Why so late?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Why so late?

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:I've heard that even US Army Scouts (my former job) today primarily use GPS.

POSERS!

Back in my day :waves cane: we use a map, compass and protractor.
Compass? You hi-tech maniac, a real man does it by the sun and the stars, and the side of trees that moss is growing on!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I've heard that even US Army Scouts (my former job) today primarily use GPS.

POSERS!

Compass? You hi-tech maniac, a real man does it by the sun and the stars,
What if it's raining?
and the side of trees that moss is growing on!
That would be all sides.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:

POSERS!

Compass? You hi-tech maniac, a real man does it by the sun and the stars,
What if it's raining?
Then you guess damnit, like a man!
and the side of trees that moss is growing on!
That would be all sides.
Narr, she grows thickest on the north side she does, yarr.
Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 09 Oct 2009 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances
will true nature be seen. (The Amtal Rule) Do not depend only on theory if your
life is at stake.
(Bene Gesserit Commentary)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

POSERS!

Scouts out!

I had no idea scouts are using GPS. In my day, as I wave my termite infested cane, we tested a GPS system that must have weighed about 8 pounds and barely worked. Of course there were probably half the satellites in the sky, but still I would never have trusted my life to it.

And try navigating with the sun in South American triple canopy jungle, A thing of Eternity.
A Thing of Eternity

For the record, since I seem to have been missread, I was kidding. :roll:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Idahopotato wrote:Wow. And I thought I knew a lot about Dune. That was amazing. That was a very good analysis. Also, due to the vastness of the empire and the amount of time since then, and the fact that there was a transition from computers to non computers, much of the history of the BJ would have been lost. It most likely would not have even been called that at the time, as most wars are usually named or renamed well after the fact by historians.
:oops:

Just remember to tease the fact from the deduction from the pure speculation. (Especially the dogmatic stuff based on personal preferences, in the last case. ;) )

Yeah, any information not transferred to unobjectionable media would have been lost when the computers went. (Then again, I can see some overzealous mujahideen burning books, too.) Of course, the Duniverse still had a "Memories 'R' Us" establishment in the Bene Gesserit with their Other Memory (and secret computers). But they were rather stingy doling it out. :)
Serkanner wrote:Wow, you perfectly described the world I grew up in. Now I feel old ... :cry:
And you're younger than me... :cry:
Idahopotato wrote:And try navigating with the sun in South American triple canopy jungle, A thing of Eternity.
"We call that one ... simply Thang," Stilgar said. :P
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Idahopotato wrote:Scouts out!
HUAH!

Were you in the Army? MOS?
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:For the record, since I seem to have been missread, I was kidding. :roll:
For the record, I knew that. :P
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:And try navigating with the sun in South American triple canopy jungle, A thing of Eternity.
"We call that one ... simply Thang," Stilgar said. :P
Yarr, I also be called AToE from time to time, and some people find the Arabic translation of A Thing of Eternity to be a nice thing to call me as well. (you get bonus points if you know what that translation is)
Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:For the record, since I seem to have been missread, I was kidding. :roll:
For the record, I knew that. :P
I wasn't totally sure, but I figured. :)
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Freakzilla wrote:
HUAH!

I was. Army Rangers, 1st batallion
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Idahopotato wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
HUAH!

Rangers lead the way!

Someone dare him to eat a bug!

:P Just kidding.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Someone dare him to eat a bug!
Watch it. :evil:

:P
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Freakzilla wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
HUAH!

Rangers lead the way!

Someone dare him to eat a bug!

:P Just kidding.
All the way!

And I haven't had to eat bugs, rodents or even small dogs in about 15 years. Not saying I can't, but with all the tasty food out there these days, I think I can refrain from eating bugs. Unless of course on a lazy Sunday, a spider happens to cross my path before the pizza delivery guy shows up.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm sure it's nice to know you can, if you need to. :lol:
~Pink Snowman
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

You would be surprised what a person can do if the situation depends upon it. Enjoying it is a completely different matter. For example, I can masturbate just fine with my left hand, but I much prefer my right
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Idahopotato wrote:You would be surprised what a person can do if the situation depends upon it.
The Army will definately test your limits in a combat arms MOS.
Enjoying it is a completely different matter. For example, I can masturbate just fine with my left hand, but I much prefer my right
I like to use my left now and again and pretend it's a first date. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:You would be surprised what a person can do if the situation depends upon it.
Enjoying it is a completely different matter. For example, I can masturbate just fine with my left hand, but I much prefer my right
wouldn't that be a case of not on the first night?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Freakzilla wrote:
At times I like to sit on my hand until it falls asleep. I call that move "the stranger". The only problem is that you have to be very fast or else your hand wakes up and ruins the fantasy.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

feels good man
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Lionel Horsepackage

Re:

Post by Lionel Horsepackage »

Freakzilla wrote:I think it was probably crucial in early space exploration. I partially blame the stagnation of the Old Empire on that... and my parents.
I tend to consider certain of Frank Herbert's non-Dune (and non-"ConSentiency) works to perhaps take place in the very earliest days of humanity's space explorations in the Dune universe -- among these the Destination: Void books, The Godmakers, etc.

Destination: Void SPOILERS!

As far as the Destination: Void books go, there is the idea of machine-consciousness in both series. In the D:V universe, Ship becomes a god-figure, but tries to take care of the humans and allows them to evolve and persevere through the harsh environment of their planet. And Ship eventually -- when the humans prove themselves worthy and discover how to "worShip" -- takes off into the Void at the end of The Jesus Incident, and lets the humans be. A "tough love" machine ruler, as opposed to oppressive men with machines, as suggested in Dune.

There are also several other very recognizable elements from the Dune universe in Destination: Void, from the philosophical (the machine-consciousness debate mentioned above), to the physical (axlotl tanks are used to grow clones/ghola-precursors). The books are positively awash in Dune references.

Raja Lon Flattery's intense misgivings on the entire A.I.-project alone seem to point to the eventual mindset that will fuel the Butlerian Jihad in later centuries, and there are also the first steps taken on what could be the road to proto-Mentats in the novels. That all said, I don't rate the Brian Herbert/KJA version of the Jihad, however...it's the Willis McNelly/Dune Encyclopedia version for me.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Please let people know if you are going to post spoilers.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Seen this suggested before, chronology simply does not work. Different universes, get over it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've always felt FH's "other novels" were proving grounds for ideas he might use in the Dune series but as Sandchigger says, they don't quite fit.
~Pink Snowman
Lionel Horsepackage

Post by Lionel Horsepackage »

Not quite an ill fit -- the entire "Pandora" series takes place in almost complete sociopolitical isolation from the rest of the surrounding universe that encompasses it (mostly either on the planet itself, or within the confines of the Ship), and one could very easily make the case that the series could, indeed, exist somewhere in the murky "early period" of Herbert's own Dune universe.

In fact, over the years, there've been a number of fandom-produced timelines (both in print fanzines, and on the Internet) that have shown rather well that it is quite possible to connect the Dune and Pandora series, since there isn't a specific, locked-down timeframe/year mentioned in the latter series of books, IIRC.

This series, Dune, and The Dosadi Experiment all have very similar concepts and themes -- all unique and all brilliant, but after Destination: Void, the Pandora series does take on easy Dune or Dosadi comparisons, in that the idea of greatness achieved only through hardship is central to each. Comfort = weakness, struggle = evolution, plus the myriad of social, psychological, and religious insights present in each series.