Macross Frontier begins

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

orald wrote:Not getting what you're at, really. Why don't you ask Freak why he's "taking a shot at it". After all, he's agreed with me about their looks.
I'm just not convinced by your half excuse that tells me the opposite from what my eyes plainly see.

They have caucasian features. In contrast to those, there ARE some asian looking characters out there, in the same shows and animation jenre.

Explain it without saying they're not caucasian features.
That makes two of us, REALLY. You’ve been trolling this topic ever since it started and then suddenly decide you want an actual discussion? You were given the benefit of the doubt but you couldn't go two posts without starting shots with your old anti-PC crusader routine. So yes, I'm not buying your about face. The only half excuse I see here is your faux discussion attempt as an excuse to off again first chance you got.
orald

Post by orald »

Uh...excuse me? If I wanted to take shots at anime I don't really need to ask why it's full of caucasians talking Japanese, I'd just point out to the utter rediculousness of most of its content.

Just say you don't know the answer, it's fine by me. I'll just keep wondering.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh, I know you don't care orald: that's the point. It only took how many "rediculous" posts until you admitted it. And with that, the defense case closes :)
orald

Post by orald »

Can someone explain to me where in my above post I said I don't care?
Maybe you're reading someone else's post?

Just admit it, it's wierd and rediculous that they're caucasians and you can't come up with any reasonable theory other than say "they only look caucasian to us".

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

*refers to the three page string of orald's trolling* Yeah, you care, you just don't give a shit :roll:

Moving along to more Macross goodness, here are pictures from Episode #5. The RAW is out, but no subtitles as yet.

Alto and Sheryl in a spat
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... -angry.jpg

Cat...weird
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... 05-cat.jpg

Alto and Klan (at full size) watch Sheryl drawing
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... -klan2.jpg

Fighter from the Macross Galaxy Fleet (with fold booster visible below)
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... ighter.jpg

Mr. Brila
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... rbilra.jpg

Ranka strikes a classic Minmay pose
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... areach.jpg

Ranka as the star she's born to be
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... kastar.jpg

A possible intimate moment for Sheryl and Alto?
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... lalto2.jpg

Let's hope the hot dog of the future isn't made up of lips and rear ends
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... ryldog.jpg

The SMS' main warship
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... sship1.jpg

Vajra on display, looks like they got energy converting armor just like the Valkyries
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... vajra2.jpg

Macross shopping, no other experience quite like it
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/miscellaneo ... ishoes.jpg
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nice stills, to me I'm so out of touch with the Macrossverse but it's nice to have a lill' looksee. There's a nice style kinda Neon Genesis Evangelion meats Cowboy Bebop going on, at least to my under educated eyes and forgetting the chronological reversal :)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

You should try it out. Macross Frontier stands very well on it's own. Unlike many other franchises, most of the Macross sequels are stand alone stories and don't require a bunch of back story to appreciate them individually. ANd Frontier is just starting, so it's easy to get into it :)

I like this particular style as well. It is very much like Cowboy Bebop, though a little more dynamic in it's depiction of still motion.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

GamePlayer wrote:I like this particular style as well. It is very much like Cowboy Bebop, though a little more dynamic in it's depiction of still motion.
Sounds good, are you saying that the artistic style changes a bit from outing to outing?

One of my fondest childhood memories was watching an old early Anime called Battle of the Planets did you ever see it?
orald

Post by orald »

inhuien wrote:Sounds good, are you saying that the artistic style changes a bit from outing to outing?
Yea, one has an all caucasian cast, then it goes on to insert the odd asian cast member then back again to an all-white supremacist crew. :lol:

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

inhuien wrote:Sounds good, are you saying that the artistic style changes a bit from outing to outing?

One of my fondest childhood memories was watching an old early Anime called Battle of the Planets did you ever see it?
It can change, but it can also be very similar. A large part of animation style and motif is ruled by the initial character designer and the animation director. Even if key animators vary from project to project, you'll likely see a strong similarity in animation style if the character designer and animation director are the same person. For example, Toshihiro Kawamoto was involved in the animation of both Macross Plus and Cowboy Bebop. You'll note many shared elements of his character designs and style are present in both productions.

