Book hauls

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

Book hauls

Post by Robspierre »

Today I took two boxes of books to the used book store. I picked up all five books in Stephen Donaldson's Gap series and R. Scott Bakker's first novel, all for $3.49 with tax :D

Rob
D Pope

Re: Book hauls

Post by D Pope »

Nice find mate! Well done!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I recently bought over 200 old magazines, assorted books, and 30-year-old advertisements (all stuff that can be sold for quite a bit individually) for only $20. Always a great feeling to get a good haul for cheap. :D
Last edited by Redstar on 10 Aug 2010 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Robspierre wrote:Today I took two boxes of books to the used book store. I picked up all five books in Stephen Donaldson's Gap series and R. Scott Bakker's first novel, all for $3.49 with tax :D

Rob
didn't you find an outline for the new coolest adventures of Thomas Covenant the magical cyborg too in on eof those boxes ? (yeah I know he's not dead ;))
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

S03B03 out in a coupla months!

:dance:

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Picked up at my used bookstore yesterday:

The Jesus Incident
The Lazarus Effect
The Ascension Factor

All by Herbert and Ransom

Space Viking H. Beam Piper

Terraforming Earth Jack Williamson

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Read the Herbert/Ransom before, Rob?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Read the Herbert/Ransom before, Rob?

HBJ
No I haven't. I'm putting them in my bag for when I sub to read when I get breaks.

Rob
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

lotek wrote:
Robspierre wrote:Today I took two boxes of books to the used book store. I picked up all five books in Stephen Donaldson's Gap series and R. Scott Bakker's first novel, all for $3.49 with tax :D

Rob
didn't you find an outline for the new coolest adventures of Thomas Covenant the magical cyborg too in on eof those boxes ? (yeah I know he's not dead ;))
Thanks, you have mentally scarred me for life.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Robspierre wrote:

Rob
This one's neat. He actually is the person who coined the term terraforming (much earlier than this book though).
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Robspierre wrote:

Rob
This one's neat. He actually is the person who coined the term terraforming (much earlier than this book though).

I bet his college classes, he was a professor at Eastern New Mexico University, would of been very interesting.

Rob
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

My husband was thinking about getting me a set of hardback Dune books for $50 from SFBC.

Five books/six stories. Do y'all think that's a good deal or are there better ones out there?

$10 a book doesn't seem that bad for new hardbacks but I know I could be wrong....
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I don't think you could get them any cheaper.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Eyes High wrote:My husband was thinking about getting me a set of hardback Dune books for $50 from SFBC.

Five books/six stories. Do y'all think that's a good deal or are there better ones out there?

$10 a book doesn't seem that bad for new hardbacks but I know I could be wrong....
SFBC books are inexpensively made, and the paper yellows quickly. Also, I don't like the art on the current editions from them. But, the price is right for new books. I often see Dune hardbounds in used bookstores in good shape for $5 - $12 each. The new hardbacks are between $16 and $26 each.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Thanks, Well I guess I know what I'll be getting for Christmas then from him. :lol: (if he reads this or doesn't forget)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Latest book haul.

CJ Cherryh
Heavy Time
Hellburner

JohnCarter
Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons

Robert A. Heinlein
Tramp Royale

Danica McKellar
Math Doesn't Suck
Kiss my Math
Hot X: Algebra Exposed

Brave New Worlds Anthology

Robert E. Howard
The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard

Some guy named Frank Herbert
The Book of Frank Herbert

The only one I paid full price for was the REH book which is part of the Sub Press offerings.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive never heard of that Heinlein

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Ive never heard of that Heinlein
Unpublished during his lifetime. It was written after he and Ginny traveled around the world in '53.

Rob
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nice trawl Rob. :)
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I did not know until now, that "Winnie Cooper" wrote books on Math.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Not just written, she has a degree in mathematics, taught some at the college level, and is coauthor of a mathematics physics theorem.

Rob
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Robspierre wrote:Not just written, she has a degree in mathematics, taught some at the college level, and is coauthor of a mathematics physics theorem.

Rob
That's hot.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:
Robspierre wrote:Not just written, she has a degree in mathematics, taught some at the college level, and is coauthor of a mathematics physics theorem.

Rob
That's hot.
I'd do her. :drool:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

merkin muffley wrote:

Rob
That's hot.
Very. :drool:

Edit to add: Seems that the theorem concerns the spontaneous magnetization of a material once it is raised above its Curie temperature then brought down again in the presence of a magnetic field. Statistical mechanics stuff, i.e. well beyond me.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I'm pretty excited about this find, almost positive it's a first edition- first state Ozma of Oz!
Gotta piece together bits of description from abebooks and biblio but it really looks like it's
all there;

The Reilly & Britton Co., 1907, Original Cloth. First State, with all points of issue called for:
"The Reilly & Britton Co." on spine
"O" in Ozma present on 5th line, p. 11
p. 221 in color
publisher's advertisement facing half-title offers two titles: "Land of Oz," & "John Dough and The Cherub"
colored plates throughout with pictorial endpapers
270 pages

The cover is faded, spine cracked, bumped corners, but the pages are perfect and still tightly
bound with no names or doodles. Found it in a small antique shop on a trip to Lake of the Ozarks.
:dance:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos