Your Favorite FH Book Outside Dune?

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

filmprog

Your Favorite FH Book Outside Dune?

Post by filmprog »

My favorite book outside Dune that Frank Herbert wrote is The Dosadi Experiment.

I just love me some Jorj X. McKie and Calebans.
Fear is the mind-killer. I must not fear.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm a The Jesus Incident guy.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

The Consentiency Universe was really fun, but weird as all hell. I think I liked Whipping Star better than Dosadi. It was more of a cohesive read. And those two short stories just weirded me out.

So yeah, Whipping Star takes the cake.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Dosadi or Incident ... although I haven't reread the latter in a long while.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Some of the other things Herbert wrote I cannot stand. I like his body of short fiction, what of it I have read. Im getting into the McKie stuff. Santaroga and the native american book he wrote were decent. Soul Catcher, I think it was called.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I'm almost finished with The Jesus Incident (the only Other book by FH I've read). I like it a lot so far.. don't know if I'm going to like the ending.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Mandy, when have you ever known FH's books not to have a Happy Ending. :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(InnerGothGirl just put you on her hit list. :shock: )
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

:)

The ending wasn't too bad.. a little cheesy, but I appreciate the fact that FH liked to explore philosophical ideas in his fiction. Free will is one of my favorite brain twisters.

Now I want to read the rest of the Destination: Void series.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote::)

The ending wasn't too bad.. a little cheesy, but I appreciate the fact that FH liked to explore philosophical ideas in his fiction. Free will is one of my favorite brain twisters.

Now I want to read the rest of the Destination: Void series.
Couldn't get into void. Seemed rather bare when I read it, although that was 20 years ago. Or seems like 20.

Like the McKie stuff, and I liked The White Plague.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

D:V wasn't the easiest read.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

No, but if you can get past the technobable it is a great story.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

The Pandora series is my second favorite series after dune. All of the books are great and have some pretty wild stuff that can actually be a bit disturbing, Mutants tend to cause some visual moments of "wish i never thought about that" But the story is fantastic and Ship is one of the most interesting characters, comparable only to LetoII.

But for a stand alone book, Hellstrom's Hive is a real mind bender. IMO also something that Frank might have, wanted to or thought about incorporating in to dune, I have no proof of this, but Frank had a passion about the concept of a Hive Mind. My own personal feeling is that Duncan had begun to tap into a hive mind. This is a whole other topic and discussion I will detail my theory later on, even as the possible end result of the GP. But yeah, Hellstrom's Hive is one hell of a read!
Sev

Post by Sev »

Dragon in the Sea for me - good psychological SF from a time when most SF was still rather pulpish, though The Jesus Incident comes close, with the hellish predators of Pandora. The only good thing to come from the KJA/BH abominations for me, is Tor re-releasing a lot of Franks earlier fiction, including the two I've yet to read, Hellstrom's Hive and The Whipping Star.
A Thing of Eternity

I have a really neat first print hardcover of this book (with a weird miss-printed cover), but I haven't found the time to read it yet. I've only read the excerp that was in one of his short collections. Looked good.

EDIT: and welcome to Jacurutu.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sev wrote:Dragon in the Sea for me - good psychological SF from a time when most SF was still rather pulpish, though The Jesus Incident comes close, with the hellish predators of Pandora. The only good thing to come from the KJA/BH abominations for me, is Tor re-releasing a lot of Franks earlier fiction, including the two I've yet to read, Hellstrom's Hive and The Whipping Star.
Welcome!

Please post in the "Introduce Yourself" topic, if you'd like.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Sev wrote:Dragon in the Sea for me - good psychological SF from a time when most SF was still rather pulpish, though The Jesus Incident comes close, with the hellish predators of Pandora. The only good thing to come from the KJA/BH abominations for me, is Tor re-releasing a lot of Franks earlier fiction, including the two I've yet to read, Hellstrom's Hive and The Whipping Star.
Go for Hellstorm's Hive first it is a real page turner. Welcome as well.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

The Consentiency Universe.
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
Schu

Re: Your Favorite FH Book Outside Dune?

Post by Schu »

The White Plague, closely followed by the Santaroga Barrier.
theGombeenMan

Post by theGombeenMan »

Destination:Void for me ...the last line; totally unexpected. it was so great plus the examination of consciousness is exciting throughout
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

theGombeenMan wrote:Destination:Void for me ...the last line; totally unexpected. it was so great plus the examination of consciousness is exciting throughout
Not read D:V yet... Must.. resist.. urge to look at last line...
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Trust me and resist the temptation :wink: .

The only books of Frank's I've gotten my hands on so far are Destination: Void and The Jesus Incident and they are amongst my favourites. Just bought the Lazarus Effect on Ebay so I'm going to give that a go soon. Destination: Void really twisted my brain when I first read it :crazy:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
trang

Post by trang »

Consentient Universe second to Dune.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I haven't read anything else by Frank Herbert, and it sounds like The Jesus Incident would be a good place to start(?)
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

merkin muffley wrote:I haven't read anything else by Frank Herbert, and it sounds like The Jesus Incident would be a good place to start(?)
Destination: Void comes before The Jesus Incident but its not completely necessary to the story; it's probably the best in the series though(in my opinion), so if you get a chance you should go for it.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity