Thank goodness..

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Drew_Atreides

Thank goodness..

Post by Drew_Atreides »

..so I posted in the Wind of Dunes-non event thread, and it was suggested I introduce myself here..

I first encountered the evil of KJA when i was a freshmen in high school.... A little book called "Jedi Academy: Jedi Search"..At the time the concept of expanding the Star Wars universe was still fairly fresh and new to pretty much everyone i think.. I was a Star Wars nerd and relished at the idea of seeing more adventures from the characters i'd grown up with in the films...

Even then, as a relative teenage goofball with no modicum of taste i could tell that there was something amiss with this KJA guy...I couldn't put my finger on it at the time (i suppose it was my sense of enjoyment for anything above a 4th grade level starting to materialize?) but even i could recognize the lack of talent in this dope... I was a glutton for punishment, though, and i actually wound up reading 4 of his Star Wars books before finally walking away from them (to be fair, it wasn't just KJA that stank.. I can now admit that the SW books in general were terrible. However i'm pretty sure there's a special place in hell reserved for KJA and what he wrought.)

In my senior year of high school, i discovered "Dune"... (actually, when i was in grade 6 i tried starting DUNE, but it was obviously WAY over my head at that point..) .. Could not believe a story of such richness and depth existed.. At the time it was the greatest literary experience of my life.. It still is, really, with only 2 books approaching that level..

Of course I devoured the entire series, and like many was left saddened by the seemingly cliffhanger-type ending of "Chapterhouse" but still felt that, in a way, that was the best way for the books to end..

Then....i got wind that there was potentially a Dune revival set to occur...Some notes from Frank's vault outlining his plans for where the storyline was headed!This was incredible news to me!

Then.....the next announcement.. That Kevin JackRabbit Anderson would be involved...I have to admit that from the word go my expectations were low on this..The man who had made me hate STAR WARS was now going to try to tackle DUNE???

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially seeing that he was co-writing with Frank's Son..I tried to go in with an open mind...

And you know what? "House Atreides" was not bad... I had a slight issue with Duncan's origin tale, but otherwise it was a page-turner...

"House Harkonnenen" was where you could tell that any notes used from Frank had obviously run out... The absolute high point had to be how the dynamic duo managed to completely confuse the origins of Gurney and Duncan.. Did these guys even read the books? KJA and BH concocted a pile of steaming vile that was worse then even i could have imagined..

From there it was a downward spiral terrible technical writing prowess mixed with ludicrous plotlines and outright contradictions of established continuity...

I tried to stick it out thru all the Spice Coffee drinking of House Corrino, through the standard cliches of the Buterlian Jihad, telling myself "But it'll be worth it cause you'll get to see where he was going with CHAPTERHOUSE!" Could i have been more wrong?

After the conclusion of "Dune 7" i swore to never give these 2 clowns another cent of my cash..

I did read PoD, but it was loaned from the library, and that's how i plan to read any future contributions from these guys.

I kept struggling to find others who felt this way.. "Surely they're out there? Surely i'm not the only one?" However i never had much luck.....

Until now.

It's wonderful to find a board where the shills of the production company don't post 5 star review after 5 star review for this dreck.

Great to meet you all :)
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Re: Thank goodness..

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Hey. I first read Dune in sixth grade. I am now a sophmore in high school and constantly find new bits and pieces I missed with each reread of the series.

And also, I made Kevin J Anderson my bitch over email. O-O
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome... again.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome and hope you like it here. Hope to get to know you better as time goes by.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Drew_Atreides wrote:... Kevin JackRabbit Anderson ...
*snort* :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)

(I first read Dune in Year 7 (=6th Grade) but I was a year ahead in school at that point (ie: youngest kid in the class). Didn't "get" it or continue the series until a few years later, but still enjoyed it quite a lot.)

JackRabbit? That's very... polite of you :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

hi
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan fi sietchinaa! :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi Drew_Atreides :)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

First round is on the new guy. :)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Welcome, twice welcome! :D
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Nice to meet you, Drew.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Welcome, make yourself at sietch...?
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Apjak wrote:Welcome, make yourself at sietch...?
I think "in sietch" would sound better.

Loosen your stillsuit, grab a cushion and enjoys some spice coffee. :)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome home
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."