Discribe the BG!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Schu

Re: Discribe the BG!

Post by Schu »

Well the way I saw it was that Paul got them into the mess, Leto II got them out of it, another KH could get them right back in the same mess again. I kinda thought that might have been why Leto considered destroying the BG.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

But even another Leto couldn't have destroyed the GP.

Even a "God Emperor Teg" couldn't find every pocket of humans everywhere in the universe.

After the Scattering, all disasters are local, even if local is "Leto huge". ;)
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I'm actually beginning to disagree with the "unstoppable GP through the Scattering" theory.

Even humankind spreading at exponential rates with no-ships and immunity to prescience isn't infinite.
This is the fallacy of power: ultimately it is effective only in an absolute, limited universe. But the basic lesson of our relativistic universe is that things change. Any power must always meet a greater power.
The infinite numbers game says that not even the Scattering is an assurance of human survival.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um, don't get me started on the use of "infinite" again, alright? Nothing is, ever has, or even can be. Period.

Take it up with Freak if you've got a problem. :P

People escaping from millions of planets over a period of one and a half millennia ... you try to go chase them all down and kill them and "brake" the GP. Knock yerself out. :lol:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:Um, don't get me started on the use of "infinite" again, alright? Nothing is, ever has, or even can be. Period.

People escaping from millions of planets over a period of one and a half millennia ... you try to go chase them all down and kill them and "brake" the GP. Knock yerself out. :lol:
:cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101: :cylon101:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SandChigger wrote:Um, don't get me started on the use of "infinite" again, alright? Nothing is, ever has, or even can be. Period.

A superorganism could do so without needing to phiscally reach any of those planets.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SwordMaster wrote:

A superorganism could do so without needing to phiscally reach any of those planets.
I hope you don't mean a Normacle or Omnibus... :pray:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

No, Paul and Leto both refered to humanity acting at times as a single organism. But I don't think FH meant in a literal sense.

I suppose FH may have intended for "The Net" to be some way of tapping into that "superorganism" consciousness but we're moving into the realm of conjecture there and not discussing canon anymore.

I don't think the BG could do anything to threaten the GP. I imagine Sheeana's religion could spread across the universe but that's not going to kill everyone.

In an old voice, Leto said: "There's no single set of limits for all men.
Universal prescience is an empty myth. Only the most powerful local currents of
Time may be foretold. But in an infinite universe, local can be so gigantic that
your mind shrinks from it."

~Leto II, CoD
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Yes, and Bell also talks about a (possible) multiverse that could be travelled by no-ships, so the possibilities are indeed...infinite...
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I agree, my point was more that really big numbers don't mean much considering that the universe is an even bigger place. Relative infinity, like the kind you use in physics equations to represent "really fucking big."
Wouldn't be that hard for an alien species that had been escaping from billions of planets over the same or a longer period of time.

OR FOR NORMA CENVA. OR DUNCAN JESUS HERBERT CHRIST IDAHO.

In all seriousness, though, Daniel and Marty definitely seem capable of seeing no-ships and no-people, and they seemed to believe they were endangering Duncan, despite having not moved an inch from their garden plantings. If you had enough people like them to drive the Honored Matres back into the Old Empire, I could imagine them being a threat of sorts to the human population as a whole. Except, of course, for the fact that Duncan did seem capable of seeing and getting around the Net. So maybe the BG would have actually been endangering humanity by killing off their "potential KH"?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Phaedrus wrote:DUNCAN JESUS HERBERT CHRIST IDAHO.
He's my messiah. :confusion-confused: Whoops, sorry. It was just gas. :doh:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Superorganism? Alien species?

Ahem. :naughty:
Schu

Post by Schu »

SandChigger wrote:But even another Leto couldn't have destroyed the GP.

Even a "God Emperor Teg" couldn't find every pocket of humans everywhere in the universe.

After the Scattering, all disasters are local, even if local is "Leto huge". ;)
Do you think the BG were willing to take the risk that that logic is wrong? I don't think it's certain that Teg couldn't have, it just makes his task a lot harder.

Ironically, scattering the population makes more population, meaning you will have more chance of randomly spawning someone that has such amazing talents and power that they can have and hold more power, and therefore threaten more people's survival.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:Superorganism? Alien species?

I think he probably means human/post-human or AI...
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SandChigger wrote:Superorganism? Alien species?

Nothing Alien.
FH was a Superorganism student and teacher.
What do YOU think the NET was?

Why was it a risk to Duncan?

but yah, we are out of cannon. fine.

Can we all agree then, the BG existed only to continue to exist?
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:No, Paul and Leto both refered to humanity acting at times as a single organism. But I don't think FH meant in a literal sense.

I suppose FH may have intended for "The Net" to be some way of tapping into that "superorganism" consciousness but we're moving into the realm of conjecture there and not discussing canon anymore.

I don't think the BG could do anything to threaten the GP. I imagine Sheeana's religion could spread across the universe but that's not going to kill everyone.

In an old voice, Leto said: "There's no single set of limits for all men.
Universal prescience is an empty myth. Only the most powerful local currents of
Time may be foretold. But in an infinite universe, local can be so gigantic that
your mind shrinks from it."

~Leto II, CoD
Yeah, thats where I get my idea from. Paul and Leto knew of it. But it is conjecture. Also FZ you yourself came up with a better concept for Dune 7 in less then 20 seconds while you posted. I would say most of this message board could write dune 7 and it would be way better then everything those two have put out.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I dont think that a threat to humanity post-scatering is possible, dont forget that human population grows exponencialy, add that to a large scatering with no-ships into galaxies that no one ever set foot in and it's impossible to eliminate humanity.

I've started re-reading heretics of Dune and i've gotten the impression that their fear of the kwisatz haderach is related not only to a threat that the sisterhood would be in bondage again, but also to a fear that it would awaken, in some way, Leto II's pearls of awareness.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Seraphan wrote:I dont think that a threat to humanity post-scatering is possible, dont forget that human population grows exponencialy, add that to a large scatering with no-ships into galaxies that no one ever set foot in and it's impossible to eliminate humanity.

I've started re-reading heretics of Dune and i've gotten the impression that their fear of the kwisatz haderach is related not only to a threat that the sisterhood would be in bondage again, but also to a fear that it would awaken, in some way, Leto II's pearls of awareness.
And somehow these pearls of awareness could also pose a threat to the BG?
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

From what I understood, the BG thought that if Leto actually did exist in those pearls he (or a similar force) could still somehow "guide humanity" with an innate prescience within the worms. They thought that it was possible that humanity could still be under his spell and that's why Taraza wanted Rakis and nearly all the worms destroyed.

Slap me if I'm merely stating the obvious. I just wanted to feel that I was contributing. :mrgreen:
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Tleszer wrote:From what I understood, the BG thought that if Leto actually did exist in those pearls he (or a similar force) could still somehow "guide humanity" with an innate prescience within the worms. They thought that it was possible that humanity could still be under his spell and that's why Taraza wanted Rakis and nearly all the worms destroyed.

Slap me if I'm merely stating the obvious. I just wanted to feel that I was contributing. :mrgreen:
No that is helpfull and thanks for your contribution. I do understand that fear, but it was not so much fear as to destroy all worms mainly that last one they needed so badly for the future of spice production?
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Yeah, i still have some trouble digesting the whole BG plan in heretics.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I think the assumption with the last worm was that by the time enough worms existed in the universe again humanity would have already broken free from the Tyrant's grip (pearl). Also, they were safeguarding the worm so that, should the opportunity present itself, they would be able to manipulate a religion around Sheeana and the worm and regain a certain hold on the populace, a hold that they haven't had since before Paul became Muad'Dib.

Also, since the HM wiped out the BT, the BG would have a monopoly on the spice. I think they were also treating this monopoly just as Leto did. It was a way to keep weaning the people off of the spice.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Tleszer wrote:I think the assumption with the last worm was that by the time enough worms existed in the universe again humanity would have already broken free from the Tyrant's grip (pearl). Also, they were safeguarding the worm so that, should the opportunity present itself, they would be able to manipulate a religion around Sheeana and the worm and regain a certain hold on the populace, a hold that they haven't had since before Paul became Muad'Dib.

Also, since the HM wiped out the BT, the BG would have a monopoly on the spice. I think they were also treating this monopoly just as Leto did. It was a way to keep weaning the people off of the spice.
Interesting but were they weaning themself off the spice? They did not know the HM had destroyed the BT till after they had transported the worm... But I like idea of keeping it for "able to manipulate a religion" seems more viable, but again, seems a catch 22 if they keep the pearl alive will it not continue to pose that same threat?
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Tleszer wrote:I think the assumption with the last worm was that by the time enough worms existed in the universe again humanity would have already broken free from the Tyrant's grip (pearl). Also, they were safeguarding the worm so that, should the opportunity present itself, they would be able to manipulate a religion around Sheeana and the worm and regain a certain hold on the populace, a hold that they haven't had since before Paul became Muad'Dib.

Interesting but were they weaning themself off the spice? They did not know the HM had destroyed the BT till after they had transported the worm... But I like idea of keeping it for "able to manipulate a religion" seems more viable, but again, seems a catch 22 if they keep the pearl alive will it not continue to pose that same threat?
I think they wanted to break human dependence on the spice, much like Leto did. It was the only way that humans would be independent of the worms and of Leto's control. his pearls of awareness were spread through the entire worm population that descended from him. by only leaving one, they diminished his influence to virtually nil.
But they did seed Chapterhouse AND other planets with sandtrout, increasing the risks of the Worm coming back...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I still don't get how the "pearls of awareness" make any difference. Leto isn't conscious, isn't some sort of "hive mind" in the worms (which aren't even remotely sentient).

BG delusion/fear.