Beers of the US that I must try?

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

SimonH

Beers of the US that I must try?

Post by SimonH »

Hi All,

I'm going to be in the US for three weeks very soon. Fort Collins CO, to be precise.

I am very keen to sample the microbrewery beers that I have heard so much about. I'm looking for suggestions of the best that people have had. I'm sure a healthy beer intake will help cure my impending jet lag.

Any other travel suggestions are welcome too, if you know the area.

Thanks heaps
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

You should take the Coors tour in Golden, CO. It's free and you get three free beers at the end in a really nice tavern setting. Some of the beers they have there are pretty good.

I'd say it's about an hour, maybe an hour and a half away from Fort Collins.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Crysknife wrote:You should take the Coors tour in Golden, CO. It's free and you get three free beers at the end in a really nice tavern setting. Some of the beers they have there are pretty good.

I'd say it's about an hour, maybe an hour and a half away from Fort Collins.
Free beer. now you're talking :D

I'm not intending on hiring a car, but maybe I'll do so for a day or two if I'm not working over the weekends. Thanks for the suggestion!
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Anchor Steam from SF is one of the more unique beers produced here. I also think it is one of the best. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good one too. I like the flavor, but most ales sit in my stomach like a rock for too long. That one is worth it though. There will be local brewpubs were you are going too.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I don't know what the distribution is like in other parts of the country but there are two MN beers that are outstanding: Summit and Surly.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:I don't know what the distribution is like in other parts of the country but there are two MN beers that are outstanding: Summit and Surly.
Ive never heard of either of those before. Know if they can be gotten in Madison? Ill be there again this summer.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:I don't know what the distribution is like in other parts of the country but there are two MN beers that are outstanding: Summit and Surly.
Ive never heard of either of those before. Know if they can be gotten in Madison? Ill be there again this summer.
I'd be shocked if you couldn't get Summit. Surly is only a few years old, but growing very quickly. I just went on a tour of the brewery on Friday night. I had an interesting introduction to their coffee beer.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

If you are going to be up that way, go to the Odell brewing company. They have great beer, especially the 90 shilling ale and the IPA.

I also agree with Omph, Anchor Steam is actually one of the true American styles of beer--that is, a style specifically invented here. Its considered a "california common" because they patented the name "steam" so others can't use it. Anchor porter is a damn fine brew also.

Summit is the bomb BTW. I drink my weight in it everytime im in Minnesota.
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Got to drink that when I went up there last May, both were fantastic.

About a month after that I went to Denver and they also had some wonderful breweries.

Here in lovely Alabama the 'blue laws' are still in effect and they cannot build a brewery unless it was a brewery before the blue laws were enacted. :x

Hell we just started being able to buy beer on Sundays about 3 years ago. Sometimes I hate the south (sorry freak).
nymphitz

Post by nymphitz »

I'd be shocked if you couldn't get Summit. Surly is only a few years old, but growing very quickly. I just went on a tour of the brewery on Friday night. I had an interesting introduction to their coffee beer.
Half-Pints, Stir stick stout is Winnipeg's coffee beer. (Aswell they make a Bulldog Amber Ale which has a caramel aroma...) Drooling yet? 8)
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

This thread just made me wonder if you guys in the US get any aussie beers. If so which?

I can just imagine going over there for a holiday and not finding any (and therefore dying of thirst)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Foster's is big here. They've had a well-known advertising campaign for years, which (it seems) has helped them become pretty familiar to the average American yahoo.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

I figured. Its funny though, nobody drinks it here.

None of these look familiar?
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Fort Collins puts you in a comfortable radius of what is arguably the best craft beer region in the country. Odell's and New Belgium are both excellent breweries with beers you should be able to get locally. Seeing as we're entering spring, look for Maibock beers as well the early emerging Pale Ales. My experience with any craft brewer is that while often their everyday beers are good, the seasonals are where it's at.

Look for beers by these brewers:

In Fort Collins:
C.B. & Potts
CooperSmith's Brewing
Linden's Brewing Company
Old Colorado Brewing

Others:
Odell's
New Belgium
Sierra Nevada
Breckenridge
Flying Dog
Left Hand
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I see Asahi and Corona! :)

(I like Kirin or Yebisu better than Asahi. Suntory is piss water, won't touch it unless the alternative is water.)

Well, I'll be printing out that page and popping 'round to Ishikawa World Licquors tomorrow afternoon. :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:Foster's is big here. They've had a well-known advertising campaign for years, which (it seems) has helped them become pretty familiar to the average American yahoo.
Foster's has been brewed in Canada for years. My ex-wife's family (Australain) refused to touch the stuff after they started exclusively exporting to the States from Canada.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Lone Star.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

I thought Asahi was ok, not my favorite though. In fact, that page only shows some of the more popular beers.

This one is brewed in my city and easily beats any "fosters group" beer.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Spicelon wrote:Fort Collins puts you in a comfortable radius of what is arguably the best craft beer region in the country. Odell's and New Belgium are both excellent breweries with beers you should be able to get locally. Seeing as we're entering spring, look for Maibock beers as well the early emerging Pale Ales. My experience with any craft brewer is that while often their everyday beers are good, the seasonals are where it's at.

Look for beers by these brewers:

In Fort Collins:
C.B. & Potts
CooperSmith's Brewing
Linden's Brewing Company
Old Colorado Brewing

Others:
Odell's
New Belgium
Sierra Nevada
Breckenridge
Flying Dog
Left Hand
Cheers Spicelon. I'll be writing this list down before I go for beers today!

I had enough trouble buying milk last night (who cares if it has vitamin A or vitamin D!) so help with choice of beer is hugely appreciated.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

NotAbout wrote:I thought Asahi was ok, not my favorite though. In fact, that page only shows some of the more popular beers.

This one is brewed in my city and easily beats any "fosters group" beer.
I'm originally from perth, was in Freo over Christmas. My favourite WA beer is Ragin Bull from the bootleg brewery (Margaret River). Though the alcohol %age is up around 8 from memory, so you can't have many if you are driving.

I've also been drinking James Squire - Golden or Amber ale. Even my girl likes this and she doesn't drink beer otherwise.
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

SimonH wrote: I'm originally from perth, was in Freo over Christmas. My favourite WA beer is Ragin Bull from the bootleg brewery (Margaret River). Though the alcohol %age is up around 8 from memory, so you can't have many if you are driving.

I've also been drinking James Squire - Golden or Amber ale. Even my girl likes this and she doesn't drink beer otherwise.
Ah yes, I was down at bootleg for Australia day last year. Good stuff. Also James Squire... you're making me want to have one now.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Bought the 90 shiling ale from Odell's today

Nice beer. Full flavour, but not too heavy and is really smooth.

I didn't ask but seems that they only came as 6 packs or more. I'm used to being able to buy single beers to try. Maybe I should have asked :P. Oh well, will have to drink 6 of each or find a drinking partner or two.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SimonH wrote:Bought the 90 shiling ale from Odell's today

Nice beer. Full flavour, but not too heavy and is really smooth.

I didn't ask but seems that they only came as 6 packs or more. I'm used to being able to buy single beers to try. Maybe I should have asked :P. Oh well, will have to drink 6 of each or find a drinking partner or two.
I buy sixers which have mytseriously had their contents changed. Hmmm, I wonder how that happened?

;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.