Duke Nukem Never

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Hunchback Jack

Duke Nukem Never

Post by Hunchback Jack »

This is old news, but I just read it today.

That most mythical, most rumoured, most whispered-of computer game, Duke Nukem Forever, is no more.

You may have thought that 3D Realms had long abandoned the game, given that they started developing it over 12 years ago. But they have been working on it more or less continuously, releasing the occasional screenshot or video clip to keep Duke fans interested.

Until now, that is. On May 8, 3D Realms laid off the entire DNF development team. There's no word on whether we'll see the game finished, or any part of it released.

HBJ
chanilover

Re: Duke Nukem Never

Post by chanilover »

Oh well.

Does this mean there's an official day of mourning over on that gamers' site where Hyppo lives?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum! :tissue2:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Never understood the long-term appeal of the Duke Nukem games beyond kitsch and shock value. The Duke Nukem series was like Carmaggedeon, Dead or Alive and Postal. You played these games for about an hour, until the novelty wore off, after which you dumped them for better games with some actual gameplay and substance. You certainly didn't wait for these kind of games on their way to vaporware. IMO, if ever there was a game tailor made to be pirated, it was Duke Nukem.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The best part about it was blowing away the strippers. :twisted:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Duke 3D wasn't revolutionary compared to other FPS games at the time, but I think it was *better* than most. It took the same idea as Doom or Doom II, but just made it a bit better in every way.

The graphics were better (higher resolution, better lighting effects, etc), and performance was generally better. The weapons were cooler and more interesting. The mini-puzzles you needed to solve to get through levels were just that bit more innovative. And the main character wasn't a nameless, faceless, silent protagonist, but had a personality. A cocky, obnoxious misanthropic personality, to be sure, but that suited the game perfectly.

Some of the appeal was the shock value and un-PC elements, it's true, but even when that novelty wore off, it remained a best-of-class FPS for the time.

HBJ
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:The best part about it was blowing away the strippers. :twisted:
Hell Yeah !! :)

And those cocoons thingy...
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I have, like, Duke Nukem 1. Was there more? :?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

You mean this parallax piece of shite?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

inhuien wrote:You mean this parallax piece of shite?
No. The graphics were far more pixelly. Like a NES.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Ahhh 8bit joys. :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

My favorite was Commander Keen

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I prefer older computer games. My favorites are DOOM, Sky Roads, Solar Winds, and Wolfenstein 3D. I also have a few other old stuff with companies now defunct, such as a "Jane of the Jungle." Fun stuff. :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Redstar wrote:I prefer older computer games. My favorites are DOOM, Sky Roads, Solar Winds, and Wolfenstein 3D. I also have a few other old stuff with companies now defunct, such as a "Jane of the Jungle." Fun stuff. :)
Jill of the Jungle?

That was the first game I ever completed :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Redstar wrote:I prefer older computer games. My favorites are DOOM, Sky Roads, Solar Winds, and Wolfenstein 3D. I also have a few other old stuff with companies now defunct, such as a "Jane of the Jungle." Fun stuff. :)
Jill of the Jungle?

That was the first game I ever completed :)
Yep. That was it... I have a lot of old games on floppies I made sure no one threw out.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Just remembered! Anyone enjoy the King's Quest series by Sierra?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, Duke Nukem Forever is back. Seems like another software company ("Gearbox software") picked up the pieces are are shipping it next year.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Just find that out? Almost a month's old news. I was pretty surprised myself, though all the follow-up stories certainly made it worth it. (Someone apparently pre-ordered back in '01 or so and still had their receipt... Think GameStop would accept it? :lol:)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Found it out about a month ago :).

Just slow to post it here. I'd forgotten about this thread.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.