More Smileys Please

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

My experience is that many people for whom English is a second language speak it better than most Americans.

Then there's Orald, the cheeky little bastard. :P :wink:
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Spicelon wrote:My experience is that many people for whom English is a second language speak it better than most Americans.

awesome Avatar
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

SandChigger wrote:I think I'll try to remember it like this from now on:

The Caribbean: ribbed for your pleasure! :D
I've been told that ... I taste so good!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Spicelon wrote:My experience is that many people for whom English is a second language speak it better than most Americans.
That's a nice talking point but demonstrably false when you really look at it closely. ;)

If you mean good ESL learners are more likely to use the prescribed "correct" standard grammar and forms than "sloppy" native speakers...maybe so. But it would be a rare non-native who could outperform a native in that native's dialect. You have to be careful to define your terms in stuff like this. :D

I don't mind if people's English isn't perfect as long as they actually have something to say and aren't complete assholes. The "tasteful" flitter above being a case in point. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandChigger wrote:
That's a nice talking point but demonstrably false when you really look at it closely. ;)

If you mean good ESL learners are more likely to use the prescribed "correct" standard grammar and forms than "sloppy" native speakers...maybe so. But it would be a rare non-native who could outperform a native in that native's dialect. You have to be careful to define your terms in stuff like this. :D

I don't mind if people's English isn't perfect as long as they actually have something to say and aren't complete assholes. The "tasteful" flitter above being a case in point. :roll:
True, I generalized grossly. I just find it refreshing to read a post from somebody, only to find out that they're French, or Russian, or whatever, and I would never have known it - as opposed to the "chatspeak" that so many lazy Yanks use. Or just the shear numbers of Americans who refuse to distinguish between your and you're, or there, their, and they're.

Disclaimer: I hereby absolve myself of any grammatical errors in the preceding paragraph's, and if you have a problem with that, well...well...ur a n00b and u sux0rz!!!

:wink:
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

You're just speaking to stupid youths on chat then, or on seedy forums...like those BSG ones.

Most average and below youths everywhere talk and write with bad grammer. I don't really expect much from them, the sub-humans. *lifts head in gesture of superiority*
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Spicelon wrote:Or just the shear numbers of Americans who refuse to distinguish between your and you're, or there, their, and they're.
I've never understood why these words cause people so many problems. They're so easy to remember and use properly, especially in comparison to other hurdles of the english language; like the I before E rule, which violates itself like a masochist. Well, as long as we avoid using "ur" I think we'll be fine :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Funny...I thought I posted a reply here yesterday afternoon. Guess I didn't. Hmmm. Anyway...)

I've pretty much given up getting bothered by "your" for "you're" and the rest online, and just hope the same people DON'T do it in written documents that matter, in real life.

(That written, though, I did just post a jab at Simon for doing it. :P )

The one that REALLY gets my spheencters tweetching (all three!) is when people use "then" for "than" (or vice versa). Have you noticed that one? I can't figure THAT out at all...unless they actually say both as "thuhn", with a schwa. :shock:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I hate it when people say "then" when they should say "than". The other mistakes don't bother me so much.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Eventually you get used to it and give up.

Everybody makes mistakes every now and than :D ... but ideally we should mock and scorn people who do it habitually. :twisted:

(Kidding, of coarse.)

:lol:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Oh man.. I'm friends with this guy who constantly spells words wrong. His misspellings don't even make sense. He spells "wonder" "wounder" even after I told him how to spell it. PLUS he doesn't drop the "e" when adding "ing" to words... is that called conjugating verbs? lol, I took college writing three times, so I shouldn't complain.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Spelling pet peeves? Definitely people who try to spell phonetically.

Masheen
Proseeding
Elektrisity

You talk about things that make you face palm, when you're reading a phonetically spelled word written by some schmo and realize the word that person is trying to spell it's like the ultimate "slap of dumb" hits your face. I think I could endure all the other spelling flaws of the human race more than just that one.

You know what makes it all really intolerable; the fact that the internet makes proper spelling so damn easy. It throws into contrast the laziness of all those who habitually refuse to spell properly. Never before has the average person had such quick and easy access to word reference. Dictionary.com or just use Google. Even worse, so many programs automatically spell check and many do so as you type. Hell, Firefox is checking my spelling right now. If anything the internet should have improved spelling; it's improved mine by leaps and bounds. I learned how to spell all kinds of words during my early years on the net and I'm still learning.

Sadly, spelling has actually become worse :(
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandChigger wrote:... but ideally we should mock and scorn people who do it habitually. :twisted:
Amen to that! Where can I sign up?
SandChigger wrote: (Kidding, of coarse.)

:lol:
Damn.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

Of course, there are those dislexic folks out there...but most are just plain lazy and never care for spelling.
I use Dictionary.com from time to time, like when I use a word I know I'm prone to misspell(scarcely used ones, wierdly spelled ones etc), but it's not that comfortable for checking alot of words as you write, not to mention simple typos.

GamePlayer, is there some contineous spell checking program for IE?
I'm using this SlimBrowser program for my IE for the tabs and better UI, and I have built in links to dictionaries, but no spelling check like in FF.

And before you tell me, I won't go to FF just now.
Last edited by orald on 01 Apr 2008 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

thats cause americans dont "speak bloody english"

we like to "speak american bitch!!!"

make more sense now?
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
orald

Post by orald »

Sure does, bro, sure does. :D

Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Tyrant wrote:

thats cause americans dont "speak bloody english"

make more sense now?
Like the clouds have lifted.

<country club laughter>
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

orald wrote:Of course, there are those dislexic folks out there...but most are just plain lazy and never care for spelling.
I use Dictionary.com from time to time, like when I use a word I know I'm prone to misspell(scarcely used ones, wierdly spelled ones etc), but it's not that comfortable for checking alot of words as you write, not to mention simple typos.

GamePlayer, is there some contineous spell checking program for IE?
I'm using this SlimBrowser program for my IE for the tabs and better UI, and I have built in links to dictionaries, but no spelling check like in FF.

And before you tell me, I won't go to FF just now.
I found this for IE7 http://www.ie7pro.com/ it adds a lot of the features FF has. I don't have it on my computer so I can't recommend it, but you can check it out.
orald

Post by orald »

Maybe I'll check it tomorrow. Actually I'm still using IE6 I think.

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Thanks Mandy. I didn't even know IE had an add-on for that.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tyrant wrote:thats cause americans dont "speak bloody english"

make more sense now?
Gawd Dur, I did miss you, you know! :D

(Love this e. e. cummings thang you got goin' on, too. ;) )
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I like IE7.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Opera Rules :P
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Rakis wrote:Opera Rules :P
Carmina Burana is my favorite.

doh!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
GamePlayer