Greetings water stealers

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Ayat

Greetings water stealers

Post by Ayat »

I grew up with two copies of Dune in my house so it's no surprise I eventually read it. It may just be the second adult fiction book I read after Lord of the Rings. Its the main reason I like science fiction even though no other book is anything like it. It is also the only book I have gotten hooked into reading because I knew what was coming and wanted to read about it (again - this happens when I re-read Dune). I read the rest of the series of course when I first read Dune. Then read the prequels by those two and the butlerian jihad books and I though not canon it's ok, not really part of the dune universe, I let the errors go. Then when they came out, I read hunters and sandworms of dune. Needless to say I decided after that that I would never read anything those two had written ever again, I now choose to ignore every dune book they have ever written. I'm sure I don't need to list the reasons why here. I here about the new "dune" books they are writing and am glad they will never taint how I see dune, I do fear though for the new generation of readers though unwittingly contaminating themeselves. I honestly think those two did not know what they were doing when they tried to write dune7 but what they are writing now, trying to justify what they wrote is just oure arrogance. I'm getting this all out here because I came to this forum to discuss Dune, in paricular what dune7 would have been (why is there no topic about this?), the plotlines that run through the whole series (the golden path, he Kwisatz Hederach etc.) and probably if it gets to it what the books actually say about politics or if you will the art of ruling/manipulating people. i.e. I came here to discuss Dune not what someone else has tacked on and called dune. Though I do wonder why the editor of Sandworms of Dune didn't say (amoung other things) 'You see here where you have and anticlimax most people would have a climax, that could be a problem.'
Anyway, it at least got me thinking about what the ending to the series would have been had Frank Herbert lived, discussed with my brother (also a Dune fan), came up with some theories (actually one big meta theory by now), re-read the whole series to see if it fitted/search for clues. So I had a theory and I wondered what others thought, so I said to myself the internet, somewhere on the internet there is bound to be a discussion in some forum about what Frank Herbert's dune 7 would have been. I didn't find any (well in reality google didn't find any for me). But I found this place (and dune novels too but you don't start a topic there 'dune7 - what would it have been' for the purposes of discussion, though it could be interesting). So here I am. Sorry I kind of rambled but it's the internet, what are you going to do.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Greetings water stealers

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!

Feel free to start a topic about Dune 7 ... I am sure you will get a discussion going in no time.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

Welcome twice welcome fellow rambler!

And I think one of the reason there wasn't a discussion about Dune7 is that I for one think there weren't much of those notes to start with, and that I am not so sure Frank intented to write more...
Even Dune Messiah was a publisher's wish IIRC...

But speculating is fun so fire away!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Glad you found us.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! :)

I was thinking we had a "what if" thread for "Dune 7" around here somewhere.... :?

Edit:

I knew there was one here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=532&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usual off-topic stuff we usually get up to, but there are some interesting posts nonetheless. :)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Welcome
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Hello.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome. SandRider will be by later to claim your water for the tribe. So for now enjoy the knowledge contained within these wall.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellllooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

:greetings-wavegreen: Greetings and salutations!
Ayat wrote:But I found this place (and dune novels too but you don't start a topic there 'dune7 - what would it have been' for the purposes of discussion, though it could be interesting).
:lol: sure would be - I was checking out some of the topics at DN recently and it seems like tons of comments are deleted in the middle of conversations, disrupting the continuity and all that - I imagine a post on your topic over there would quickly become incoherent, as the ideas clashed with KJA/BH and comments were deleted indiscriminately by good ol' boardadmin... not a great loss though - the quality of the discussions there seem to devolve into drivel. You're in a better place now. :handgestures-thumbup: I just joined here recently, after browsing around for quite a while, and appreciate just how awesome this group is. Warm welcome!
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

And so the tribe grows, welcome!

Rob
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome! :)

Have a look at Sandrider's Norman Spinrad interview (General Dune/Sticky), he says, "[FH] planned to end the series with a novel that would transition to a fictional universe of democratic rule." - which fits with "superheroes are disastrous for mankind" ... not so much Keith and Bobo's ULTRA bullshite.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ayat wrote:I'm getting this all out here because I came to this forum to discuss Dune, in paricular what dune7 would have been (why is there no topic about this?), the plotlines that run through the whole series (the golden path, he Kwisatz Hederach etc.) and probably if it gets to it what the books actually say about politics or if you will the art of ruling/manipulating people. i.e. I came here to discuss Dune not what someone else has tacked on and called dune.
Welcome!

Believe me, I wish there wasn't reason to discuss Pinky and The Brian's abominations. Our primary purpose here is to discuss FH's Dune. Bitching about KJA and BH is just for fun/stress relief. If we didn't blow of some steam about it now and then our heads would explode.

Have fun.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman