Reading the Prequels/Sequels

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

blingdogg

Reading the Prequels/Sequels

Post by blingdogg »

Hello guys,

My question for this thread, is if I can read the new prequels/sequels by Anderson and Brian Herbert without a full knowledge of the original books by Frank? The story of the Butlerian Jihad and the House books looks really interesting as a science-fiction and fantasy fan, so I'm hoping to start reading them.

Are the Prequels/Sequels standalone books? Or will I not understand it if I didn't read all of Frank Herbert's books? I loved the original Dune, but found the following books too dense to get into.
Last edited by blingdogg on 23 Jun 2010 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
TheDukester

Re: Reading the Prequels/Sequels

Post by TheDukester »

Well, this should be interesting ... :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Is this Colonel Bat Guano of KJA Special Forces?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

WELCOME!ImageImage

"wormsign!"
blingdogg

Post by blingdogg »

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not posting this for sarcastic comments. I just want to know if the Anderson/Brian H books can be read without full knowledge of the original books.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Well, Colonel Bat Guano, if that really is your name, it's like Crocodile Dundee famously said about bats: "You can eat it, but it tastes like shit."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Okay, I'll play along.

To get a feel for the kind of discussion you're likely to find here regarding the McDune books, I'll recommend the following five threads:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1123&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1743&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=431&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1240&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2297&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(And, trust me, I could have added 15 more, easily).

So, if you're serious about this, then you clearly have no idea what this site is about or why it was even created in the first place. Which is fine — there's no crime in visiting a site for the first time — but you should definitely take the time the to read those threads.

And if you're just trolling, then it doesn't really matter. We'll have it figured out in a few hours, at most.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sure, they have practically nothing to do with Dune besides the names of the places and characters.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
blingdogg

Post by blingdogg »

TheDukester wrote:Okay, I'll play along.

To get a feel for the kind of discussion you're likely to find here regarding the McDune books, I'll recommend the following five threads:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1123&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1743&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=431&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1240&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2297&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(And, trust me, I could have added 15 more, easily).

So, if you're serious about this, then you clearly have no idea what this site is about or why it was even created in the first place. Which is fine — there's no crime in visiting a site for the first time — but you should definitely take the time the to read those threads.

And if you're just trolling, then it doesn't really matter. We'll have it figured out in a few hours, at most.
Ok, thanks. I'm not a troll, I just thought I could get some answers, from people who know Dune, without getting attacked. I wanted to start reading those books but wanted some clarification first. I'll try asking this on a different forum.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Happy Memorial Day
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You'll find more support for the McDune books here: http://forum.dunenovels.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We can only tell you how bad they are and that reading them may cause permanent brain damage.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

If you find the original series too dense to get through, you should indeed stick to the Atrocities... Image
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Attacked"? Please point out where that happened.

Also: http://www.dunenovels.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun; I feel confident that you'll love it there.
blingdogg

Post by blingdogg »

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the dunenovels site and forum. That's what I'm looking for.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

blingdogg wrote:Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the dunenovels site and forum. That's what I'm looking for.
Bye bye!

:greetings-waveyellow:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:Sure, they have practically nothing to do with Dune besides the names of the places and characters.
This is correct - you can absolutely read them without having read all of FH's stuff. Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic, you are actually BETTER OFF not having read FH's books before you read the new ones.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

blingdogg wrote:Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the dunenovels site and forum. That's what I'm looking for.
See you over there!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Extended further, one can easily read Anderjacket and Bobo Herbert without having completed the eighth grade.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

blingdogg wrote:Hello guys,

My question for this thread, is if I can read the new prequels/sequels by Anderson and Brian Herbert without a full knowledge of the original books by Frank?
that's how they were written, "without a full knowledge of the original books", so the answer is Yes!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

By "dense" do you mean too many big words or just too many words? If it's too many words in general, you don't want to read the prequels. If it's big words you're scared of, you'll REALLY enjoy the new books.

Alternatively you could just get two TVs and two DVD players, set them up next to each other and watch the Terminator trilogy and the Star Wars prequel trilogy simultaneously and save yourself the trouble. If you're having a hard time following along, get a third set and watch the complete original Battlestar Galactica TV show. To get the full effect, mute the sets and run Benny Hill music while you watch.

When you're done reading them please report back and let us know what you think. If you enjoy them I'll be sure to send the vasectomy team right over to make sure you're not at risk of breeding.
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

...and Welcome to Jacurutu!
lotek

Post by lotek »

A Little Galach wrote:run Benny Hill music while you watch.

just imagining the ghola galore running around the ultra no ship with that sound track put a smile to my face!
And then I remembered it was for real and I cried...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6gRX7- ... re=related[/youtube]
Spice is the worm's gonads.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Little Galach wrote:...and Welcome to Jacurutu!

That was a nice touch.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

This one is bound for the Bad Examples forum for "How Not To Introduce Yourself at Jacurutu".

No offense, Bling. :wink:
~Pink Snowman