Jessica of Dune page now up on Amazon

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re:

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:I want him to SHUT THE FUCK UP about that damned "corrupt empire". Shaddam's empire wasn't any more or less corrupt than any other (including Paul's) at least as the Canon books show us.
Let's see... Shaddam had the Guild, Sisterhood, CHOAM and the Landsraad checking him. Who balanced Paul's power?

*cricket chirps*
<tumbleweed>
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Re: Jessica of Dune page now up on Amazon

Post by SadisticCynic »

Um.. anyone notice one calls it the sequel to Dune and the other the sequel to Dune Messiah? :doh:

(If I missed this earlier, my apologies).
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:Um.. anyone notice one calls it the sequel to Dune and the other the sequel to Dune Messiah? :doh:

:lol: I missed that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Image Image
Sweet Mother! Jessica gots back.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

She's got room to set a drink AND an ashtray on that. :shock:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Why is it people have such a hard time puting hoods on stilsuits?

I guess I should be thankfull she doesn't have a hat on.

:?
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I know we've already joked about Jessica's winds, but this cover art actually supports that smelly notion! :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thar she blows!!! :lol:

B. Conway is evidently feeling petulant:
Unlike you, I won't jump to conclusions, I will seek the facts instead. I know what cover my ARC came with, I know there has been no "official announcement" and I know that the cover has no real bearing on the content of the book.
Me:
Who's jumping to conclusions? We're simply examining the possibilities, looking for an explanation to an unexpected anomaly. (Do you keep your brain turned off all the time now, not just when you're reading KJA?)

Your precious ARC you keep flaunting was sent out over a month ago, no? (Interesting datum, since most ARCs I've seen have had blank covers.) Things can change, no? And there was no advance warning of the title change until its "official announcement", either.

But you're quite right about one thing.

A turd in a pretty wrapper is still crap. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SadisticCynic wrote:Um.. anyone notice one calls it the sequel to Dune and the other the sequel to Dune Messiah?
Yikes, I missed that one. I was recently listing all the differences for my good friend Brian Conway, but I just zipped right past that one.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:Um.. anyone notice one calls it the sequel to Dune and the other the sequel to Dune Messiah? :doh:

Must have been designed by Unca Mike.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:Um.. anyone notice one calls it the sequel to Dune and the other the sequel to Dune Messiah?
Yikes, I missed that one. I was recently listing all the differences for my good friend Brian Conway, but I just zipped right past that one.

hahhaa amazing! they manage to fuck another thing up
After a decade of practice it's probably second nature now. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Sev

Post by Sev »

And the first review is up at B&N - written, as expected, by an idiot - they enjoyed the flashback scenes. Bloody hell, what Imperial planets will they have various cast members journeying to this time :roll:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Image
Sweet Mother! Jessica gots back.
Now that is a nice fat ass!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

B. Conway has showed up in the thread to eat crow:
Looks like the Publisher did decide to make the change. I'm surprised to see them change so close to publication, but apparently there was a lot of positive feedback on the UK cover. I'm sure the book will be well received by MOST people.
God I love to be right when he's wrong.

Right now, it's good to be me. :banana-dance:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:B. Conway has showed up in the thread to eat crow:
Looks like the Publisher did decide to make the change. I'm surprised to see them change so close to publication, but apparently there was a lot of positive feedback on the UK cover. I'm sure the book will be well received by MOST people.

Well, MOST people that read it will be to dumb to know the difference, others are just maniacal in their hatred. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Here's the B&N review Sev mentioned:
A New Dune Book
by Gnomicron [=KJASF Spayshul Pooter Robert Junker on Amazon]

Reader Rating: (4 stars)

June 13, 2009: The Winds of Dune was great book that adds to the tapestry of the Dune Universe.
When Frank Herbert wrote the original (and still classic) series, he left a good many years uncharted during the course of the series. This new set of books (starting with Paul of Dune) does a good job of filling in some unanswered questions. I enjoyed the flashback scenes in this book quite a bit.

