Why Do You Keep Posting? Respect Us or Be Gone!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Mr. Teg

Why Do You Keep Posting? Respect Us or Be Gone!

Post by Mr. Teg »

I remember Byron or Spice Grandson or Ol'Prune Dude commented back on Dumbnovels that the fans who are unhappy with the new books are only a handful of disgruntled posters.

On the other hand, a close friend of mine, who is a sales rep for TOR and other publishers on the East Coast, commented with a grimace, "...the new books are Not Dune!"

Judging by what I've read elsewhere on the net and talking with friends and their friends, I would say the reaction of large number of readers was basically WTF and with a sigh or toss of the book(s) moved on...

The New Yorks Times didn't even bother to write a review of the Grand Finale.

Yet, we keep posting!

Why don't you just say phuck it and walk away or move on to something else like the majority of readers?

(The HLP and people like Byron wish you would. If you have nothing nice to say about the new books then please shut up and be gone, because you are not respecting our Legacy!)
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Me, I'm just a jealous hater. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

A good man must not only avoid doing evil, but must promote the doing of good and stop evil. That's why. :)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald wrote:A good man must not only avoid doing evil, but must promote the doing of good and stop evil. That's why. :)
Thank GAWD I'm a bug then! :D
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Thank GAWD I'm a bug then! :D
Thank God I'm evil then. :twisted:

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

What they cannot get their heads around is that we love their grandfather too. Only we respect him more.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:What they cannot get their heads around is that we love their grandfather too. Only we respect him more.
I'll agree with that. I think it's always worth struggling against the forces of evil even if I am doomed to failure. (Just like my Norse Ancestors :wink: ). I do also see a bit of comedy in the futility of it all, but I'm not going to let people forget that those books are shit and we all know it.
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:What they cannot get their heads around is that we love their grandfather too. Only we respect him more.
Too?! I thought we were the only ones to love him. :? :o

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

The "handful of disgruntled readers" is the company line; an attempt to rationalize and marginalize the strong negative response to the books. That's all it is.

Truth be told, no one but hardcore fans would keep the negative commentary of the KJA/BH books going because few care to dwell on poorly written books not worth distinction. Persistent negative comment doesn't occur on a broader scale because critics have already dismissed the prequel books and are onto other fare. The entertainment industry is based upon the moment; everything beyond that is trivia. The HLP embraces this system because persistence only affects "a few angry hardcore fans" decrying the legacy of greed, fan voices that are easily drowned out by glowing reviews from dubious publications that thrive by praising disposable entertainment. We're also treated to "Well, it sells and the buyers are happy", the age old cry of the successful seller of snake oil.

The Dune prequels sell because they are a brand and branded franchises are a dime a dozen in these mediocre times. But scratch beneath the surface, dig just a little deeper (something the average consumer does not care to do) and you'll find more criticism than you ever imagined. Such criticism is well deserved.

The Dune prequels are, and forever will be, critical failures by any credible literary benchmark and disposable, forgettable product by any entertainment benchmark. Don't be fooled by marketing machines that heap praise upon a product regardless of quality; don't buy into a product who's only virtue is completing the promotion circuit; don't bother with reviews written to help sell product. This is the kind of spin we live in today, so don't be spun.

I close with a worthy paraphrase...

No matter how much prestige the HLP tries to buy, they'll never have the respect Frank Herbert has earned.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

GamePlayer wrote:I close with a worthy paraphrase...

No matter how much prestige the HLP tries to buy, they'll never have the respect Frank Herbert has earned.
I like that quote!
CHOAM
orald

Post by orald »

Well, there's no other way, we must start a guerilla campaign against the Harkonnen scum, the HLP.
Freak, d'you have any explosives knowledge? :P

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I just come here to spy on all you haters. :twisted:
orald

Post by orald »

Kill the infidel! :evil:

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

orald wrote:Well, there's no other way, we must start a guerilla campaign against the Harkonnen scum, the HLP.
Freak, d'you have any explosives knowledge? :P
Yes, but not that I would ever use.
orald

Post by orald »

Well, nobody asked you to use it...just spread the knowledge for all mankind to benefit. :)

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"One can make all kinds of explosives using simple household items. If one were so inclined."

hehehe :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't have any of that kind of training. There's no shortage of explosives in the Army.

"There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives."

:P
Freakzilla

Re: Why Do You Keep Posting? Respect Us or Be Gone!

Post by Freakzilla »

Mr. Teg wrote:I remember Byron or Spice Grandson or Ol'Prune Dude commented back on Dumbnovels that the fans who are unhappy with the new books are only a handful of disgruntled posters.

On the other hand, a close friend of mine, who is a sales rep for TOR and other publishers on the East Coast, commented with a grimace, "...the new books are Not Dune!"

Judging by what I've read elsewhere on the net and talking with friends and their friends, I would say the reaction of large number of readers was basically WTF and with a sigh or toss of the book(s) moved on...

The New Yorks Times didn't even bother to write a review of the Grand Finale.

Yet, we keep posting!

Why don't you just say phuck it and walk away or move on to something else like the majority of readers?

(The HLP and people like Byron wish you would. If you have nothing nice to say about the new books then please shut up and be gone, because you are not respecting our Legacy!)
I mainly desire to discuss FH's Dune, but sometimes I just can't resist an easy shot at the Preeks.

Especially when they talk about some inconsistancy like it's cannon.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

I guess at the end of the day, I'm hanging around to see if they finally release Brian!
CHOAM
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Poor little nappy headed guy's been tied up to that chair down in the basement for a long time now, huh? :cry:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:Poor little nappy headed guy's been tied up to that chair down in the basement for a long time now, huh? :cry:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
He's probably babbling away like that one yellow tang fish that had been in the dentist's office fish tank too long in Nemo.

"Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles!!!!"

"Dune 2!"
CHOAM
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Reminds me...I need to tape those new files of Brian linked to from the MySpace page. Haven't had the fortitude to sit through listening to them yet....
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Reminds me...I need to tape those new files of Brian linked to from the MySpace page. Haven't had the fortitude to sit through listening to them yet....
Speaking of tape...

What about Podcast? :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well...Mr Teg actually made the trek up from the Palmeries today but unfortunately I was in the last stages of moving into the new office and the "unthinking machine" looked like it had been through a Jihad party and was strewn all over the place.

So...the long and the short and the thin and the skinny on it is...nothing coming for a while. Sorry.

But...on the plus side...the more time we have, the more frightening the things we're coming up with. :D

(Teg had like five double espressos at the French place again today...it wasn't pretty afterwards. :shock: )
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I don't know. I've sort of given up on the crusade, but I hang around for the company. It's not like there's much of a war, since the Dune fandom is all segregated now, with very little crossover.

I'm sure my original reason for jumping in and sticking around had more to do with the enjoyment of arguing with preeks than any conviction that I might change things.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.