Official Dune Facebook

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Official Dune Facebook

Post by SandChigger »

The Muadru are one of the more stupid McDune additions to the Duniverse. Even the name declares how little research or thought went into their creation.

NOT ONE character in six books over twenty years mentions them even ONCE. Yet since their appearance in The Machine Crusade, there hasn't been a McDune book in which they aren't mentioned at least once. (MC: 10 mentions; BoC: 5; HuoD: 1; SoD: 1; PoD: 5; WoD: 1)

Not ONE reference in passing in all those books, even by "Oh, but listen to me prattle on, ha ha!" Leto II? Even the "Flying Dutchman of space" got one mention. Norma Cenva? She's in there, too. But the mysterious Muadru?

Zilch.

From their first appearance it was obvious from the form of the name that some connection was going to be made with "Muad'Dib", but it wasn't until PoD that it showed up:
"Your name comes from the Muadru?"

"There appears to be a linguistic connection between the Fremen and the Muadru, but the latter race vanished at independent sites all over the galaxy—suggesting a terrible cataclysm that took them all at once."
If "Chisra Sala Muad'Dib" in Winds demonstrated how little respect KJA or BH has for Arabs and their language (they didn't care enough to get the details right), the connection of "Muadru" and "Muad'Dib" demonstrated their ignorance. (In passing, there are problems with the science of a "terrible cataclysm" overtaking a space-faring race "all over the galaxy ... all at once" but the main problem is that Mr. "I write the science" is STUPID.)

Gah. Enough.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

what a fucking moron...
As anyone who can read and remember information a bit longer than a bloody goldfish(or a living fail of a hack):

From Dune

"
"What do you call among you the little mouse, the mouse that jumps?", Paul asked.
[...]
"We call that one muad'dib.", Stilgar chuckled.
"
So what that dickhead is saying is that that stupid ancient race's heritage was the name of a mouse?

Plus the fact that most animals on Dune were brought in by the Fremen building their ecosystem. It is a safe bet they renamed them on introducing them to the planet so that stupid theory doesn't make the remotest(?)sense!!

Just because
Muadru
Muad'Dib

that's the level of linguistics of that pathetic wanker...

Jee
Zussssss
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

lotek wrote:what a fucking moron...
As anyone who can read and remember information a bit longer than a bloody goldfish(or a living fail of a hack):

From Dune

"
"What do you call among you the little mouse, the mouse that jumps?", Paul asked.
[...]
"We call that one muad'dib.", Stilgar chuckled.
"
So what that dickhead is saying is that that stupid ancient race's heritage was the name of a mouse?

Plus the fact that most animals on Dune were brought in by the Fremen building their ecosystem. It is a safe bet they renamed them on introducing them to the planet so that stupid theory doesn't make the remotest(?)sense!!
Except for the fact that the reason the Muadru disappeared was because an even more ancient race shot them all with the dreaded Mighty Morphin' Mouse Ray (Muad Caster) and the little Kangaroo Mice running around Arrakis are actually the descendants of the once mighty race of worm-wranglin' space travelers.

Sheesh, you need to think about it before you let things rile you up. There's always a reason for everything they do.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:doh:

:lol:

I've explained this somewhere here before, but basically Muad'Dib is really mu'addib, originally a "teacher of 'adab" (root: '-D-B) or culture, literature & etiquette. (So FH's terms "adab" & "Muad'Dib" come from the same root.) The mouse was given the name mu'addib because its way of life could make it a different type of "instructor-of-boys" on Arrakis. The mu- prefix is used in forming participles, which is what mu'addib really is, an active participle, so the mu- is like the -ing suffix in English.

There are thousands of words in Arabic that begin with mu-, just as there are thousands in English that end in -ing. Muadru and Muad'Dib would be no more related than writing and hacking and shitting (on a legacy) and fucking (it up) are.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot: the "well, languages change over time, and this is a LONG time in the future, so current Arabic rules won't apply!" gambit won't work, either, because how can the language have changed SO MUCH yet remain essentially identical to Arabic as we know it?

Conclusion: NO research was done. The idea of an ancient space-faring HUMAN race rammed into the Duniverse is STUPID. Whichever of the braintrusts (and my money is on KJA, although the fuzzyhead could have had something to do with it) came up with it is STUPID. Anyone who buys it for a minute is STUPID.

Any questions?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

only stupid questions :lol: but there are other places for those :)
Nekhrun wrote:Except for the fact that the reason the Muadru disappeared was because an even more ancient race shot them all with the dreaded Mighty Morphin' Mouse Ray (Muad Caster) and the little Kangaroo Mice running around Arrakis are actually the descendants of the once mighty race of worm-wranglin' space travelers.

Sheesh, you need to think about it before you let things rile you up. There's always a reason for everything they do.
:lol: :lol:
yeah I should have more faith really...
as in
blind faith though
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

lotek wrote:only stupid questions :lol: but there are other places for those :)
Nekhrun wrote:Except for the fact that the reason the Muadru disappeared was because an even more ancient race shot them all with the dreaded Mighty Morphin' Mouse Ray (Muad Caster) and the little Kangaroo Mice running around Arrakis are actually the descendants of the once mighty race of worm-wranglin' space travelers.

as in
blind faith though
There's a reason why Muad'Dib allowed himself to be blinded by the stone burner... :cylon101:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleszer wrote:
lotek wrote:only stupid questions :lol: but there are other places for those :)

as in
blind faith though
There's a reason why Muad'Dib allowed himself to be blinded by the stone burner... :cylon101:
Booooooo! :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman