Question about the Preborn

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

inhuien wrote:
Serkanner wrote:I have just read Crys' theory and I do buy it. It is a plausible theory and there are ( as far as I know ) no direct hints that undermine this theory.

I have always thought that Paul indeed decided to let Chani die to prevent her from worse. That he decided to let Irulan give the contraceptive because as long as Chani wasn't pregnant she would not be killed.

Paul prolonged her life this way until Chani found out about the contraceptive herself and switched to the Fremen diet. This decision was her death warrent and Paul knew he couldn't stop it.
Yes, Yes and Yes. However Paul could have stopped it at any point it's just that for the greater good of humanity and and himself he did not. Instead he ran of into the Bled and let his offspring assume the Golden Patth and the Sandtrout skin.
I agree. I phrased "knew he couldn't stop it" incorrect. I meant to say he had "better" reasons to let her die then "save" her.

I remember, back in the days of DoD, that this same dilemma was used during a debate/discussion whether Paul was a coward or a hero. Might be interesting to see how the members feel about this here.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I don't believe he was a coward, the cowardly thing to do would have been to make every effort to save her (and his feelings) and to hell with the consequences.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, he did decide to dupe the Fremen into the Jihad and kill dozens of billions of non-believers instead of just surrendering to the Harkonnens.

Maybe cowardly isn't the right adjective...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

SandChigger wrote:Do I hear three-quarters? Three-quarters! Going once-uh...going twice-uh...SOLD!

:shock:
its less than 3 quarters..its less than half actually ...cause liet is half fremen... and chani is around 3/4 fremen ...not ghani ....ghani is less than 50%
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
orald

Post by orald »

It's not Chig's fault the only math he's good at is crystal. :wink:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

D'uh.

Sorry, I forgot a little wrinkle (gnarl?) in the old family tree. :oops:

(Orald: Hycka hyucka hyucka. :roll: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"