In the case of Macross Frontier, Yûichi Takahashi and Risa Ebata have their own style but it's definitely an obvious lineage to either the work of Studio Gainax or Kawamoto himself.

I'm familiar with Gatchaman (aka Battle of the Planets) from my youth, but I never got into it. My first anime's were Tetsuwan Atomu and Nausicaa of the Valley of The Wind. Ironic indeed that I just happened to start off with the works of two classic anime masters :)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

My first Anime exposure was Star Blazers. I LOVE the Yamato movies and Captain Harlock. Robotech followed that an the nI got into Masamune Shirow's work, Appleseed in particular and went from there.

Rob
Last edited by Robspierre on 04 May 2008 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

My first was Speed Racer. Really the first cartoon I can remember, besides the standard Bugs Bunny/Tom & Jerry. Then Starblazers and Battle of the Planets. I did't see Robotech until years later and I was blown away.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

GamePlayer wrote:My first anime's were Tetsuwan Atomu and Nausicaa of the Valley of The Wind. Ironic indeed that I just happened to start off with the works of two classic anime masters :)
I seen Nausicaa of the Valley of The Wind a few years ago and loved it, astro boy I've not seen but I'll have a look on youtub for a taste.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive never been a very big anime fan, but my first were Kimba, Speed Racer and Marine Boy. Star Blazers (first season only) was really awesome and I loved it, then that one with either the five lion robots or the fifteen cars that turned into something bigger came along and I totally lost interest; at least until I saw Princess Mononoke, that is.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Robspierre
Yamato is good stuff. It's a shame I've only seen bits and pieces over the years. One of these days I need to revisit it all. Naturally, Shirow's work is fantastic too.

Freak Z
Never got into Speed Racer myself. Btw, have you seen the previews for that live action movie coming out soon? :)

inhuien
Tetsuwan Atomu was something I watched a lot of in my childhood, but haven't seen any in decades. It doesn't offer much to enjoy as an adult, IMO. Nausicaa on the other hand remains a very poignant piece even to this day. There's some solid subtext in the film (especially in the manga) and I enjoy watching it again and again.

Omphalos
It's been difficult at times to sustain my interest in anime simply for the fact that most of the distributors go with what sells most widely. It's rare that a Macross production comes along or something more mature like Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Cowboy Bebop. The North American distributors like to concentrate on more vapid, easy to sell productions to a younger audience. Plus, anime being very niche in NA also hurts exposure. It forces fans to really dig for the gems. Yeah, Princess Mononoke was awesome.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

After four episodes of adventure, small character moments and establishing cast, Macross Frontier episode five focuses at last upon the three central characters Ranka, Sheryl and Alto. Taking a break from the action up until this point, episode five concentrates on building up the story for both the characters and the drama yet to come. Several discoveries about the new Macross universe are unveiled. The broader world of the Macross Froniter fleet is shown as Sheryl and Alto travel among the various areas of Island One and find entire areas where full-sized Zentradi live. On Island Three, Leon reveals some interesitng facts after examining the Vajra: they are advanced bio-mechanical weapons possessing the same energy converting armor as a Valkyrie fighter but controlled by a very small, limited brain. The big question remains who controls these creatures?

Back on Island One, Sheryl pursues Alto in an attempt to locate her missing earing. She seems determined to find it, but is also welcoming the opportunity to be with Alto. For all their arguing and clashes, Sheryl seems to value the fact that Alto doesn't gush over her like nearly everyone else in her life. Alto too is slowly learning that the same drive within himself is also found in Sheryl; Alto wants to fly and pursue his dream and Sheryl works hard for her singing. The two have more in common than either care to admit, but it's clear they have a connection. Meanwhile Ranka runs into trouble with her brother Ozuma. Seems Ranka's performance at the Miss Macross Frontier contest got her suspended from her puritanical private school. Ranka is beginning to understand what sacrifices she has to make to pursue her dreams. With some hard-to-swallow advice from Mikhail, Ranka puts on a public show of her singing, determined to overcome her shyness. She almost falters, but one of Alto's paper planes flies overhead and she's swept up in her emotions for him. Singing proudly to no one in particular, Ranka attracts a crowd with her melodic voice.

