Diff'rent Strokes' star Gary Coleman dies

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

cmsahe

Diff'rent Strokes' star Gary Coleman dies

Post by cmsahe »

When I was little Diff'rent Strokes was a phenomenon here in Mexico, even today you can hear people quoting: What are you talking about Willis? I'm sorry to hear about the death of Gary Coleman.
:::::::::::::::
CTV.ca News Staff

Gary Coleman, the child star of the smash 1970s TV sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes," has died after suffering an intercranial hemorrhage. He was 42.

Coleman had been on life support since Thursday, after suffering an intercranial hemorrhage at his home in Santaquin, Utah, 90 kilometres south of Salt Lake City.

A statement released on behalf of Coleman's family said the 42-year-old suffered the hemorrhage Wednesday, but remained conscious and lucid until midday Thursday when his condition worsened and he was placed on life support.

He did not regain consciousness.

The statement, released by Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, in Provo, did not give details on Coleman's condition beyond calling it an intracranial hemorrhage, which is bleeding inside the head.

Coleman suffered from health problems for most of his life, having had at least two kidney transplants and ongoing dialysis from a a kidney disease he contracted as a child.

Last fall, he had heart surgery complicated by pneumonia, according to his lawyer Randy Kester.

In February, Coleman also suffered a seizure on the set of "The Insider."

Coleman is best known for his stint on the hit television show "Diff'rent Strokes," between 1978 and 1986.

After the series ended, Coleman went through a string of financial and legal problems, which his family acknowledged in its statement, saying he had "difficulties not only with health issues, but also with his personal and public life."

"At times it may not have been apparent, but he always had fond memories of being an entertainer and appreciates his fans for all their support over the years."

He moved to Utah in 2005 to star in the movie "Church Ball," a comedy based on basketball leagues formed by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He met his wife Shannon Price on the movie set and married her in 2007.

In February, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour criminal mischief charge related to an April 2009 domestic violence incident at his home.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Hunchback Jack

Re: Diff'rent Strokes' star Gary Coleman dies

Post by Hunchback Jack »

cmsahe wrote:Gary Coleman, the child star of the smash 1970s TV sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes," has died after suffering an intercranial hemorrhage. He was 42.
There's an obvious joke there, but I'll spare us all.

Sad. Damn, that's young, too.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

he'll live forever in legacy copies of Postal 2 ....

protip: enable cheats, and type whatchutalkinbout to turn all NPCs in the game into Gary ...

>>edit

and this was weird, but I almost changed my sig last week to :
"What the hell was Willis talkin' bout, anyway ?"
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote:he'll live forever in legacy copies of Postal 2 ....
Heh. That game's great. Thought of it immediately after reading the original post.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Christsakes, what a string of disasters for the actors on that show. Who knew that Todd Bridges would turn out to be the most well-rounded of them? :shock:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

First Harwood. Now Gary. I wonder who will be the third and final member of this celebrity death trifecta?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Dang, this is the first I've heard of this. Dang !
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:Christsakes, what a string of disasters for the actors on that show. Who knew that Todd Bridges would turn out to be the most well-rounded of them? :shock:
Wha-chu talkin' 'bout Jesus?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Omphalos wrote:First Harwood. Now Gary. I wonder who will be the third and final member of this celebrity death trifecta?
This may not count for some people, but the writer for the Thundercats 1980s cartoon was murdered.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/holly ... on-murder/
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleszer wrote:This may not count for some people, but the writer for the Thundercats 1980s cartoon was murdered.
NONSENSE! That counts as a public service in my book. :twisted:

I'm sorry Coleman has passed away, and a such a relatively young age.

I hated that "Different Strokes" show, but I did quite enjoy his later work as Geordi on ST:TNG.