Looking for a project?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Looking for a project?

Post by Omphalos »

We have a project here I have been meaning to get to, but have not found the time yet. Anyone who wants to do this, I'd appreciate it.

For new users our captchca displays photos of cats and cars, and asks potential members to identify one or the other by clicking on check boxes next to each photo. If you can't do that, we assume you are a machine intelligence and call in the phase rifles with 20 megawatt ranges. Ive been meaning to do up some photos of Fremen and Ornithipters from the various Dune films, then replacing the pics in our db. If someone would like to create about 20 or so of each, I would upload them for use.

They have to be 112 x 84, and they have to be clear. That is, it must be clear what one is looking at, no sandstorms obscuring, and above all else, no pics that have both Fremen and ornithopters in them. If you want to do something else, for example worms and heighliners, or Royalty and glowglobes, that's fine too, but I'd like one organic thing and one mechanical thing, just so's things don't get too difficult. Any format is cool (.jpg, etc).

Let me know if you want to do this. Thanks.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Re: Looking for a project?

Post by lotek »

that's a great idea, customization is the way!!

I'll give that a go tomorrow if I am not too busy at work :)

i can hear someone laughing at the back... that's not nice Chig!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If you're into that kind of thing, Dune themed forum skins would be welcomed too! :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:If you're into that kind of thing, Dune themed forum skins would be welcomed too! :wink:
i am not too familiar with it but i learn fast so why not?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:If you're into that kind of thing, Dune themed forum skins would be welcomed too! :wink:
i am not too familiar with it but i learn fast so why not?
I'd like DuneFishUK's font used extensively, if anyone decides to tackle that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

BTW, Omph, the custom captchca images are a great idea! I'll look for some "clip art" we can use, too.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:I'd like DuneFishUK's font used extensively, if anyone decides to tackle that.
That would really only be practical in things like the "Quote" and "Post Reply" buttons, etc.

Unless of course you want to create a ponderous, image-blown monstrosity like Worm's base theme? Or the shitsmear that is DuneNovels?

(Sorry, love da Worm, but when I visit it's a PITA until I get logged in and my personal "default theme" setting kicks in. And even that doesn't totally block the "vanity ani-gifs". :( )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I'd like DuneFishUK's font used extensively, if anyone decides to tackle that.
That would really only be practical in things like the "Quote" and "Post Reply" buttons, etc.

Unless of course you want to create a ponderous, image-blown monstrosity like Worm's base theme? Or the shitsmear that is DuneNovels?

(Sorry, love da Worm, but when I visit it's a PITA until I get logged in and my personal "default theme" setting kicks in. And even that doesn't totally block the "vanity ani-gifs". :( )
Couldn't it be used on forum and topic titles too?
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'll have to look into it more, but I know you can tell the browser to use certain fonts by setting them in the CSS style sheets. But if the user doesn't have the fonts installed on their computer, the browser reverts to a default font. So if you want it to look the same for everyone, you're going to have to use image files. That would be fine for things like Forum titles that don't change that often, but topic titles would be out of the question unless you could generate the images on the fly. (You can do that, I'm pretty sure that's where the registration captcha things come from, but it would mean an increase in board processing overhead and all and require some programming.)

Take all the above with a grain of salt; I'm pretty sure this is how it works, but I may be wrong about the details.

Hey! You could always contact Hyppo and ask her! She's an expert skinner! :laughing-rolling:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:I'll have to look into it more, but I know you can tell the browser to use certain fonts by setting them in the CSS style sheets. But if the user doesn't have the fonts installed on their computer, the browser reverts to a default font. So if you want it to look the same for everyone, you're going to have to use image files. That would be fine for things like Forum titles that don't change that often, but topic titles would be out of the question unless you could generate the images on the fly. (You can do that, I'm pretty sure that's where the registration captcha things come from, but it would mean an increase in board processing overhead and all and require some programming.)

Take all the above with a grain of salt; I'm pretty sure this is how it works, but I may be wrong about the details.

Hey! You could always contact Hyppo and ask her! She's an expert skinner! :laughing-rolling:
I'm sure you're right about needing the font installed on each user's PC. However, There's got to be a work around.

We could make the default with a standard font and one with the Dune font and make an announcement about it being available. Or something like that...
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ill ask Raggy. He knows all of that shit.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Here are two test pages:

http://resources.hairyticksofdune.net/ohfonttest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://resources.hairyticksofdune.net/ohfonttest2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first sets the basic font for the page to Orthodox Herbertarian. If you have the font installed on your machine, you should see everything on the page in it. (I'm assuming Windows makes sense and works the same way as Mac. :roll: ) Naturally, we wouldn't want EVERYTHING to use the font, just headings & titles, etc.

The second page sets everything to a font called Orthodontic Mayhem, which I'm assuming no one in the world has. ;)

You could tweak the current theme stylesheets to use the font with little effort, I should think....
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Like this:

http://resources.hairyticksofdune.net/ohfonttest3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:dance:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

That could really class up the place.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freak, if this happens, please don't make anything the default without letting us try to attach the captchca hooks first. Otherwise were wide open.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SandChigger wrote:

I sorta agree - and there's a big difference between bloated "themes" and skins ..
I like having control over the appearance and some choice when I get tired of one look -
still using the 610 'cause it's cool, but I've recently reset my whole windows look around a
neon-green on black firefox theme that's real easy on my eyes - so I'd like a matching skin
for here, but with the cool header & such ....

I think you guys are smart enough to walk the line between generic default forums and needlessly
bloated bullshit like C.H. Tabr ... and emoticon management, please -
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It would be cool to get at least the logo on all the themes we have here. Looking at the list of themes we have currently:

610nm - DONE
Guild Wars - not done.. but proper dead easy to Idualify.
Minimal - n/a
Prosilver - DONE
SubSilver - not done... but again dead easy to add logo.
Twilight - I'm sure I did a logo graphic for this one... :? Will check.

I'll have a tinker at some point later... :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Twilight
Yeah had done it. Thought I uploaded it too.. but can't find it :? Ah well.

And: <Image>
aka: http://ghafla.dribble-sponge.co.uk/jacu ... e_logo.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Yes... it does look like nothing. It's a little bit of transparency.)

They go in:

styles/twilightBB/theme/images/header.jpg

styles/twilightBB/imageset/site_logo.gif

Subsilver.

This one replaces: styles/subsilver2/imageset/site_logo.gif

Guild Wars

Stick it: styles/GuildWarsAlliance/Imageset/Banner.jpg

:)

Bring on the main event :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

now that is nice!!

edit

I've started to collect some pics for the captchas, i'll post them tomorrow as they're on my work pc :)

the examples I sent to Omphalos for approval ;)
Last edited by lotek on 13 Apr 2010 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

lotek wrote:Image

now that is nice!!
I like the 610 skin, but that is awesome DuneFish.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I assume that's The Shrine of the Skull? Very nice!
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Schoenherr is the master :)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That is nice indeed, what do I have to change the skin to for that to be mine?
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

DuneFishUK wrote:Schoenherr is the master :)
It's a fitting tribute then.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:That is nice indeed, what do I have to change the skin to for that to be mine?
We'll make an announcement when it's ready.
~Pink Snowman