While definitely a slower paced story, this episode is filled with great character moments. With the players in this tale firmly established, it was well past time to delve into the love triangle between Sheryl, Alto and Ranka. Macross Frontier is doing a great job pacing itself without repeating and without ever becoming dull. The audience is invested and the writers are determined to deliver.

Next up, episode six. Deculture! :)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I've also enjoyed Sorcerer Hunters, BubbleGum Crisis (the original tv show was meh), Those Who Hunt Elves, Gasaraki, Vampire Hunter D, Nausicaa, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, uhm, a bunch of hentai...... :twisted:

Rob
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

It's the deep inhale before the plunge, as they say, and I can't wait for more. Episode 6 of Macross Frontier begins placing the pieces for what is sure to be a major confrontation in episode 7. When we left off in episode 5 the Macross Frontier had received a distress call from the Macross Galaxy fleet. The Vajra have launched a major strike against them and the Frontier fleet has decided to launch a rescue.

Our characters spend some personal time with each other before the inevitable conflict and we sense some trepidation from Alto. It's clear he's growing feelings for Sheryl but it's also clear he's not able to detach from his fondness for Ranka. While he tries to keep her at a distance, Alto is still going out of his way to maintain a connection with her, a choice that will most likely come back to haunt him when Ranka imposes her feelings upon him. Ranka for her part has demonstrated her commitment to being a singer and when she returns to her older brother Ozuma, it's with a talent scout in hand asking Ozuma's permission to represent the young Ranka. With credibility at her side, Ozuma has little choice but to reluctantly accept Ranka as a growing star. Sheryl decides to continue her farewell concert in the face of the horrifying news of the attack on her home fleet, but we know that she's already made a connection with Macross Frontier and it's likely to be her home before long.

Though there is little in the way of character development, this episode is mostly an affirmation of the connection between all the established characters. The last part of the episode features Sheryl's final concert intercut between the launch of the Macross Quarter and its rescue fleet. It makes for a truly emotional and moving finale filled with tension for the terrible conflict to come. Macross as a show is known for being rather lethal with characters and if the original is any indication, we may see some of our heroes pass before long. For now, we're left with the impending danger that awaits them and the sense of resolve Ozuma hopes to inpire in his brave warriors.

Next up, episode 7. Deculture!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:..then that one with either the five lion robots or the fifteen cars that turned into something bigger came along and I totally lost interest...
Voltron?

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Thats him. There were two of them. One was made up of five lions. The other of fifteen cars and planes.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

voltron is the extent of my interest in this genre .... i had the bad ass 2 foot tall toy when i was a kid .... that thing was awesome... when i see how shitty they make toys today i think back to that bad boy and how great it was
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Tyrant wrote:when i see how shitty they make toys today i think back to that bad boy and how great it was
I forgive thee, for you know not of what you speak :) :P

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

GamePlayer wrote:
Tyrant wrote:when i see how shitty they make toys today i think back to that bad boy and how great it was
I forgive thee, for you know not of what you speak :) :P

oh come on...the old voltron beats the shit out of those ... plus if you drop all 3 of teh empire state building..i bet voltron is more intact
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Hehehe, better take a good look at the old Voltron figures without going from 20 years of hazy memory looking through nostalgia filled glasses. I used to think the same thing about the old Bandai 1/55 Valkyries. Looking at them now they are absolute garbage compared to modern products :) Btw, the Revoltechs are quite sturdy.
orald

Post by orald »

Only mechs I'd be rooting for would be some of the more realistic and military like Battletech ones. Those and Titans, Wolverines* and Jaugernaughts. GDI rulez. 8)

*Well, OK, more like battle armor.