The Worst Additions You Can Think Of For DUNE

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: The Worst Additions You Can Think Of For DUNE

Post by SandRider »

laugh all you can, while you can ....

since McDune is going to be stuck in the Before Times for the duration,
I'll tell you the Big Secret right now - "flying", space-folding Sandworms ?

of course.
how do you think they got to Arrakis in the first place ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:laugh all you can, while you can ....

since McDune is going to be stuck in the Before Times for the duration,
I'll tell you the Big Secret right now - "flying", space-folding Sandworms ?

of course.
how do you think they got to Arrakis in the first place ?
Stargate jumping sand trout, man. Worms are big, so they're obviously stupid. It takes the crafty sandtrout to 'gate from one place to another.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The worms are living Time Tunnels... :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Oh, fuck. Sandwormholes.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

I would have to say that Young Paul's wandering misadventures in a circus troupe/assassination squad is pretty hard to top. I sorta ignored the water worms because they contributed nothing to the plot.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I have faith in Kevin, that when it comes to Dune, he hasn't been his absolute stupidest yet. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Worst addition would be telekinesis. You KNOW Kevin is just ITCHING to give the BG real tele-powers and make them into the Jedi he sees them as in his mind.
Fuck.
...wait, they already did that in the Legends series. Fuckers.
FUCK!

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

"Oh but there are even bigger monsters on Arrakis, my young padah-w'n" Yueh said. "Coriolis-worms. They ride the biggest storms on Arrakis and attack every unsuspecting thopter that enters their airspace, like a lion guarding her prey. They sand-blast the flesh off their victims' bones, leaving the raw meat exposed, ready for the Feys-Huhg sandtrout eggs. The mouth of the Coriolis-worm is bristling with those nasty little critters. Those poor souls' fate is worse than torture."

"Killer worms! Way kuhl" Paul screamed. He jumped up and down like a thumper in the desert.

"Ah, you will make a fine Duke", Yueh said with proud in his voice, the diamond tattoo on his forehead moving with every word, like an Elecran on the waves of Caladan Seas.
lotek

Post by lotek »

No!!
not the bristling!!!!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

SandChigger wrote:I have faith in Kevin, that when it comes to Dune, he hasn't been his absolute stupidest yet. :lol:
Too true Chig, this is eight years old, sooo...
It's been bugging me for a while now, allow me to make a post by proxy for a guy whose afraid to do it for himself.
KJA, in the 2002 Landsraad interview wrote: In a forward to House Atreides, Brian Herbert mentions that he will use Frank Herbert’s notes to someday write a Dune 7 novel, thereby completing the storyline of Chapterhouse: Dune. Will you be involved in that project and can you share any details?

I'll definitely be writing it with him -- that was the project that originally made me contact Brian. We have the outline for the Grand Finale and how it wraps up all the storylines, so we are laying the basis for much of it in our prequels. However, the Grand Finale should really be the last one...why go back and fill in a few more holes after we write THE END?
We still have the Legends of Dune trilogy to finish -- THE BUTLERIAN JIHAD, THE MACHINE CRUSADE, and THE BATTLE OF CORRIN -- and we also want to write the early years of Paul Atreides. THE MACHINE CRUSADE is written and is now in its third draft, so we're right on schedule.
How's that for chiming in on a worst addition? :)
...why go back and fill in a few more holes after we write THE END?
edit; I ax ya,"GREED?"
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

KJA, in the 2002 Landsraad interview wrote: I'll definitely be writing it with him -- that was the project that originally made me contact Brian. We have the outline for the Grand Finale and how it wraps up all the storylines, so we are laying the basis for much of it in our prequels. However, the Grand Finale should really be the last one...why go back and fill in a few more holes after we write THE END?
We still have the Legends of Dune trilogy to finish -- THE BUTLERIAN JIHAD, THE MACHINE CRUSADE, and THE BATTLE OF CORRIN -- and we also want to write the early years of Paul Atreides. THE MACHINE CRUSADE is written and is now in its third draft, so we're right on schedule.
Hmm, one could say it almost fits with the "Brian the Mastermind" conspiracy theory. Or, at least, it might suggest that it was not KJA's decision to write the new "series/unseries" books (or is it an obvious thing?)
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I just loved how well a KJA quote could fit into the Worst Additions.

BH a mastermind? Eh. :confusion-shrug:
To me it fits well with my image of Kevin being too conceited to think much about what he says. Fat & happy in '02, knowing the HPL ride wont last forever, Kevin sees no need to worry about what the future may be.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I think that the best way to hype the grand finale (and a good way to hype any project) is to say, "This is the last one ever!"
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think they were planning to do the "Paul trilogy" (as it was then) first, so the Dune 7 novels were supposed to be the last ones. But they later "decided" to do Dune 7 right after the BJ series, because that's what the fans wanted. Of course, that meant they were perfectly justified in going back and filling in the gaps after the grand finale, since those darn fans messed everything up by changing the order.

Those fans. Whatcha gonna do?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks