Dune SE with McNelly interview?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Dune SE with McNelly interview?

Post by SandChigger »

Some PoS over at DN posted this a few days back:
The Special Edition of Dune (Artisan) has a good interview with Willis McNelly. In the interview Willis states FH read the Koran and learned over 400 Arabic words. McNelly also has an interesting comment on the relationship between the worms and spice. . .
Anyone have this version or know if the interview is available elsewhere? Or if there's a transcript?

(I really hate asshat pickle fuckers.)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Dune SE with McNelly interview?

Post by Nekhrun »

I wonder if it's the same interview that we've read before.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:Some PoS over at DN posted this a few days back:
The Special Edition of Dune (Artisan) has a good interview with Willis McNelly. In the interview Willis states FH read the Koran and learned over 400 Arabic words. McNelly also has an interesting comment on the relationship between the worms and spice. . .
Anyone have this version or know if the interview is available elsewhere? Or if there's a transcript?

google search "asshat pickle fuckers"
(I got the general meaning but sometimes google helps with finer details if available)
And surprise surprise, who's hit number 1???

:mrgreen:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Nekhrun wrote:I wonder if it's the same interview that we've read before.
I think it has to be ... never seen another one ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I saw that a few days ago and was also confused. I think I figured it out, but screw me if I was going to clarify his bumbleheadedness over at DN. He's talking about the special edition DVD of the Lynch movie, not some pressing of the book. IIRC there are some interview shots of McNelly in the special features. "Artisan" is probably "Artisan Home Entertainment."

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

lotek wrote:

(I got the general meaning but sometimes google helps with finer details if available)

:lol: ... I had to check it.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Omphalos wrote:I saw that a few days ago and was also confused. I think I figured it out, but screw me if I was going to clarify his bumbleheadedness over at DN. He's talking about the special edition DVD of the Lynch movie, not some pressing of the book. IIRC there are some interview shots of McNelly in the special features. "Artisan" is probably "Artisan Home Entertainment."
Sounds like the R1 SE of the FHD miniseries - Artisan definitely released that one, and it had some interesting sounding features like that sort of thing.

Checked - yup, tis:
http://www.needcoffee.com/2003/12/07/dune-directors-cut-2000-dvd-review/ wrote:Features:

* Director's cut with 30 minutes of additional footage
* Commentary by production team: Harrison, Ernest Farino, Harry Miler, Greg Nicotero, and Tim McHugh
* "Willis McNelly on Dune" featurette (author of Dune Encyclopedia and close friend of Frank Herbert)
* "The Lure of Spice" featurette (behind-the-scenes)
* "The Color Wheel" featurette (discussion with cinematographer Vittorio Storaro)
* "Walking and Talking with John Harrison" interview with the director
* "Defining the Messiah" featurette with religious scholars and Jungian psychologist
* "Science Future/Science Fiction Roundtable" featurette - panel including Harlan Ellison, Octavia Butler, Michael Cassutt, inventor Ray Kurzweil, and director Harrison
* Essay on cinematographic theory behind the production, by Storaro
* Photo gallery, including production sketches and stills
(Nothing on Youtube et al as far as I can see)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Serkanner wrote:
lotek wrote:

:lol: ... I had to check it.
:) :lol:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So it's probably just McNelly reiterating his "spice is worm sperm" idea from the interview he did with Frank & Beverly? (Which Frank just agreed with and didn't shoot down.)

In a more perfect world arnoldo would be less the right cunt and actually try to start a discussion, instead of just being a cock tease. :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I believe it is. I have watched it before (just forgot it was mini-series and not theatrical release). I think it's short, so if I get time I'll watch again.

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Didn't see a ref. to mohammed in here but I hope it's not redundant info.

http://www.sinanvural.com/seksek/inien/tvd/tvd2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[quote="SandChigger"]So it's probably just McNelly reiterating his "spice is worm sperm" idea from the interview he did with Frank & Beverly? (Which Frank just agreed with and didn't shoot down.)

I got the same feeling, Frank said he deliberatly used open ended ideas to spark imagination.Willis is obviously educated but stikes me as insecure...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

D Pope wrote:Didn't see a ref. to mohammed in here but I hope it's not redundant info.

http://www.sinanvural.com/seksek/inien/tvd/tvd2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, that's the transcript of the (audio) taped interview that WMcN did with FH & wife. :)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

that brings up a point I've been thinking about again :

I've only found four (4) interviews with Frank transcribed & posted on the web ...

they are collected here:
http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewforum.php?f=615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

are there others, from magazines or newspapers that have not been posted ?

also, all of you with time on your hands and copies of Frank's recorded audio/video interviews
should get to transcribing, and post in the archive @T(A)U ...

and also, all of you should feel free to post relevant material in the relevant categories at any time;
(questions of copyright and re-posting should be directed to Omphalos)(I do not ken to "copyright" ...)
if you think something should be set up in it's own section, tell me and I'll give you my mod password
and you can do it your damn self; and, anybody that does want to work on cleaning up some of the
poor copy&paste jobs I did two years ago can certainly do that ... but it seems like I tried to get you
people involved with that before we moved the thing to T(A)U ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:that brings up a point I've been thinking about again :

I've only found four (4) interviews with Frank transcribed & posted on the web ...

they are collected here:
http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewforum.php?f=615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

are there others, from magazines or newspapers that have not been posted ?

also, all of you with time on your hands and copies of Frank's recorded audio/video interviews
should get to transcribing, and post in the archive @T(A)U ...

and also, all of you should feel free to post relevant material in the relevant categories at any time;
(questions of copyright and re-posting should be directed to Omphalos)(I do not ken to "copyright" ...)
if you think something should be set up in it's own section, tell me and I'll give you my mod password
and you can do it your damn self; and, anybody that does want to work on cleaning up some of the
poor copy&paste jobs I did two years ago can certainly do that ... but it seems like I tried to get you
people involved with that before we moved the thing to T(A)U ....
I'll get to proofing these one day, SR, but because I promised him first, Freak's book summaries are in line ahead of this.

As to the mod password, please don't give that to anyone. I trust you guys, but I don't want anyone but me or those who I choose fucking around with the mod panels on T(A)U.

SR, there are other minor interviews floating around out there. Several of them are either posted or referrred to in the Interviews section of the FHSS page here. I also have five or six magazine interviews that I will one day scan and post, and I have citations for a ton of foreign ones I one day hope to collect, scan and post.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:I'll get to proofing these one day, SR, but because I promised him first, Freak's book summaries are in line ahead of this.
I plan on starting my annual re-read soon and going through the summaries myself as I go so you can put mine on the back burner.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman