greetings and props to freakzilla

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuneFishUK

Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

Post by DuneFishUK »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:Welcome Gombeen!

Hmm, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure Frank called the character Irulan because it is an anagram for Urinal... Ghanima even makes fun of her name in CoD, calling her "Ruinal" which isn't even a proper word, but to me he is hinting at "Urinal."

Anyway, I'd probably name a girl Ghanima if I ever had an awesome-enough wife to agree to such a thing. Alia is a pretty common name, but I detest the Alliyah spelling. No way I'd name my kid after some dead R&B singer, unless it was Isaac Hayes. There's a chain of girly-accessories stores called "Alia" up here.
way to go DI, now he's gonna be calling his kid Urinal in his head :P

yeah i'd either go with Ghanima or Chani possibly... both awesome names.
I want to name a son Ender :)
I wouldn't name a girl Ghanima or Ghani personally, she'd just end up being called Grandma or Granny all her life, plus it's not a very feminine name. It's a cool name, I just don't think it's one the kid would appreciate having.
First name Frank, middle name Herbert. Blatantly. :D
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Hmm, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure Frank called the character Irulan because it is an anagram for Urinal... Ghanima even makes fun of her name in CoD, calling her "Ruinal" which isn't even a proper word, but to me he is hinting at "Urinal."

Anyway, I'd probably name a girl Ghanima if I ever had an awesome-enough wife to agree to such a thing. Alia is a pretty common name, but I detest the Alliyah spelling. No way I'd name my kid after some dead R&B singer, unless it was Isaac Hayes. There's a chain of girly-accessories stores called "Alia" up here.
Um... Isn't that 'ruin all'? :wink:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I think Ghani meant it as an adjective describing Irulan, meaning the same thing as Ruinous.

I don't hold it against Frank, it's just poetic license. Plus the fact thet he's writing a story that takes place 25,000 years into the future, where the language they speak is Galach and it may not even resemble English at all.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
trang

Post by trang »

Alia is a pretty common name, but I detest the Alliyah spelling. No way I'd name my kid after some dead R&B singer, unless it was Isaac Hayes. There's a chain of girly-accessories stores called "Alia" up here.
Thanks for the vote of favor!! fyi my daughter is 17 years old... had nothing to do with the singer.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

theGombeenMan

Post by theGombeenMan »

thanx for suggesting i named daughter after a urinal...i assume social skills was something the tleilaxu forgot to include when you were in the axlotl tanks, maybe they were drunk :wink:

ghanima i think means spoil of war
Chani doesnt sound good with my last name

tell me Irulan Khan doesnt sound sweet?

which is the main reason i named her not in the hopes she becomes as hated as the book character was. 100% of the people i encounter say how pretty the name is plus she is quite pretty

FYI
most arabs and pakistani spell alia this way: aliyah since this spelling is inclusive of many of the letters of arabic alphabet
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Sounds nice to me, even though I might not be pronouncing it the way you do. The main thing is, do you and your wife like the name. If the answer is yes, then who cares what others think.

I know, to me, my real name should be easy to pronounce but you would be surprised as how many different names I am called by others.

I simply smile (especially if they are my elders or either very young) and acknowledge what they say. I know most do it not out of meaness.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
theGombeenMan

Post by theGombeenMan »

thanx for the support

Im not concerned about it ...but you knw what they say about first impressions.
back to the name thing ...when possible pronouncing someone's name demonstrates interest in part of who you are. it goes a long way when meeting people of different cultures: it instantly buys you credibility
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

My parents names were Moody and Serena, and both of them were III's. They hated their names so much that they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother.

You have no idea how many letters came for "Woody and Sersna" at my house when I was a kid.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother
Am I the only one not getting this one? :?
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Eyes High wrote:Sounds nice to me, even though I might not be pronouncing it the way you do. The main thing is, do you and your wife like the name. If the answer is yes, then who cares what others think.

I know, to me, my real name should be easy to pronounce but you would be surprised as how many different names I am called by others.

I simply smile (especially if they are my elders or either very young) and acknowledge what they say. I know most do it not out of meaness.
What's your real name?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

chanilover wrote:
Eyes High wrote:Sounds nice to me, even though I might not be pronouncing it the way you do. The main thing is, do you and your wife like the name. If the answer is yes, then who cares what others think.

What's your real name?

Sheria
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother
No, you're not the only one, Chig.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Tleszer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
No, you're not the only one, Chig.

I'm assuming the family names are the middle names since he wrote that they randomly choose first names.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Eyes High wrote:
chanilover wrote:

What's your real name?

Sheria
Does it sound like sharia? Or more like Sherry with an "uh" at the end?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

The way I tell most people is that is rhymes with Maria.

so Sh re ah

but I have been called: Sherida, Sherita, Searia, Shernia (Some of my famiy still calls me Sherry), and there's this child who still calls me Mrs. Shelia

I just smile and answer
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I'm just amazed how many variations some people can come up with. There is an elderly gentleman at my church who actually calls me Sahara (like the desert) And one time he called me Sierra (like the drink.)

I admit I like some of the variation better than my actual name. Hey, at least they talk to me and try to pronounce it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
I meant middle names. Sorry. Fasting too type there for a minute.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nice digital spoonerism there. :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:Nice digital spoonerism there. :lol:
:D