Railguns!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Drunken Idaho

Railguns!

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I'm not much of a weapons enthusiast, but I thought some of you would appreciate this:

http://www.gizmag.com/us-office-of-nava ... gun/11035/

It seems developers have finally created a feasible railgun system! This thing can apparently send artillery at mach 5 speeds, which is pretty insane.

How long until we can get a handheld version?
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Rail Gun

In 1999, Dr. Khalid Ibrahim Sa’id — the head of Iraq’s pre-1991 nuclear weapons design and development program - initiated a project under the IAEC to develop a rail gun, an experimental device that, if further developed, could, in theory, have applications including nuclear weapons research and antiaircraft weapons. ISG determined that the rail gun project was aimed at providing Saddam with an anti-aircraft weapon to shoot down an enemy aircraft in the no-fly zone, which Saddam reportedly believed would render the no-fly zone ineffective and foster a change in political climate that would hasten the lifting of sanctions. Nevertheless, ISG acknowledged that the program preserved skills that could support a renewed nuclear weapons design effort. Another scientist in the program also acknowledged that one of Sa'id's goals for the project was to train a new generation of IAEC scientists in applied physics, which would certainly keep intellectual capital for any future nuclear program. ISG found only tenuous links, however, between the rail gun program and efforts at nuclear reconstitution.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world ... ke-isg.htm
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

:shock: Fuck!
Well, you learn something new everyday.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Rail guns are brilliant :) I wrote my A-Level physics essay on them.

Coil guns are cool as well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMTffRav-I
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

DuneFishUK wrote:Rail guns are brilliant :) I wrote my A-Level physics essay on them.

Coil guns are cool as well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMTffRav-I
Rail guns kick coil guns asses!

I love rail guns.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

I think of the game Quake!

Somebody help me understand the advantage of a rail gun over a normal gun. As far as I knew we cannot dodge bullets yet, but as just a fun thing to say hey that looks cool, I mean I get it. But whats the advatage point?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I love rail guns! Firing at 3,500 meters per second or more :)
I saw the video they posted of the rail gun firing some time early last year. It's really amazing. I always felt the rail gun was an underutilized science fiction weapon, at least in the big name franchises. It typically only gets exposure in video games and such. It's such a great concept for futuristic ballistic weapons, I'm really surprised it's not used more.
Last edited by GamePlayer on 04 Mar 2009 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I thougt I heard talk of the concept being used as a space delivery system. A rail gun launching pad, if you will.

Anyone else ever hear about that?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

GamePlayer wrote:I love rail guns! Firing at 3,500 meters per second or more :)
I saw the video the posted of the rail gun firing some time early last year. It's really amazing. I always felt the rail gun was an underutilized science fiction weapon, at least in the big name franchises. It typically only gets exposure in video games and such. It's such a great concept for futuristic ballistic weapons, I'm really surprised it's not used more.
I agree, way underused. Not that anyone's going to read my stuff anytime soon, but rail guns are the primary launch system for missiles(so they can fly "dark" and get close to the other ship before firing rockets, less chance of getting shot down, plus higher speeds etc), kinetic weapons (cannonballs in space... not the most usefull...), drones, and fighterships (all launched from the big interstellar ships) in my fictional universe.

Freakzilla wrote:I thougt I heard talk of the concept being used as a space delivery system. A rail gun launching pad, if you will.

I've heard of coilguns being used for this (in fiction), I guess railguns could work too. There's a proper term for this but I can't think of it right now.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:Anyone else ever hear about that?
Absolutely. Canadian Engineer Gerald Bull was almost as famous for research into superguns, space guns and other large scale ballistics as he was for his infamous personality and assassination. But Gerald Bull is just a more recent example of the concept which has been floating around since Jules Verne. I think A Thing of Eternity is right that it's coil guns that have been suggested as a new style of space gun for launching craft into orbit, but they are very similar concepts. It's a very innovative way of getting ships and materials out of the atmosphere. Perhaps a precursor to the space elevator.
Last edited by GamePlayer on 04 Mar 2009 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
A Thing of Eternity

Mass Driver. That's what it's called, knew it would come to me. Certainly might be a great way to get commerical satilites and such into orbit.
trang

Post by trang »

I worked on AV8-B harriers in the marine corps from 1991 to 1996. McDonald douglas was working on a belly mounted rail gun system for the Harrier to increase its close airsupport capabilities.

the gun for tha harrier is a detatchable and runs length of underbelly so had a lot of space to work with. Dont believe railgun ever got developed but was aimed at tank killing, and other troop support operations.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:I thougt I heard talk of the concept being used as a space delivery system. A rail gun launching pad, if you will.

Hmmm, the energy consumption would be epic, I imagine... But there would be no carbon emissions... I'd like to see this happen. A sling-shot into space!
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Drunken Idaho wrote:

Hmmm, the energy consumption would be epic, I imagine... But there would be no carbon emissions... I'd like to see this happen. A sling-shot into space!
Yah to overcome the g force vs. weight issues you are talking about one huge amount of sling in that shot.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You don't have to use it to get you all the way to space, it could be used like a catapult to achieve horizontal velocity, then fire the rockets and climb into orbit.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Heinlein used that concept in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It was intended to deliver products to the home planet, but it wound up becomining one of the Loonies main offensive weapons. Of course, they were launching from the Moon to Earth, but the concept is the same no matter what king of gravity well you are in.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Maybe that's where I heard about the idea. What did Jules Verne use, wasn't it like a giant cannon?
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That was my favorite concept from the book. RH put together a very vivid description of the size and sheer power of the launcher, too.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:Maybe that's where I heard about the idea. What did Jules Verne use, wasn't it like a giant cannon?
Yeah it was just a big gun. However, while the fiction of it was lacking, the concept of shooting things into space was a sound theory.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Heavy, dude.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"There's that word again; heavy. Is there something wrong with Earth's gravitational field in the future?" :P