Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

GamePlayer
70mm God

Launch the missiles!

Post by GamePlayer »

Korea launches rocket
North Korean rocket launch a 'provocative act': Obama
Last Updated: Saturday, April 4, 2009 | 9:13 AM ET

Defying the wishes of a number of nations, North Korea launched a controversial long-range rocket over Japan, a move U.S. President Barack Obama called a "provocative act" that will further isolate the nation.

The U.S. State Department, Japanese and South Korean government officials confirmed the launch. The UN Security Council approved an emergency session for Sunday afternoon in New York following a request from Japan that came immediately after the launch.

Liftoff took place Sunday morning from the coastal Musudan-ri launch pad in northeastern North Korea, the South Korean and U.S. governments said.

Western countries fear that the launch is a cover for a ballistic missile test for the North, which has nuclear weapons, and violates a 2006 resolution barring the regime from ballistic missile activity.

But North Korea has claimed the launch was to send an experimental communications satellite into orbit as part of a peaceful bid to develop its space program.

"With this provocative act, North Korea has ignored its international obligations, rejected unequivocal calls for restraint, and further isolated itself from the community of nations," Obama said in a statement from Prague.

"I urge North Korea to abide fully by the resolutions of the UN Security Council," Obama said.

Obama cautioned that North Korea will not find acceptance in the international community "unless it abandons its pursuit of weapons of mass destruction."

The president said the rocket was a Taepo-dong 2 missile, a three-stage rocket with potential range of more than 6,600 kilometres.

Japanese broadcaster NHK cited the Japanese government as saying the rocket flew over Japan. Japan said the rocket's second booster stage had splashed down in the Pacific Ocean, Reuters reported.

But there were no reports of any debris falling on Japan.

South Korea's presidential Blue House said the launch poses a "serious threat" to stability on the Korean peninsula and that it would respond to the provocation "sternly and resolutely."

North Korea earlier advised international authorities the launch would take place between Saturday and Wednesday, between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. local time.

Saturday was to be the start of a five-day window during which North Korea said it would send a communications satellite into space from a launch pad in Musudan-ri.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

His Tepid-dong...

The only thing Jong-il Kim can get up these days. :roll:
orald

Post by orald »

That Obama guy sure is war mongering, y'know.

Maybe he found out you can't be a superpower without stomping around a bit?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

Well shit. North Korea's actually a real problem. Crap.
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

dammit, Chig beat me to the phallus joke. I think North Korea is kind of late on the biggest-shaft contest. The US and Russia are past that now, ever since they realized that it's absurd to endlessly stockpile nukes. It gets to the point where each side has more than enough bombs to destroy the entire population of the Earth, so quantity becomes meaningless. THE US and Russia seem to now have an unspoken understanding of each other's potential destruction, and have mellowed out because of it.

And I don't think Obama is war-mongering. He's telling it straight. He's saying, "most of the rest of the world is ready to be cooperative with one another, but if you're going to act like a bitch, then prepare to be slapped like a bitch by me and my new friends."

Hell, I'd be much more in favour of that war, rather than Iraq or Afghanistan. Above all, I'd like to see diplomacy win, but if that fails I'll gladly support a war against a country that actually represents a real threat.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
cmsahe

Re: Launch the missiles!

Post by cmsahe »

GamePlayer wrote:Korea launches rocket

This reminds me of Stargate SG1, in the plot is revealed that the superpowers of the Universe signed a treaty forbidding Earth to develop advanced technology (interstellar travel, weapons etc)! Why is North Korea going to be forbidden to have nuclear missiles? Why don't they forbid UK, France, Israel, etc. to own nuclear bombs? They want to be the only tough guys of the block!
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

anybody else think Kim Il-Jong is dead and has been dead for quite awhile ?

come to think of it, anybody seen MadTV's Bobby Lee lately ?
maybe he got a new job as Kim's parade stand-in ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

SandRider wrote:anybody else think Kim Il-Jong is dead and has been dead for quite awhile ?

Moon over Parador!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUdy4hxyzQ
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

cmsahe wrote:
SandRider wrote:anybody else think Kim Il-Jong is dead and has been dead for quite awhile ?

Moon over Parador!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUdy4hxyzQ
HA! I've never even heard of that. Reminds me of Wag The Dog.
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

cmsahe wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Korea launches rocket

This reminds me of Stargate SG1, in the plot is revealed that the superpowers of the Universe signed a treaty forbidding Earth to develop advanced technology (interstellar travel, weapons etc)! Why is North Korea going to be forbidden to have nuclear missiles? Why don't they forbid UK, France, Israel, etc. to own nuclear bombs? They want to be the only tough guys of the block!
You know what makes North Korea not belong in the same group as UK, France, Israel, the USA, and China? North Korea is batshit insane.

Honestly, I think it's better for Iran to get nuclear weapons (which would, if everyone remained sane and MAD-y, change absolutely nothing) than North Korea.
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.
orald

Post by orald »

moreh_yeladim wrote:You know what makes North Korea not belong in the same group as UK, France, Israel, the USA, and China? North Korea is batshit insane.
China's sane, eh? :P

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

orald wrote:
moreh_yeladim wrote:You know what makes North Korea not belong in the same group as UK, France, Israel, the USA, and China? North Korea is batshit insane.
China is smart. You know they execute more people a year than all other countries combined? I'd like to see another modern country pull that off so obviously.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Redstar wrote:
orald wrote:
China is smart. You know they execute more people a year than all other countries combined? I'd like to see another modern country pull that off so obviously.
In Canada, it's called retirement... :P
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Looks like it's almost time for another "liberation"...

I agree, I don't like anyone having nukes, but there are some places I really don't want to have nukes. :shock: That said, it seems like North Korea has been just trying to get the west to attack for the last while, kinda smells like a trap. :?
orald

Post by orald »

Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Looks like it's almost time for another "liberation"...

I agree, I don't like anyone having nukes, but there are some places I really don't want to have nukes. :shock: That said, it seems like North Korea has been just trying to get the west to attack for the last while, kinda smells like a trap. :?
A valid assessment of North Korea's recent behaviour... I think I agree with you. Shit-disturbers are what they are!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I say we let the Canadians take this one.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Looks like it's almost time for another "liberation"...

A valid assessment of North Korea's recent behaviour... I think I agree with you. Shit-disturbers are what they are!
I think it's just a showdown of power to use as an economic leverage...they NEED money more than they need a war...
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:I say we let the Canadians take this one.
You want us to unleash Hypatia? :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Can't wait for the new movie... :)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Rakis wrote:

Wait... This is in the Berg Dune movie?! :shock:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:
Rakis wrote:

Wait... This is in the Berg Dune movie?! :shock:
That's a seaworm from a movie about Sandworms of Dune.

:wink:
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

He's talking about a proposed remake of Clash of the Titans.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

GamePlayer wrote:He's talking about a proposed remake of Clash of the Titans.
Oh really? :roll: