Dune Font [Finished]

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Schu

Post by Schu »

I believe the chinese education department has classified π as exactly 3 for students. How stupid. Apparently the bible does it too.

22/7 I also kinda found stupid. Just remembering 3.14 is easier than remembering a fraction I think, and it's slightly more accurate.

A quarter of π is approximated by 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 etc (or more formally, the summation to infinity of ((-1)^n)/(2n+1) from n=0. I find that rather cool.

Also one of my favourite formulas is e^ix = cosx + isinx, which for the special case of x=π, turns into e^iπ=-1. Surprisingly easy to prove too.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Schu wrote:A quarter of π is approximated by 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 etc (or more formally, the summation to infinity of ((-1)^n)/(2n+1) from n=0. I find that rather cool.
I thought that series equals pi. Which is way cool. Am I wrong?

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I haven't heard anything like that (pi = 3) about the Chinese, but the Japanese Ministry of Education (and a whole lot of other shit*) made that one of their educational policies a few years back. They were soon forced to rescind it following a massive public outcry.

They're bureaucrats, not educators. And mostly idiots, from what I can tell.

* It's the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology ... which they cleverly abbreviate as "MEXT". Get it? C = K + S + S = X. :roll:
Schu

Post by Schu »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Schu wrote:A quarter of π is approximated by 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 etc (or more formally, the summation to infinity of ((-1)^n)/(2n+1) from n=0. I find that rather cool.
I thought that series equals pi. Which is way cool. Am I wrong?

HBJ
yes, you're wrong
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I'm just going to come out and say that I don't believe in math.
Schu

Post by Schu »

but... but.... math believes in you!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

hey, that's really great & interesting.

why don't one of you figure out a formula for getting the new banner up ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

IF (??) they're going to update to the new version of the boardware, then there's not really much point in spending a lot of effort on themes for the current one.

The logo should be doable quickly enough, though. Here's the URL for the "phpbb creating communities"-with-a-tent logo address for the default theme:

templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif

Just need to make a new version of that for each theme and have Ragabash upload it to the server....
Drunken Idaho

Re: Dune Font [Finished]

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Anyone know what the font is called that the nuDune books use?
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

The Andersonian?
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Puke Unicode Narrow minded
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

No idea. I was trying to work it out the other week. Failed miserably... :P

Was going to try asking on DN - but Byron had other ideas.. his loss. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Was surfin' just now and came across this...
Makes it all worth it :wink:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:lol:
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

DuneFishUK wrote:Was surfin' just now and came across this...
Makes it all worth it :wink:
Nice find! :clap:
SandRider
Watermaster

Re:

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:From Penguin:
Dear James,
Thank you for your inquiry about the DUNE series.
We do not have this information readily available as some of the data that we would need to reference in order to respond accurately is not available to us in our database.
However, we will pass your question off to our Editorial staff to see if perhaps there’s an alternate means for obtaining this information. Because of the volume of mail received, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a personal response; however, we will see that your question is sent along for review.
We regret that we were not able to respond directly with an answer, and we thank you for taking the time to contact us.
was there a follow-up in this thread later on ? I got bored and jumped out ...

and what about this:
Freakzilla wrote:These themes are just temporary. Free ones I downloaded.
We'll eventually get a custom default theme up.
and a customized smiley-pack ?

also:

{Fire by Section/Left Section/Left Piece - Fire!}
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I can't remember if Penguin never responded or if their respons was so non-informative that I forgot.

Omph says Rag is planning to impliment a GUI upload program. When that happens I'll try to do a lot more customization. Right now I just don't have the time to learn command lines.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I can't remember if Penguin never responded or if their respons was so non-informative that I forgot.

Omph says Rag is planning to impliment a GUI upload program. When that happens I'll try to do a lot more customization. Right now I just don't have the time to learn command lines.
Ill ask this weekend. Might want to shoot him a note too, just for a double reminder. (Ive found that helps most of the people in my family remember things for longer then ten minutes).

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I can't remember if Penguin never responded or if their respons was so non-informative that I forgot.

Ill ask this weekend. Might want to shoot him a note too, just for a double reminder. (Ive found that helps most of the people in my family remember things for longer then ten minutes).
There are still few custom graphic bits for the current themes ready to upload if you're still interested - viewtopic.php?p=78752#p78752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yeah, they're interested ... I make a motion to appoint the Dunefish a moderator in charge of
putting the lipstick on this pig of a sietch ...
ImageImage

Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SandRider wrote:yeah, they're interested ... I make a motion to appoint the Dunefish a moderator in charge of
Motion seconded... I still think we need to have a badass customized look as the default theme around here. I think we're on the right track with having something like our current banner at the top (or something like the one in my sig) with the "Attitude of the knife" quote below it in a slightly battered, yet sophisticated serif font. We all know that it's the Dune quote that best defines the OH perspective, and it also reflects the blood spatter in the "logo" which in turn reflects the water-stealers of Jacurutu, and it all comes full circle in a nice way.

Having said that, if anyone needs assistance in this graphic endeavor, I offer my services.
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah it would be nice to show the HLP morons how it's done!
That we might not be Frank' sons or depositories of copyright but with real passion and genuine respect for something bigger than us we achieve results!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:yeah, they're interested ... I make a motion to appoint the Dunefish a moderator in charge of
If he wants the job, it's his.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

has anyone else noticed Windows not accepting the OH font's numbers for system stuff ?
f'instance, the Windows build that can be displayed in the corner of the desktop,
Innerwebz 'Splorer 8 & beta9 ... don't know what else yet - everything non-windows
takes the numbers fine, and the system things I'm talking about also take other font's
numbers ....

also, bumpity ...
DuneFishUK wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

There are still few custom graphic bits for the current themes ready to upload if you're still interested - viewtopic.php?p=78752#p78752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Freakzilla wrote:
If he wants the job, it's his.
ImageImage