posts that I think should be deleted at DN

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

inhuien

Re: posts that I think should be deleted at DN

Post by inhuien »

Next you'll be telling me you poo-poo scented candles. :oops: :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

inhuien wrote:poo scented candles.
:shock: ...... :shock:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

inhuien wrote:Next you'll be telling me you poo-poo scented candles. :oops: :)
How about crucifixes and garlic? :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not right before dinner, please. (Really!)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey! It's been a while since Byron rammed his foot down it, but he hasn't lost his touch!

In thread "dunenovels.com Forum Index » All Things Dune » Where did Frank get his Serbian from?" in response to this OP:
Miss Kazan in Croatia wrote:Some of you may have noticed a curious little songlet in the Serbian language in Frank Herbert's Dune? And a mistranslation, while we're at it. In the first of the Dune series novels, after Paul and Jessica join the Fremen, they are in one of their caves and some chanting ensues, quoting the lyrics:

"Ima trava okolo!
I korenja okolo!"

Which Jess then translates into "These are ashes! And these are roots!" (they're not - instead of ashes the first verse says grass or herbs, i'm guessing at any rate some weed was involved when he was translating it), and then Jamis's funeral ceremony begins.

Now, I know which song he got it from, and in the original it's:

"Ima trave uokolo Save,
I korenja okolo jasenja!"

This translates as "there is grass by the [river] Sava / and weeds around the ash trees" which explains the confusion with the ashes. This is a gypsy song, I think, according to a story sung by a woman who sees her lover run off with someone else, and then she sings to herself that there are plenty of herbs and weeds she can use to make a "love potion" or some similar cr@p, to get back at him. (Incidentally, I live just a couple minutes away from the river Sava and there really is a mess of grass there.)

My question is, where did Frank get this from? Did he know some Serbian or Croatian who could have translated the lyrics for him?

Um ... how many years in the future there, ByrByr? :roll:

There he is for ya, folks, Byron Merritt, grandson of Frank Herbert and AMAZING DUNE EXPERT!!!

Fucking tool.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:cylon101: What is it, like 21,000? 110 centuries of space trave before the BJ then 10,191 until Dune.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Plus whatever time until we venture out into "deep space", whatever Frank meant by that. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm sure he meant tens of thousands. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SandChigger wrote: Image

There he is for ya, folks, Byron Merritt, grandson of Frank Herbert and AMAZING DUNE EXPERT!!!

Fucking tool.
Yep. Goes to show you how much he really cares about Frank's Dune. And his part-time job, for that matter. Though I guess when you're working for Pinky and The Brain, nowhere in the job description will you find respect/knowledge of Frank's works.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Hey! It's been a while since Byron rammed his foot down it, but he hasn't lost his touch!

In thread "dunenovels.com Forum Index » All Things Dune » Where did Frank get his Serbian from?" in response to this OP:
Miss Kazan in Croatia wrote:Some of you may have noticed a curious little songlet in the Serbian language in Frank Herbert's Dune? And a mistranslation, while we're at it. In the first of the Dune series novels, after Paul and Jessica join the Fremen, they are in one of their caves and some chanting ensues, quoting the lyrics:

"Ima trava okolo!
I korenja okolo!"

Which Jess then translates into "These are ashes! And these are roots!" (they're not - instead of ashes the first verse says grass or herbs, i'm guessing at any rate some weed was involved when he was translating it), and then Jamis's funeral ceremony begins.

"Ima trave uokolo Save,

This translates as "there is grass by the [river] Sava / and weeds around the ash trees" which explains the confusion with the ashes. This is a gypsy song, I think, according to a story sung by a woman who sees her lover run off with someone else, and then she sings to herself that there are plenty of herbs and weeds she can use to make a "love potion" or some similar cr@p, to get back at him. (Incidentally, I live just a couple minutes away from the river Sava and there really is a mess of grass there.)

My question is, where did Frank get this from? Did he know some Serbian or Croatian who could have translated the lyrics for him?

Fucking tool.
Well, that confirms it : Byron never read Dune, he just saw the 1984 movie... :snooty:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Oh dear.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

"Ima trava okolo!
I korenja okolo!"

"Ima trave uokolo Save,

Various books on the history of gypsies and witches. For example, Chapterhouse Dune, the upright burial was an old gypsy custom (Hopefully, Omphalos makes the trip to the other library that has a collection of books from Frank's peronsal book shelf).
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

That's interesting, do you know the reason for the upright burial in gypsy tradition? Is it similar to the Bene Gesserit tradition i.e. for fertilising purposes?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mr. Teg wrote:

"Ima trava okolo!
I korenja okolo!"

"Ima trave uokolo Save,

Various books on the history of gypsies and witches. For example, Chapterhouse Dune, the upright burial was an old gypsy custom (Hopefully, Omphalos makes the trip to the other library that has a collection of books from Frank's peronsal book shelf).
Its in Florence, Oregon. Still trying to get a case up there so I can make the trip.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, Schu!

You gotta draw this "FishSpeakerLover" guy out about what the characters in his avatar image mean. ;)

(Instead of saying something like "Fish Speaker", it actually says "(The) Fish Star" or "The Star Fish". As in the fish who was the star of the show/movie. What planet do these people come from?)
Schu

Post by Schu »

That's fuckin' hilarious! His avatar essentially means "Nemo" :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock: Whoa ... This could be intentionally deep....

:P
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Nah he's clearly nobody :wink:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
guild navigator

Post by guild navigator »

http://dunenovels.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:? :? :?
If I ever stopped writing, my head would explode.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:obscene-moneypiss:
...... :music-headbanger: ......
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

That was rather painful! Another good reason never to watch Eurovision.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What is this? You know most of us are banned from DN, right? :roll:
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm not banned, but I left Dumbnovels and I ain't ever going back. Ever, no exceptions. Give us the executive summary :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Off-topic forum (dunenovels.com Forum Index » Off-Topic » The worst Eurovision entry of all time) post by "The Star Fish", with a link to a YouTube viddy of some Lithuanian group doing a self-promo song? Some bald guy simulates an epileptic fit to music.

:P

I'm not sure I understand why this is here, GN. FishSpeakerLover didn't opine anything particularly stupid in his post and it's in the right forum. Byron's reply is normally intelligent, even for Byron these days. We've equally silly and pointless link threads here. ;)

So what's Eurovision? :?
ionah

Post by ionah »

this is Eurovision : http://www.eurovision.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the worst thing Europe made to promote itself ... but it's successful in Europe :mrgreen: