Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Post by Freakzilla »

As well as linear implosion devices, the US developed a spherical implosion device that was very close to the theoretical lower limit of nuclear weapon yield and size. The Mk-54 Davy Crockett warhead AKA M388 was designed to be fired from the M28 & M29 recoilless rifle. Weighing only 23 kg, the warhead in its casing was 400 mm by 273 mm. It was first tested in October 1958 as part of Operation Hardtack and yielded 10 tons, but later developments increased that to 1 kiloton. 400 Mk-54 warheads were produced from 1961-65 and the last was withdrawn in 1971. The warhead was also adapted for the Mk-54 SADM (Special Atomic Demolition Munition), a cylinder 40 cm by 60 cm and weighing 68 kg. It was emplaced by hand and initiated by a mechanical timer, it had a variable yield from 10 tons up to 1 kiloton. 300 SADMs were made and they remained in the US arsenal until 1989.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I knew a guy that was part of a Davy Crockett squad stationed in Wurzburg, part of a crazy NATO strategy to counteract Soviet tank superiority.* The Cold War was hilarious. :|

EDIT:
*well, as far as I know, which is not very far
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:I knew a guy that was part of a Davy Crockett squad stationed in Wurzburg, part of a crazy NATO strategy to counteract Soviet tank superiority.* The Cold War was hilarious. :|

EDIT:
How else do you suggest stopping a million tanks from rolling through the Volga Gap? :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:I knew a guy that was part of a Davy Crockett squad stationed in Wurzburg, part of a crazy NATO strategy to counteract Soviet tank superiority.* The Cold War was hilarious. :|

EDIT:
How else do you suggest stopping a million tanks from rolling through the Volga Gap? :wink:
I got no idea, man. That's a pretty intense situation.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:How else do you suggest stopping a million tanks from rolling through the Volga Gap? :wink:
Oh, gawd, not THIS ONE again. :roll:

It's something about a busty Russian maiden, two bowling pins and a greased up dachshund, right? :puke:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I bet Onasander would know what to do.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

From experience. :shock:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

BP CEO takes a break to go to yacht races...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100620/ap_ ... _oil_spill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:
:lol: I like it!

I wonder if there is any reason for Coke Zero specifically; maybe it has a greater CO2 content, or maybe it was just the cheapest Coke around.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

I love how the American's reacted to this. First of all it was all us Brits fault, because its British Petrolium (even though 40% of shareholders are American), then it was Obama's fault for not personally diving down (after walking on the water) and fixing the problem.
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Kensai wrote:I love how the American's reacted to this. First of all it was all us Brits fault, because its British Petrolium (even though 40% of shareholders are American), then it was Obama's fault for not personally diving down (after walking on the water) and fixing the problem.
:?

I haven't seen anyone blamed for the spill besides BP and criticism for Obama not acting quickly or decisively is not the same as blame.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
Kensai wrote:I love how the American's reacted to this. First of all it was all us Brits fault, because its British Petrolium (even though 40% of shareholders are American), then it was Obama's fault for not personally diving down (after walking on the water) and fixing the problem.

I haven't seen anyone blamed for the spill besides BP and criticism for Obama not acting quickly or decisively is not the same as blame.
Yeah, I've never heard anyone (other than maybe some FOX idiots) say that this was anyone's fault other than BP's... not sure where you got that from.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

specifically, it was the TransOcean Project Superintendent's fault -
he's the one who made the call to continue drilling after evidence
of the damaged BOP was presented to him the month before the
blowout ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:specifically, it was the TransOcean Project Superintendent's fault -
he's the one who made the call to continue drilling after evidence
of the damaged BOP was presented to him the month before the
blowout ...
They were the subcontractor of BP that was doing the actual drilling, right?
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yes.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I'm doing some work with BP at the moment, but this is a land-based project rather than off-shore. They seem to give their subbies who work under their framework agreements a complete hold harmless. Wonder if they do the same off-shore, so Transocean are completely off the hook?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

chanilover wrote:I'm doing some work with BP at the moment, but this is a land-based project rather than off-shore.
Would this "land based" project happen to be the one in the Arctic where they build their own island in the water and linked it to a road to get over the other regulations?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Nekhrun wrote:
chanilover wrote:I'm doing some work with BP at the moment, but this is a land-based project rather than off-shore.
Would this "land based" project happen to be the one in the Arctic where they build their own island in the water and linked it to a road to get over the other regulations?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Fuck, that's a good trick.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

It's really happening...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/us/24rig.html?ref=us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Yeah, I've never heard anyone (other than maybe some FOX idiots) say that this was anyone's fault other than BP's... not sure where you got that from.
The only time I heard the nation of GB pulled into this thing is when the British PM actually started making comments in defense of BP. It was as if he was BP's older brother that was getting picked on by a bully.

The whole thing reeks of incompetence. BP, the government agencies supposed to regulate the process and plan/execute the cleanup process, the White House -all fuckups. Eveyone except the people who will actually be affected by this mess: The affected states and their constituents.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

A Little Galach wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

The only time I heard the nation of GB pulled into this thing is when the British PM actually started making comments in defense of BP. It was as if he was BP's older brother that was getting picked on by a bully.

The whole thing reeks of incompetence. BP, the government agencies supposed to regulate the process and plan/execute the cleanup process, the White House -all fuckups. Eveyone except the people who will actually be affected by this mess: The affected states and their constituents.
Meh, the only disaster is the ecological one. The residents of those clapped out states with their already dying industries are in for a bonanza.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The gulf coast region is what we call our "Redneck Riviera" and thousands go to those beaches on vacation every year.

Fishing in the Gulf wasn't dead until this.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

chanilover wrote:Meh, the only disaster is the ecological one. The residents of those clapped out states with their already dying industries are in for a bonanza.
That's just plain wrong. Those states may not be as productive as others in the union, but they are important to the nation and in their own regard. They're also some of the brightest cultural spots in the entire country. This seems to me to be a huge deal. Huge.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!