What are you reading?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Hunchback Jack

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, I'm as disgusted as you. I clearly need to read the book multiple times and NEVER SEE THE MOVIE AGAIN.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh NO! Think of the ... pugs! :laughing:

The door opposite the Duke banged open. Thufir Hawat strode through it looking older and more leathery than ever. He paced down the length of the table, stopped at attention facing Leto.

"My Lord," he said, speaking to a point over Leto's head, "I have just learned how I failed you. It becomes necessary that I tender my resig—"

"Oh, sit down and stop acting the fool," the Duke said. He waved to the chair across from Paul where one of the pugs was curled up asleep. "If you made a mistake, it was in overestimating the Harkonnens. Their simple minds came up with a simple trick. We didn't count on simple tricks. And my son has been at great pains to point out to me that he came through this largely because of your training. You didn't fail there!" He tapped the back of the chair. "Sit down, I say!"

Hawat sank into the chair after waking and dislodging the dog. "But—"
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

at the moment I'm re-reading HoD and after that I'll re-read Chapterhouse. Like HBJ I'm amazed at how many things from the books my brain have forgotten since the last time - although it's been a while.

*edit:
and to SandChigger, I prefer Jack Russells over pugs anyday ;-)
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Really? The only Jack I know is Daniels. ;)
trang

Post by trang »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Still reading Dune; about halfway through.

Dismayed at how much of my memory of this book is actually of the Lynch movie, not the book. :(

HBJ
Doesnt that show the strength the visuals of the movie? Yea the story was put in a paint shaker and came out black and blue, but he did get elements right that stamps the cortex pretty hard.

The Series on Sci-Fi didnt do that for the most part, Paul was forgettable (laughable actually), Actors playing Chani (smoking F'n Hot) LETO II, Alia (SMoking Hot), and the Baron got me. The movie scenes not very much at all. The COD music did pretty good.

Reading, my brain defaults to lynch everytime.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Futar

Post by Futar »

Finished off the Ender quartet a bit ago and now i have switched tracks over to Romance of the Three Kingdoms
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I just finished some Card too, Treason. It was really good, more of a Fantasy novel than SF, but I can live with that.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

reading "the road" by Cormac McCarthy at the moment - when I finish (most likely tonight, I'll start reading "outerdark" (same author). I've just ordered Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane - I'll read that after I finish "outerdark".
Last edited by nampigai on 16 Feb 2010 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Just started A Canticle for Leibowitz already on page 72. After watching The Book of Eli I find this very apropos.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Apjak wrote:Just started A Canticle for Leibowitz already on page 72. After watching The Book of Eli I find this very apropos.
Definitely - sodding excellent book. :)

Re- reading Day of the Triffids atm.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Got a few in progress:

* Heretics of Dune (about half-way through)
* Hens' Teeth and Horses' Toes by Stephen Jay Gould (almost done)
* The first Chung Kuo book by David Wingrove (just a few pages in)

First is a reread (obviously), others are first time through.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Started To Your Scattered Bodies Go last night. I rarely remember my dreams, but I was sick last night and slept very lightly, and dreamed about that story all night long.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Farmer's Riverworld series, eh? Those were fun. (Or at least I remember them fondly.) :)

How many of those did he eventually write? I read three or four back before I came over here, when I still belonged to the SFBC.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Five, I think. They are on my gravity-inducing to-read pile.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Omphalos wrote:Started To Your Scattered Bodies Go last night. I rarely remember my dreams, but I was sick last night and slept very lightly, and dreamed about that story all night long.

Oh, I enjoyed that book. It's been a long time since I read it, Spiff showed it to me shortyly after we were married. Still have around here on one of these bookselves...somewhere.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Decameron, Second Day, the Eight Novell
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

well it is not original but I am reading Dune :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Dune? Na, do waste your time on that crap. :mad: :lol:

I'm just kicking back with Alistair Reynolds The Prefect.
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:Farmer's Riverworld series, eh? Those were fun. (Or at least I remember them fondly.) :)

How many of those did he eventually write? I read three or four back before I came over here, when I still belonged to the SFBC.
not sure but I know I read them all!
did spread a little thin to the end but what the heck, they had lsd chewing gums!
inhuien wrote:Dune? Na, do waste your time on that crap. :mad: :lol:
[/i]
too late I've been hooked for over 20 years now!
:)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I've discovered I'll never read all the books I want to before I die.

I was at the bookstore yesterday and saw four new books that I really want to read:

Black Hills by Dan Simmons
Horns by Joe Hill
Blackout by Connie Willis
A Dark Matter by Peter Straub.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

NEW Simmons and Straub?

Aaaaaagh!

Damn you and your hunch! :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Black Hills by Dan Simmons
I just got back from the bookstore; picked up Drood in trade paper. I've had that one on my list for a while.

I also grabbed the weird assortment of TheKJA books they had (Terra Incoherent, the Slan thing that's universally reviled, one old Beeson collaboration, and something else so utterly mediocre that it's already slipped my mind), walked six steps to the right, and hid them all behind some erotica. Man, I crack myself up. I really do.

(Hi, Brian the Pest! :greetings-waveyellow: I know that sort of thing makes you insane with anger, so be sure to log on and tell me I'm "childish." I do so miss your "contributions" here).

Before that, though, I turned to a random chapter in the middle of Terra Incoherent. I landed right on one of Kevvie's famous "sea battle" scenes — the sort of thing he's always Twatting about — and it was breath-takingly awful. Yes, I hate Kevin J. Anderson ... yes, I'm pre-disposed to dislike his alleged "writing" ... but, seriously, this was just jaw-droppingly poor. A child could have written it: "This happened, then this happened, then this happened." The monster wasn't frightening, the characters were cardboard cut-outs that you could tell Anderson himself didn't care about, the "action" was pedestrian, the language used was somewhere near the seventh-grade level. I'm just mystified that people will actually spend money to buy crap of this level.

+++++

Kevin, since I know you eventually get around to reading every word here, I've just got to tell you: you suck. I mean that sincerely. You are just an awful, awful writer. The fact that you are published is a shining testament to the American obsession with mediocrity.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Aaaaaaagh! :angry-screaming:

And damn YOU pink and purple! (I'd forgotten about Drood, haven't read it yet.)

:P

SCARED me a bit there, Dukester, with that "grabbed the weird assortment of TheKJA books they had"! Was afraid you'd fallen headfirst into the Dark Side.

Whew! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

No, all is well. The books didn't even burn my hand!

(Way looking forward to Drood ... I'll be starting in about five minutes. Woot!)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Chig: yeah, I know. I still have The Terror on my to-read list, too.
SandChigger wrote:SCARED me a bit there, Dukester, with that "grabbed the weird assortment of TheKJA books they had"! Was afraid you'd fallen headfirst into the Dark Side.
Yeah, likewise. I thought someone must have hacked your account or something :).

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks