinking and discussion;
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:character-oldtimer: Hakdha yaqul Sheik as-Sahra! :lol:

(Thus speaks the Old Man of the Desert!)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-yeahthat:
~Pink Snowman
NotOnasander

Post by NotOnasander »

Just give it up and admit it like in Battlestar Gallatica, you lost the war.... time to pack up and move on. Turning increasingly Nazi in terms of expression isn't going to help you one bit.
Somtyme it is withdrawen for theire rechelesnes; and when it is thus, thei fele sone
after a ful bitter pyne that betith hem ful sore. Somtyme oure Lorde wil delaye it bi a
cauteel, for He wol bi soche a delaiing make it growe and be had more in deintee
when it is newe founden and felt agein, that longe had be lost. And this is one of the
rediest and sovereynist tokin that a soule may have to wite bi, whether he be clepid
or not to worche in this werk: yif he fele after soche a delaying and a longe lackyng
of this werk, that when it cometh sodenly as it doth, unpurchasid with any mene, that
he hath than a gretter fervour of desire and gretter love-longing to worche in this
werk, than ever he had any before, insomochel that oftymes I trowe he hath more
joie of the fynding therof, then ever he had sorow of the lesing. And yif it be thus,
sekirly it is a tokin verrey withoutyn errour that he is clepid of God to worche in this
werk, whatsoever that he be or hath ben.
Every word above is spelled correctly, the grammar is perfect, and it's in English. The Language changes over time. it's rooted in the change of the individual, and the spectrum of the confluence of social and technic influence of the thinker in relation to the others.

This is something Frank Herbert grasped, and Leto comments on Language continuously. Your holding to a universal format that ideas are to be expressed in, it would be better to reverse that and just express yourself without the redundancy and strictures of elegance and external form demanded by those seeking to dilute and control you. The incapacity to diverge from the common herd is a sign of willful conformity and non-individuality- a acceptance of external control and losing one's own fate.

It's better to express yourself with friction and sloth in regards to etiquette and expectations of the culture of the erudite literati rather than to accept their values and forms and find yourself continuously babbling, essentially never saying anything. It's never enough to emotively speak, which can be expressed under most forms of linguistics- formed or feral- but to do so forcefully with sincerity and integrity to oneself. A cry of anger or a meandering into the difficult should bear the marks of the very struggle of doing so..... your doing something great and unusual.... perhaps the words to express your predicament shouldn't roll off as purely as others demand it. The unpredictable is the aim of communication, it's a contradiction to assume the unpredictable can always be expressed in the common tongue. It's their values the aspiring must reject, it's their tongue we must squash, it's their conformity and acceptance we rebel against.

This thread is proof there is nothing orthodox in the least about this forum. It's antithetical to Dune. Time and time and time again we see evidence that the member's here just simply didn't grasp the most important aspects of the novels. They couldn't even grasp something as simple as this.

Rebel, break with the norms and demands of others, and fuck their expectations. Become your own rapture, explore you capacity to object and refute and do so in any means you wish. Don't accept their admonishment, your right for the sake of your willingness to be otherwise.

This forum is worst than BH and KJA in so many ways..... I've noticed as of late there's been more honesty and exploration from their camp than here. The Philosophy of Dune book is a good example...... it's extremely rare to see this site even come CLOSE to examining Frank's philosophy. In one single book, this entire forum was put to deep shame..... it's beyond every doubt now that this forum has NOTHING to do with Orthodoxy. It's a pure heresy, deserving the backwardness and belittlement of it's adoptive name. If the LLC can be bold enough to allow others to think freely and explore, why should this forum seek to push out thinkers and nit pick them for the smallest of reasons? It's all a means of propaganda and control for you. Is there any room in the Dune Community for such backward perversity?
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

NotOnasander wrote: This forum is worst than BH and KJA in so many ways..... I've noticed as of late there's been more honesty and exploration from their camp than here.
What "their camp"? All I know of are their lawyers and a bunch of bitches at Amazon.

And please use proper English grammar if you're going to write lengthy texts that make me fall asleep. I see that you instead have focused on using "fancy" words, which only make you sound like an arrogant prick (which we all already know that you are).
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

NotOnasander wrote:Every word above is spelled correctly, the grammar is perfect, and it's in English. The Language changes over time. it's rooted in the change of the individual, and the spectrum of the confluence of social and technic influence of the thinker in relation to the others.
Interesting. Take note...
NotOnasander wrote:This is something Frank Herbert grasped, and Leto comments on Language continuously. Your holding to a universal format that ideas are to be expressed in, it would be better to reverse that and just express yourself without the redundancy and strictures of elegance and external form demanded by those seeking to dilute and control you. [comma splice] The incapacity to diverge from the common herd is a sign of willful conformity and non-individuality- a acceptance of external control and losing one's own fate.
That's just your first paragraph asshole. I didn't read the rest but actually caught a few more errors while scrolling past the rest. Is English your first language?

Nice try.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

silly bitch cain't even spell Galactica ....

I actually read every word of the tl;dr, some of 'em more than once;
if I could bring myself to give a fuck, I'd guess I'd parse out & quote
all the strings of mis-used & mis-understood words packed in there
that expressed absolutely no ideas whatsoever, and what,
by definition, could only be described as babbling ....
ImageImage

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

NotOnasander wrote:The Language changes over time.
The language also knows it's not a proper noun. It's hard to take you seriously when you can't follow fourth-grade-level rules of capitalization.

Oh, wait ... my bad. Never mind all that. It's hard to take you seriously because you are a dripping, infected asshole with huge mommy and daddy issues.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.