Cloning today

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nebiros

Cloning today

Post by Nebiros »

Please forgive me for not doing my homework on this subject of cloning. :oops: I've been meaning to discuss this for a long time.

Human cloning today is possible. Animals including a sheep and a dog have been cloned. I believe the way you do it is to take a cell (a skin cell for example. Or do only stem cells work?) and inject it into an egg within a female. Unlike sperm, it creates an exact duplicate. I don't know the specifics. But that would mean a woman could give birth to herself.

I don't want to get into the subject of the difference between a ghola and a clone so let's just call it duplicates.

Now this means that Dune's axlotl tanks are not necissary to create duplicates. You do not need to turn a woman brain dead and inflate her body up and attach tubes to her to turn her into a factory to create a duplicate of anyone. Of course we did not know how to create clones back in the 1980's when the last of Franks Dune books were published. But there is still other reasons for axlotl tanks. With axlotl tanks the Tlielaxu can refine their duplicates. Make them more docile, give them certain skills. In other words, they have complete control over how they want the duplicate to be like.

Human cloning has not taken place yet but it's noly a matter of time since we now have the basic knowledge. If I am ever cloned in the future, I'll be proud to know now that I am the original.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Cloning today

Post by Nekhrun »

That's quite an ego. What makes you think you'd be better than a clone of yourself. With any luck any mistakes made with you could be corrected and the clone would be better. (He may never go through a kja phase).

I'm all for cloning and wish people would get off their high horse about it and let people do what they want with their own DNA. I like to leave mine everywhere I go. :whistle:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

First, clones should be thought of as mere identical twins of different ages. If you cloned Hitler he would merely share Hitler's exact DNA.
:Adolf: :Adolf:

Second, Gholas are made from the cells of the deceased and according to Duniverse Mythos, would share cellular memories even if merely subconcious deja vu.

All aside, human cloning, whatever. It's going to happen, if it hasn't really yet, and the generations that grow up with them will probably think nothing of it. What interests me is if we can and will create "monster" creatures to grow genetic duplicate organs for us, and if the engineering can eventually bring us to a point of immorality. What kind of blow would that be to the culture of human "Wild" breeding.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

This whole tread is just disgusting. I am mortified. Sickos.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Is there a need to clone humans except for organ harvesting?

I mean, is there a shortage of babies?

It may be a fortunate technology to have one day though, just in case.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:Is there a need to clone humans except for organ harvesting?

That's pretty much how I look at cloning, a great way to get organsin the future (and maybe a good way to get steak...mmmmm clone steak. The could just grow giant slabs of the best meat).
A Thing of Eternity

Baraka Bryan wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:

That's pretty much how I look at cloning, a great way to get organsin the future (and maybe a good way to get steak...mmmmm clone steak. The could just grow giant slabs of the best meat).

i wonder how copyright laws will be affected by it... suppose a certain restaurant has an amazing steak that they clone and serve; it'd be interesting to see if they could trademark or copyright it
That's exactly what will happen. This is already being done with crops, I did a research essay on genetic engineering last term.

In the US (land of the lawsuits of course) there was a feild growing a specialized crop strain - but the wind blew a bunch of the seed ontoo a neighbor's feild, who unsuspectingly harvested it with the rest of his crops. The owner of the first feild sued the second farmer for theft and won. :?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Cloning would be great to have incase herds of animals get wiped out by disease, or natural populations fail. Most of hte organ harvesting problem I hope will one day be addressed through stem cell research.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:

Cloning would be great to have incase herds of animals get wiped out by disease, or natural populations fail. Most of hte organ harvesting problem I hope will one day be addressed through stem cell research.
That's generally what I mean when I say cloning for organs, no point to growing a who human (and it'd be extremely immoral)
Tio_Holtzmann

Post by Tio_Holtzmann »

I still think nanotechnology has a greater potential than genetic research.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:let people do what they want with their own DNA. I like to leave mine everywhere I go. :whistle:
Don't you mean come? :P

Nebiros, what the fuck? This is the same goddamned shit you posted over on Dune Novels. You're getting to be as bad as KJA, duplicating his blahgs all over hell and back.

Don't start out begging forgiveness for laziness. (Or further laziness: not tailoring your content to each place you post it is LAZY. KJA LAZY.) Do your "homework" and then post. That way you might actually understand how cloning is done.

And there's no need for some stupid new term like "duplicates". A ghola is a fictional concept. Clone is fine for use.
If I am ever cloned in the future, I'll be proud to know now that I am the original.
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Proud of what? Two hairless primates from branches of the tree divergent for several tens of millennia get together and fuck and squirt out an offspring a bit denser and noisier than the norm, versus someone intentionally creating a clone of said noisy offspring ... what's to be proud of?

As Schu asked over on Dune Novels, "what were YOU meaning to discuss" here? :roll:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Him discuss? From what I've seen it's more his style to piss on a fire and complain about getting splashed. Clone bone moan.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Quite.

He'd be better served (and his wife better serviced?) if he spent more time "boning", if you know what I mean. ;)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Need I bring up selfcest?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You mean, if you have sex with your clone is it homosexual or just masturbation?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:You mean, if you have sex with your clone is it homosexual or just masturbation?
lol... what about if you have an anti-clone like Hwi/Malky?
I'd never leave the house. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:You mean, if you have sex with your clone is it homosexual or just masturbation?
:think:

Thank God, I'm never gonna have to answer that question...
A Thing of Eternity

Rakis wrote:
:think:

Thank God, I'm never gonna have to answer that question...
Definitely homosexual.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I already discussed this for over three pages with Schu when I first joined. Definitely homosexual, at least a little bit. But technically masturbation.
A Thing of Eternity

Redstar wrote:I already discussed this for over three pages with Schu when I first joined. Definitely homosexual, at least a little bit. But technically masturbation.
Not masturbation at all, a clone is not you, in any way, no more than twins are the same person.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Redstar wrote:I already discussed this for over three pages with Schu when I first joined. Definitely homosexual, at least a little bit. But technically masturbation.
Not masturbation at all, a clone is not you, in any way, no more than twins are the same person.
You just call it masturbation to avoid the moral issues behind it... Case in point, fuck your hot ass twin and it's just "masturbation".
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And they say I have issues? :roll:

So Thang has a hot-ass twin? :shock:
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:And they say I have issues? :roll:

So Thang has a hot-ass twin? :shock:
:shock: Since when? What'd I miss?
Schu

Post by Schu »

Or is it just HAWT?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Go take a cold shower already, Schubi.

(And don't send people pix this time. :roll: )
A Thing of Eternity wrote: :shock: Since when? What'd I miss?
Evidently a little prick.

:shock:

Er, I mean, PIN prick, when whoever it was harvested the cells used to... Oh, nevermind. :oops: