Board Upgrade

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: Board Upgrade

Post by Mandy »

I know there is a way to make captcha work on whichever theme you choose as the default. I'll just have to think of the right search terms to find it. I'll let you know if I do.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Omphalos wrote:That's right. The Captchca hooks only exist in Subsilver and Prosilver, so one of those themes has to be the default.

I don't think that its such a big deal that we have Prosilver for a default. People come here for Dune, not because we have a cool theme. Maybe one day we will get around to putting a banner up on those themes though.
I agree fully that esthetics are secondary. They are Ghafla! However, my concern lies in PR. I'm willing to bet that the online Dune community is going to see a spike in activity with the coming film. This means a pilgrimage of new members. Those members are either going to see Dunenovels' lame-ass, yet pretty obviously dune-related theme, or they will see our bad-ass blood-splatter logo on a theme that doesn't look like ass. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that we are the true Dune fan forum, and I think that newcomers should be able to find that pretty obvious. But of course, the overall traffic comparison should make that clear. :D
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Omphalos wrote:That's right. The Captchca hooks only exist in Subsilver and Prosilver, so one of those themes has to be the default.

I don't think that its such a big deal that we have Prosilver for a default. People come here for Dune, not because we have a cool theme. Maybe one day we will get around to putting a banner up on those themes though.
You can modify other templates to use captcha.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but there might be some useful info in it.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1437125
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I know. Ive read that thread. Its actually a modified captchca that we use here and at T(A)U. The spammers have figured out how to defeat the one built in. Its just a PITA setting all of them up to do it, and its especially difficult because we have an add on system already.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, by all means spread the eye-candy and attract the flies. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Yes, by all means spread the eye-candy and attract the flies. :roll:
Sparkles and unicorns, anyone? :naughty:

I'm all for new membership, but the real fans will judge this board from its content, not by the look of it...I think we have proven that already... :twocents-02cents:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's also possible to simply tweak the prosilver default theme's CSS and make it more "Dune-like" just by changing the color scheme and adding a background texture (sand, for example?), etc.... ;)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:It's also possible to simply tweak the prosilver default theme's CSS and make it more "Dune-like" just by changing the color scheme and adding a background texture (sand, for example?), etc.... ;)
Have at it. Just shoot me an e-mail when you're done. :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK, will do.

You still have the URL of the test forum? ;)

(If not, I'll send it in the mail/PM when I've got something. Or post it in the "club house" for feedback from everyone?)
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

I'm still figuring out how to navigate around here!

The board looks really great though!