Thanks All

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Flair1239

Thanks All

Post by Flair1239 »

I was in the library the other day and noticed a slew of new Dune books. I thought that that was odd, as I knew Frank Herbert was dead. Anyway my first impression was that the family finally was selling trademark rights to various authors.

I had just got done rereading the series last year... I am kind of a purist when it comes to this type of thing... so I decided to peruse the internet to see what the community (I just assumed that there would be a community of some sort.) thought about the additional books.

After a couple days of browsing, I realized that it would be a waste of time to read the new books. Reading some of the on-line synopses, it seems that some of the plots are very confused.

Thank you all for saving me a couple months of reading and frustration.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Thanks All

Post by Nekhrun »

This post made my last 11 years or so worth while. :tissue2:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Flair1239

Post by Flair1239 »

The last two books of the series kind of seem to have a "Terminator VS. Dune". type theme.

What I would be more interested in would be the actual outline for what would have been the 7th book.

I read a book one time that featured some of Tolkin's notes and it was fascinating. I would pay a book that featured the outline and commentary... but the direction they seem to have gone (the new authors) seems pretty contrived and does not appeal to me.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Flair1239 wrote: After a couple days of browsing, I realized that it would be a waste of time to read the new books... Thank you all for saving me a couple months of reading and frustration.
You have saved yourself from a lot of misery, they're awful. The new books are a cruel joke on people who like (FH's) Dune.

Welcome!ImageImage
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Flair1239 wrote:What I would be more interested in would be the actual outline for what would have been the 7th book.

I read a book one time that featured some of Tolkin's notes and it was fascinating. I would pay a book that featured the outline and commentary... but the direction they seem to have gone (the new authors) seems pretty contrived and does not appeal to me.

Hmmm, and yet we're told by the HLP that there just isn't any interest out there for that kind of release. The prefer the type... oh forget it :whistle:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Welcome! :D

When you're in the mood for horror stories, just let us know. We got a million or so words of 'em! :twisted:
Last edited by SandChigger on 30 Jun 2010 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome Flair. These guys and dolls know their Dune. You have found a fount of knowledge my friend.

:cylon101:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome, I wish I'd never read the new books myself - trust me, you didn't just save wasted time, you saved yourself great sadness.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi Flair1239 :D
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:

McDune would have set your soul on fire and then have its way with your sanity. You made a good choice not to read them.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
lotek

Post by lotek »

welcome to the Cast Out!

You'll find enough info on nudunz here to make you want to bang your head on a brick wall shouting Why? How could they say that, and so on ...

Luckily there is also plenty of talk of Dune too, so feel free to participate in both(but as mentionned before, too much data on the hack's travesty might make you kinda angry!)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home! I envy your McDune purity.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

Welcome. For not having read the prequels you have immediately proven your wisdom versus 95% of this board. I envy you.
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

Hello, I wasn't online when I started reading them but after struggling through the last two (the ones
supposedly based on Frank's own miraculously discovered notes), I was so bloody angry I started to look
around for other folks opinions and ended up here and found my faith restored and my understanding
of the originals increased.
So there was a massive fringe benefit for me.
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

:greetings-wavingyellow: Greetings and salutations! (I thought I had said 'hello' here, but didn't see anything from me - my bad :oops:

Joined recently myself - I think you'll enjoy it here! I feel better for having joined in here... very cathartic, as well as informative and just plain awesome. Warm welcome!!!
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley: