Who did they build the nav machine for

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Who did they build the nav machine for

Post by SwordMaster »

What point in the timeline was the auto navigator machine created?

why did they build it >> ?

who did they build it for >> ?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I feel really rusty on this, but wasn't it mentioned in CoD? Or maybe I'm just loosing it and it wasn't mentioned until GEoD...
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I feel really rusty on this, but wasn't it mentioned in CoD? Or maybe I'm just loosing it and it wasn't mentioned until GEoD...
It was GEoD. They built it... to see if they could. Because with the extreme scarcity of the spice Guild shipping was so expensive that they needed to find a way to replace Guild Navigators.
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It was late in Leto's reign and yes, it was invented in the no-chamber where Hwi was born.

When RM Anteac lead the Fish Speaker attack on IX, the people and technology were scattered and this was the true begining of The Scattering.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:It was late in Leto's reign and yes, it was invented in the no-chamber where Hwi was born.

When RM Anteac lead the Fish Speaker attack on IX, the people and technology were scattered and this was the true begining of The Scattering.
Interesting point about the true beginning. Safe to say thenby HoD navigators were fairly redundant then?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It was late in Leto's reign and yes, it was invented in the no-chamber where Hwi was born.

Interesting point about the true beginning. Safe to say thenby HoD navigators were fairly redundant then?
No, flipping the switch in the Hieghliner cockpit was not all Guild Navigators were good for. The SG never fully trusted the INM either, even in ships with the INM they still had a navigator present. The Guild practiced business as usually, but a lot of their covert sales were lost to the no-ship.

In the post-Tyrant Old Empire, if you wanted garanteed safe passage your only choice was the SG. If you had dirty work to do, no-ship.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

No, flipping the switch in the Hieghliner cockpit was not all Guild Navigators were good for. The SG never fully trusted the INM either, even in ships with the INM they still had a navigator present. The Guild practiced business as usually, but a lot of their covert sales were lost to the no-ship.

In the post-Tyrant Old Empire, if you wanted garanteed safe passage your only choice was the SG. If you had dirty work to do, no-ship.
I was thinking with the Siona gene spread their "other" powers were less valuble anc clearly those from the scattering did not need Navigators anymore. I think the SG lost its hold on space travel after this invention. There is little mention of them in CHoD that I can recall... What else were they useful for?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

I was thinking with the Siona gene spread their "other" powers were less valuble anc clearly those from the scattering did not need Navigators anymore. I think the SG lost its hold on space travel after this invention. There is little mention of them in CHoD that I can recall... What else were they useful for?
Searching for Duncan Idaho, for one. Providing neutral meeting places (Waff and the Honored Matres), and of course secure banking, communications and shipping.

They are still a powerfull faction in the Old Empire, they just lost their monopoly. The SG remains the "safe" transportation.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

Searching for Duncan Idaho, for one. Providing neutral meeting places (Waff and the Honored Matres), and of course secure banking, communications and shipping.

They are still a powerfull faction in the Old Empire, they just lost their monopoly. The SG remains the "safe" transportation.
But the HM used no-ships? Safe to say most of the people of the scattering were transport based in no-ships?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

But the HM used no-ships? Safe to say most of the people of the scattering were transport based in no-ships?
I was talking about the "Old Empire", the core from which the scattering spread, where all the books are set.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

I was talking about the "Old Empire", the core from which the scattering spread, where all the books are set.
I don't have anything to add to this discussion,
I just wanted to contribute to the raising of another quote-ziggurat ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

I don't have anything to add to this discussion,
I just wanted to contribute to the raising of another quote-ziggurat ...
:roll:
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

Ok. The HM were fully No-Ship based though correct?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

Ok. The HM were fully No-Ship based though correct?
Correct. The Guild did not expand with The Scattering AFAIK.
~Pink Snowman
semuta

Re: Who did they build the nav machine for

Post by semuta »

A part of LetoII's legacy was to create people invisible to prescience.
Before Paul's time, the Navigators were prescient.
After the Tyrant their abilities are concentrated more upon fold~space than on social observation, primarily because they could not see most people. They could still see Idaho ghola though which is why he vanishes into the No~Ship on Chapterhouse.
Don't forget that the Guild also 'accidentally' (?) crash a Highliner into Chapterhouse.
That's how I wrote the novel, wanting you to participate with the best of your own imagination. I did not aim for the lowest common denominator and 'write down" to anyone. You and I have a compact and my responsibility is to entertain you as richly as possible, always giving you as much extra as I can. I assume you are intelligent and will enlist your own imagination. You'll see that when you read the Dune excerpt and the other stories in this collection.
FH, Intro to Eye
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

semuta wrote:A part of LetoII's legacy was to create people invisible to prescience.
True. It's one initial leg of the Golden Path.
Before Paul's time, the Navigators were prescient.
True. And they were prescient after him as well.
After the Tyrant their abilities are concentrated more upon fold~space than on social observation, primarily because they could not see most people.
Their essentially linear abilities were always more concentrated on navigation. And it took time for the Siona Gene to be transmitted through the population.
They could still see Idaho ghola though which is why he vanishes into the No~Ship on Chapterhouse.
Which is why the BG kept him on the no-ship, true.
Don't forget that the Guild also 'accidentally' (?) crash a Highliner into Chapterhouse.
Mmm ... refresh my memory on this one? :)
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

I think that the Ixians were some of the most driven by Leto's golden path.

Remember, part of what he wanted to do was challenge people to think in new and creative ways, always looking outwards.
It was precisely the break from tradition the golden path needed. Leto caused it by decimating spice supply.

I think it was built primarily FOR the ixians themselves. Navigators colluded. But if i remember rightly there were several technologies the ixians were trying to develop (borrowing tleilaxu techniques for hwi and malky, for one) and that they were all somehow related.... Prescience bestows immunity to prescience, and at/around the same time, the ixians develop both artificial prescience... and artificial immunity to prescience chambers? Coincidence?!?

Had the ixians managed to develop these two AND leto had put off dying for a few more years, then there would have been a SERIOUS shift of power. Leto's rule was maintained in part by having the guild submissive. Without any need for spice one the technology had developed, the ixians could transport things without running it by leto/the guild first.

Combine this with the immunity to prescience, it would have meant things could now exist in the universe beyond the god emperors reach.... forgetting of course that he KNEW about the hwi Chamber anyway, and didnt interfere because that was kind of the point..... he WANTED technologies which removed the prescient grasp on humanity.

So yeah, i think they built it for themselves. Partly as a test of the god emperors real powers, partly as an attempt to topple him, and partly to gain power amongst third parties, who would pay dearly to be beyond the GE's vision (the BG? Tleilaxu? etc)
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Quote:

Mmm ... refresh my memory on this one?
Isn't that from KJA's books? You sure about Chapterhouse?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Rakis wrote:
Quote:

NEVER did a heighliner crash in one of FH's books.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
Rakis wrote:
Quote:

NEVER did a heighliner crash in one of FH's books.
I thought so :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think that the DE has legends of lost heighliners.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks for confirming that, Freak.

And Chapterhouse Planet was NOT Wallach IX. Sheesh. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think Wallach IX was destroyed by Honord Matres in either HoD or CH:D. Either Tarazza or Odrade lists the BG planets they've lost...

The Guild's safety record was one of it's selling points, heighliners didn't crash.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

House Corrino, page 323 of the US PB edition.

I Googled it. Have no recollection of the actual plot of this book.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

Freakzilla wrote:I think Wallach IX was destroyed by Honord Matres in either HoD or CH:D. Either Tarazza or Odrade lists the BG planets they've lost...

The Guild's safety record was one of it's selling points, heighliners didn't crash.
It's hard to crash if you always remain beyond the effective gravity well of a planet.

Even more so if you have a prescient driver to watch for meteors etc.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!