Frank Herbert, undeniably a master storyteller, could sometimes be a little dry in his writing. Herbert and Anderson do a good job at making the narrative a little more approachable. The writing was crisp and it flowed well.

Starting from Jessica learning of her son's death and dealing with Alia's learning how to run an Empire, this book moves swiftly from start to finish. There were quite a few parts where I couldn't put this book down.

The least interesting character in this book was Irulan. But then, she never was one of my favorite characters. She's never really felt well-rounded to me. She still doesn't in this book.

All in all, I enjoyed this book (and the previous book in the trilogy) and would highly recommend it to other sci-fi fans.
OK, this moron obviously can't read. Or write all that well, either.

On the drive down to the office this morning I was trying to imagine what flashbacks this thing could possibly contain.

- There's still most of the Fremen Jihad period between PoD and Messiah that was never touched.
- Paul's boyhood when Jessica was teaching him all her wierding ways. I'd put money on there being some of that in there, since they left it out of PoD.
- New incidents during the space of Messiah that FH neglected to tell us about.

Can anyone think of anything else?

Gah! :twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think I might be developing an allergic reaction to Kevin's writing.

I've had that Terror Incognizant book for well over a week now, I think, and I just can't make myself actually start reading it. So I've been fartsing around calculating stats on it and making a purdy synopsis page for the website....

It's just the same ole KJA drone drone drone tell tell tell. There's one scene in the first chapter where he actually puts the droning blah blah blah into the mouth of one of the characters. THAT actually made me think there might be hope, that he might at last have learned something about writing.

But no, it's back to the drone drone drone again soon enough..... :roll:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

So This Asshole wrote:Frank Herbert, undeniably a master storyteller, could sometimes be a little dry in his writing. Herbert and Anderson do a good job at making the narrative a little more approachable. The writing was crisp and it flowed well.

What the fuck ? This is just too stupid to even get mad over.

Robert Junker, huh ? Just another asshole to hate ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:B. Conway has showed up in the thread to eat crow:

Also it looks like he's judging this book by its cover now which he just told everyone not to do.
Last edited by Nekhrun on 17 Jun 2009 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

You gotta luv 'im, he's such a joy-bringer! :D

Oh yeah: KJA Jr. deleted his comment from my PoD review. I'm glad I copied it into my own reply for safeguarding. :laughing:

Gawd, I love amateurs. :D
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Always one step ahead eh? :lol:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I have to quote an excerpt from one of Lundse's replies to the "Irulan Imprisoned?" Amazon discussion:
believe that if you chose to write in another persons universe, you owe that person, that universe and its fans some respect (no, not legally, morally). Rewriting the Butlerian Jihad as a Skynet scenario is disrespectful (or they do not understand the originals). Inventing a(nother?!?!?) first time off-planet for Paul only so they can put some action into the books is disrespectful. Claiming Leto II and everything he dod and stood for was 100% wrong is disrespectful. Inventing a super-ultra-cool new godess-like character who fixes everything in the end, keeping in mind the original novel was, in Frank's words, a warning about the lure of the hero-myth is... bloody hilarious if it were a joke.
Now it is just sad...

If you like the action-romp and the universe, fine. We dislike the disrespect, inattention to detail and general ignoring (or ignorance about?) the originals.
Are the books good action-sci/fi books for teens. Maybe. I could not care less.
Are they good Dune books. No. They are horrible misunderstandings with zero regard for the original characters, themes and even basic plot points.

By writing Dune on the front cover, they are inviting people to judge them on the later merits.

I want to cut and paste that reply to every Amazon discussion, every board, every review in which NoDune fanboys cry plaintively "if you don't like the books, don't read them". It summarizes my feelings about the situation perfectly.

HBJ
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Print many copies of it, then insert them into any nuDune you find. :twisted: