Happy Mothers Day!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Happy Mothers Day!

Post by Freakzilla »

Mother's Day is a holiday that recognizes motherhood in general and the positive contributions of mothers to society. In Canada, Mexico, and the United States, Mother's Day falls on the second Sunday of each May.

Early "Mother's Day" was mostly marked by women's peace groups.[1] A common early activity was the meeting of groups of mothers whose sons had fought or died on opposite sides of the American Civil War. In New York City, Julia Ward Howe led a "Mother's Day" anti-war observance in 1872[1][2], which was accompanied by a Mother's Day Proclamation. The observance continued in Boston for about ten years under Howe's personal sponsorship, then died out.[3]

Several years later, a Mother's Day observance on May 13, 1877 was held in Albion, Michigan, over a dispute related to the temperance movement.[4] the second Sunday of the month. According to local legend, Albion pioneer, Juliet Calhoun Blakeley, stepped up to complete the sermon of the Rev. Myron Daughterty, who was distraught because an anti-temperance group had forced his son and two other temperance advocates to spend the night in a saloon and become publicly drunk. In the pulpit, Blakeley called on other mothers to join her. Blakeley's two sons, both traveling salesmen, were so moved that they vowed to return each year to pay tribute to her and embarked on a campaign to urge their business contacts to do likewise. At their urging, in the early 1880s, the Methodist Episcopal Church in Albion set aside the second Sunday in May to recognize the special contributions of mothers.

Frank E. Hering, President of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, made the first known public plea for "a national day to honor our mothers" in 1904. [5][6]

In its present form, Mother's Day was established by Anna Marie Jarvis, following the death of her mother on May 9, 1905; she campaigned to establish Mother's Day as a U.S. national, and later an international, holiday.[1]

Originally the Andrew's Methodist Episcopal Church, the site of the original Mother's Day commemoration, where Anna handed out carnations, the International Mother's Day Shrine is now a National Historic Landmark. From there, the custom caught on—spreading eventually to 46 states. The holiday was declared officially by some states as early as 1912, beginning with West Virginia. On May 8, 1914, the U.S. Congress passed a law designating the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day and requesting a proclamation. [7][8] On May 9, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson made that proclamation, declaring the first national Mother's Day, [9][7] as a day for American citizens to show the flag in honor of those mothers whose sons had died in war. [7]

Carnations have come to represent Mother's Day, since they were delivered at one of its first celebrations by its founder. [9] This also started the custom of wearing a carnation on Mother's Day. [5] The founder, Anna Jarvis, chose the carnation because it was the favorite flower of her mother.[10] In part due to the shortage of white carnations, and in part due to the efforts to expand the sales of more types of flowers in Mother's Day, the florists promoted wearing a red carnation if your mother was living, and a white one if was dead; this was tirelessly promoted until it made its way into the popular observations at churches.[11][5]

In May 2008, the US House of Representatives voted twice on a resolution commemorating Mother's Day[12][13], the first one being unanimous so that all congressmen would be on record showing support for Mother's Day.[citation needed]

Related events
In the United States, "Mother's Day Work Clubs" were organized by Anna Jarvis's mother, Ann Maria Reeves Jarvis (1832-1905), to improve sanitation and health in the area. These clubs also assisted both Union and Confederate encampments controlling a typhoid outbreak, and conducted a "Mothers' Friendship Day" to reconcile families divided by the Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothers_day_(USA)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Re: Happy Mothers Day!

Post by Rakis »

Happy mothers day to all the mothers on the board, to my mom and to my girlfriend... :romance-grouphug: :romance-heartstiny:
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

i cleaned the kitchen on hands and knees with bare hands, bleech and a cheese cloth

happy mothers day wife!
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I made breakfast for my wife, pancakes, bacon, bannannas, strawberrys and me and the kids made cards for her. I was supposed to mop the kitched floor but only got as far as sweeping it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Well, i woke up at 5 am to take care of the younger one while she was sleeping...

Believe me, it meant the world to her... :lol:
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Rakis wrote:Well, i woke up at 5 am to take care of the younger one while she was sleeping...

Believe me, it meant the world to her... :lol:
nothing like a sleep in day! well done
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Me and the little lady usually take turns on the weekend. I usually sleep late saturday and she on sunday, or visa versa. I tried a little more than usual to keed the kids from bothering her and to keep the house from looking like a TOTAL disaster by the time she rolled out of bed. That's hard to do while fixing breakfast for six... thank god for marijuana.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:Me and the little lady usually take turns on the weekend. I usually sleep late saturday and she on sunday, or visa versa. I tried a little more than usual to keed the kids from bothering her and to keep the house from looking like a TOTAL disaster by the time she rolled out of bed. That's hard to do while fixing breakfast for six... thank god for marijuana.
For you or the kids ? :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Rakis wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Me and the little lady usually take turns on the weekend. I usually sleep late saturday and she on sunday, or visa versa. I tried a little more than usual to keed the kids from bothering her and to keep the house from looking like a TOTAL disaster by the time she rolled out of bed. That's hard to do while fixing breakfast for six... thank god for marijuana.
For me, the kids are too young! When they're 18 they can smoke whatever they want. Until then I'm responsible for them.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Once they hit 18 its up to them to make choices like that, i would much rather mine smoke up then get drunk.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
Rakis wrote:
For me, the kids are too young! When they're 18 they can smoke whatever they want. Until then I'm responsible for them.
:lol: I knew that...just teasin 'ya :dance:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Happy Belated Mothers' Day to all the females on here, wether you be a mother or just a motherly figure in someone's life. A big cheer to all mothers: biological, adoptive, step-mothers, and the ladies who serve as mentors to those who have no mother in their lives.

Thanks to all you do.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I forgot to phone my mom yesterday... :doh:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I forgot to phone my mom yesterday... :doh:
No soup for you, one year!
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I can't believe it, but I actually awoke my mother with a phone call on Sunday. It was noon where I live and 10:00 am where my parents live. But she was asleep and my phone call woke her up. It's just not possible. My mother, sleeping in past 10:00? Unthinkable! :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I can't believe it, but I actually awoke my mother with a phone call on Sunday. It was noon where I live and 10:00 am where my parents live. But she was asleep and my phone call woke her up. It's just not possible. My mother, sleeping in past 10:00? Unthinkable! :)
I bet she'd been up all night smoking crack. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I got all my weekend stuff done while she was at church with the kids, then we drove to SF to visit a good friend of hers who spends every mother's day there with her daughter.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

This thread really gave me a scare, had me thinking I missed it and was a dead man walking. Well it did till I remembered we had it in April over here.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

inhuien wrote:This thread really gave me a scare, had me thinking I missed it and was a dead man walking. Well it did till I remembered we had it in April over here.
So...you DID missed it ? :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:I can't believe it, but I actually awoke my mother with a phone call on Sunday. It was noon where I live and 10:00 am where my parents live. But she was asleep and my phone call woke her up. It's just not possible. My mother, sleeping in past 10:00? Unthinkable! :)
I bet she'd been up all night smoking crack. :wink:
yo mamma! :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Call your mother. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:Call your mother. :wink:
Or get into a Facebook argument with her like I did. :cat fight:

It lets her know you care.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:

Ah, that's what moms are for!
~Pink Snowman
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Freakzilla wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

Ah, that's what moms are for!
Yes, isn't that weird? I don't see my son for 11 years, and the next thing you know we're arguing on Facebook about the types and disposition of the human ego.
I was dead proud of him though - he knows way more than I do.
trang

Post by trang »

Happy Mom's day to all those here on the board, and the attached to Moms of OHers everywhere.

Sadly I dont get that pleasure as mine is a psychotic nut job and havent wanted to be near her since I was 17. So for those who do enjoy birth mom or other inherited moms, good luck to ya!!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."