Dune Commandments

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

leto247

Dune Commandments

Post by leto247 »

Well, i don´t know where to put this topic. It ended here even if it is not meant to be about "Religions of Dune" but "religion about dune".
I know all the Dune saga and most of Frank Herbert´s philosophy was precisely against blindly following a religion and prefixated concepts, becouse The mind of the believer stagnates. It fails to grow outward into an unlimited, infinite universe. Buuuuuuuut i also know that he wasn´t trying to start a cult soooo we dont have why to follow all his opinions to the letter. (does this even make sense? :D )
So, if you had to distill the very essence of the Dune saga in some thou-shalt-style phrases, what would come into your mind?
I will begin with my proposal:

- Universe always changes. Adapt yourself.
- Make no heroes. Follow no leaders.

Any more?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'd take out "follow no leaders" - maybe
"follow no leaders blindly"
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Thou shalt not try to swallow in a dry throat.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Thou shalt not blindly follow traditions.

Thou shalt not fear change.
Sole Man

On Though shalt not

Post by Sole Man »

Though shalt not write and ass load of Prequels/sequels/interquels to fatten thyne own wallet.

This is kind of a contradiction in terms, no?
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Thou shalt not mindlessly follow THE RULES and commit the cardinal sin of using THE RULES as an excuse to stifle debate.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
mrpsbrk

Post by mrpsbrk »

Man, the litany against fear, most, most, most definitely.

I agree with you that this is a topic without a forum to be in -- we need a forum about the meaning of dune, instead of it's plot -- even more because the GP is only a plot element hahahahahahhaha!

I would like to try to answer that question with a bit more time on my hands, but for now i'll go with:
Frank Herbert in God Emperor of Dune wrote:Siona glared at him, thinking of the old Fremen words from the Oral History: "Once you acquire a marketplace soul, the suk is the totality of existence."
Frank Herbert in God Emperor of Dune wrote:"In the view of Infinity, any defined long-term is shortterm."

"Then are there no rules at all, Lord?" Moneo's voice conveyed a faint hint of hysteria.

Leto smiled to ease the man's tensions. "Perhaps one. Short-term decisions tend to fail in the long-term."
(But in this sense the quote Freak found is better)
Frank Herbert in God Emperor of Dune wrote:"All of us try to evolve, but if something blocks us, we can transfer our potential into pain -- seeking it or giving it. Adolescents are particularly vulnerable."
Marcio (mrpsbrk) does believe in Lord Leto over all other wills and reasons ;-)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

hear that last one, Sloey ?

Frank understands, and it's all gonna be alright ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
leto247

Post by leto247 »

mrpsbrk wrote: I agree with you that this is a topic without a forum to be in -- we need a forum about the meaning of dune, instead of it's plot -- even more because the GP is only a plot element hahahahahahhaha!
Yes, that would be great.
mrpsbrk

Post by mrpsbrk »

If we expanded the breadth of the project to not only Herbert but sci-fi, we could do some darn good puns on scientology ;-) But it would probably be impossible to sort which author is "followable" and which isn't.

I am wondering if the OP thought about this thing more on a "oral history" style of thing or more on a "orange catholic" one. As in, trying to make pick the "central" teachings and working from that or trying to gather as much of the richness as possible in a long (and so not-as-focused) corpus?
Marcio (mrpsbrk) does believe in Lord Leto over all other wills and reasons ;-)