"Sand in my Shoes" Interview

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

fantomas wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote: Not a fucking one, I can just about guarantee it.

Tell ya what, if Pinky and the Brain decide to go back and change things in the later editions to correct most of the inconsistencies, I might actually have a little more respect for them.... (Fat fucking chance).
Got It.
I don't have a strong opinion about this or anything :P
orald

Post by orald »

Tleilax Master B wrote:I don't have a strong opinion about this or anything :P
That's not a strong opinion. A strong opinion would be to go to their house and shoot them in the head. Several times. Just to make sure.

:wink:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:I think this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJXkpWnxMiw
I'll watch it but will turn off the sound.

EDIT:

DAMN!!! I can not even watch those two without feeling sick.

But it is true that the interviewer ( Angela Gygi ) is hot.
Last edited by Serkanner on 14 Mar 2008 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tleilax Master B

orald wrote:Tyrant was a Prequalite?! :shock:

Burn! They must all burn in the name of chr...err, Muad'Dib! :evil:
He was; and at the risk of getting him pissed off he was a rather obnoxious one (Sorry Ty; we're all good now though, right? :D ). He was TAZ's right hand man there for awhile.

But it just goes to show you, they CAN be reformed :wink:
orald

Post by orald »

Tleilax Master B wrote:But it just goes to show you, they CAN be reformed
Funny, I'm of the opinion that it's better to kill them than invest in their rehabilitation. :twisted:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One in the head, then one in the heart. And then ya runs over the head with a suburban.

Yes...I just saw the last Sopranos episode tonight. :mrgreen:

I don't think people will be laughing about the new books 50 years from now. Because no one will even remember them then, other than a few scifi historians. Maybe.

Footnotes if lucky. Exemplars of how NOT to write.

Who remembers shit once flushed?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Unfortunately I think that they will remain with us, carried along by the momentum of the good books. IOW, there will always be a throng of pre-pubescent morons with extremly low thresholds for crap who will come across the good six books, then want to "collect them all!" and will go out and buy the new crud. Hopefully DN will still be there so they will have time to pull their heads out of their asses before they come over here.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:Hopefully DN will still be there so they will have time to pull their heads out of their asses before they come over here.
Let them come. There is one Dunehead yet in teh internetz who still draws breath! :x

*Cookie for the original quote*

Tleilax Master B

orald wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Hopefully DN will still be there so they will have time to pull their heads out of their asses before they come over here.
Let them come. There is one Dunehead yet in teh internetz who still draws breath! :x

*Cookie for the original quote*
"There is one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath!" :wink:

(Give me my goddam cookie! :evil: )
orald

Post by orald »

No cookie for you today! :evil:

*Here's your damn cookie, 'twas my last and now I'm all hungry :cry: *

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:Unfortunately I think that they will remain with us, carried along by the momentum of the good books. IOW, there will always be a throng of pre-pubescent morons with extremly low thresholds for crap who will come across the good six books, then want to "collect them all!" and will go out and buy the new crud. Hopefully DN will still be there so they will have time to pull their heads out of their asses before they come over here.
Are we talking 50 years down the line?

I guess they might be available for the curious through on-demand printing, but I can't imagine any publisher, even major dairy house TOR, keeping them in the stores...assuming there will still be big bookstores.

More likely you'll download books from the Web to the Kindle in yer head. Who's gonna want shit inside their skull? ;)
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Who's gonna want shit inside their skull? ;)
Trekkies? :twisted:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald wrote:Trekkies? :twisted:
I hear they love Kevin dearly as well. :D
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Im telling you. Star Wars, Episodes I-III and the Dune travesties will still with us for some time.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Omphalos wrote:Im telling you. Star Wars, Episodes I-III and the Dune travesties will still with us for some time.
ok..now you've gone too far ..... only old people and lamo fan boys dont like episodes 1 - 3 ..... 3 is thebest in the whole saga (besides vaders "NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!....but thats why god invented the mute button)
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
orald

Post by orald »

I'm neither old nor a fanboy. In fact, my familierity with the SW universe is based on just a few viewings, and while it's fun and all for a couple of hours, it's nothing all that great.

Having said that, watching the originals is fun for a couple of hours.
Watching ep. 1-3 is made agony by the sheer dumbness of "wow, we got SFX, we don't need no stinking acting\plot\characters whom you don't want to smother in their sleep".

But having heard the truth about you I'm not surprised.
Given the fact you were(or still are? you'll always be suspect) an admitted Prequelite...well, I just can't trust no Prequelite, mister. :x

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: "Sand in my Shoes" Interview

Post by SandRider »

Tleilax Master B wrote:Sand in my Shoes Interview:

Frank Herbert's Dune universe is currently expanding under the careful eye of Herbert's son Brian. Working with fellow author Kevin J. Anderson, they've both been exploring the early worlds of Dune -- first in their Prelude series and now in their Legends of Dune series, starting with The Butlerian Jihad, and currently in their latest release The Machine Crusade. Writing in an existing universe requires a detailed knowledge of the underlying topography to avoid mistakes and Herbert and Anderson understand this fully.
"With The Legends of Dune, we were constrained by the appendix of Dune," Herbert said. "Frank Herbert laid out in general what had occurred in The Butlerian Jihad -- how there was a human child killed by a Thinking Machine; how this provoked an outpouring of emotion; and the humans rose up to defeat their Thinking Machine masters."

The Holy War started by this event is the driving force of the plot through out the Legends of Dune series and the authors have successfully captured the overall Dune atmosphere.
Herbert said, "I did a huge concordance of the six Dune books, so I know all the references to the Butlerian Jihad and what page number they're on, so we included all that information too. I'd also spent five years writing Dad's biography, Dreamer of Dune -- rereading everything he wrote and putting it together with the things he said to me. I hear his voice as I write in his marvelous universe now. And Kevin was inspired by Frank Herbert too and although they never met, Kevin still knows him as far as is possible."

Herbert and Anderson share a comfortable writing partnership and they spend many hours brainstorming plot and characters for each book.
"Sometimes we have a story idea and have to create a character to fit the actions," said Anderson. "Other times we have a vivid character who naturally goes in certain directions. We talk out the books in detail and when we divide the chapters, we can usually determine which of us is best suited to write a character or scene. For example, with The Machine Crusade, I fell in love with Selim Wormrider and therefore wrote the first draft of most of those chapters; Brian was particularly fond of Norma Cenva, the scientist, so he took that storyline. But by the time we're done, we've each gone over each other's chapters so many times we own them all jointly."
Herbert continued, "I usually write the first draft of the Erasmus character. Kevin came up with a character -- a Thinking Machine who was researching what it was like to be human -- and I said let's add (the Nazi medical researcher) Dr Mengele to him and make him really dark and strange. Then Kevin laughed and said, 'Boy Brian, I don't know if I can write that, you'd better do it!' He wasn't saying that couldn't write it -- it was just a little dig that only my twisted mind could write that character. So we have a lot of fun. We riff off each other, like a musical performance."

Their next book will be the long awaited Dune 7 story, following on from ChapterHouse: Dune.
Herbert said, "We've been brainstorming this one during our Machine Crusade tour. For example, I was talking with Kevin in front of a large audience one night and I suddenly had an epiphany, an idea I thought should be in Dune 7. So I bounced it off Kevin right there in front of the audience and we did some brainstorming. The idea was that even though Frank Herbert referred to the destruction of Dune in Heretics and ChapterHouse, it was never written. So I said to Kevin: why don't we open the first of the Dune 7 books with a dramatic destruction of Dune scene? We started kicking it around and we now agree that it is a good place to start."

Herbert is keeping some of the Dune 7 details quiet though.
"We found some of Dad's notes in a safe deposit box that had been locked for eleven years and we've been using them for Dune 7," he said. "We have an advantage over other science fiction series because we can always bring a character back from the dead, as a ghola, because the Tlulaxa can breed human beings out of dead cells."

So who will be back from the dead in Dune 7?
"Oh that's a closely guarded secret, you'll have to wait and see!"

bumping for more greater justice ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008