The Ascension Factor

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mr. Teg

The Ascension Factor

Post by Mr. Teg »

1989 Edition by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom

copyright Theresa Shackelford and Dell Call and Bill Ransom

Introduction

When Frank and I began The Jesus Incident series in 1978 we made only one agreement: that our work together would be fun, that at no time would the story interfere with friendship. We shook on that, as fellow natives of the Puyallup valley are accustomed to do. We had been friends for a long time, and intended to keep the friendship. Writing a book together, like buying a car together, was something we approached with due caution.

It was a little like getting married, this coauthor business. As it turns out, each book in the series was marked by a personal tragedy for one or the other of us, bt our stories saved us. Over fifteen years I never laughed so hard or so often with anyone as I did working with Frank. The Ascension Factor, a book that we had planned to enjoy together, weathered the greatest tragedy of them all. The book goes on. I guess that's the way it is with writers.

Frank worked through the plotting and character development of The Ascension Factor, but circumstances left the last writing chore to me. After all these years it was easy to keep him here, looking over my shoulder, muttering one-liners as I wrote up the lat of what we'd started. My greatest fear was that I would love that sense of presence, of good companionship, when this book ended. With Frank, of all people, I should have known better.

Bill Ransom
Port Townsend

Different isn't it?
As opposed to what Brian has written (whined) in DoD....such as Frank monopolizing the dinner conversation.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I've mentioned before that the vibe I got from reading passages in Dreamer of Dune where Brian writes about the collaboration between his father and Ransom made me wonder if he wasn't jealous of how well they got along.

Ransom was 33 when The Jesus Incident came out. He was born in 1945, Brian in 1947.

At that age, a difference of two years doesn't amount to much. But oh what a difference between the two! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'll often monopolize a dinner conversation -
if I'm seated at a table full of morons.

Intelligent discussion requires more than one smart person -
otherwise, it's just a lecture.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Schu

Post by Schu »

I'd monopolise a dinner conversation with KJA & BH. The more I talk, the less they talk!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Anything you can do to stop that hiking bastard from talking has my blessing.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

I just finished The Ascension Factor and realized what was so familiar.

KJA basically copied The Ascension Factor for his book Blindfold (The same book that Byron said was the deciding factor in hiring Kevin).
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SadisticCynic

Re: The Ascension Factor

Post by SadisticCynic »

Spoilers!

I finished The Ascension Factor a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. Some of the ideas are quite enjoyable and it has one of those both 'open and closed' endings (sorry don't know how else to describe it). The main arc of the story, humans forming a superego consciousness like Avata, was accomplished and so this is the end. But this consciousness has only just been achieved, so it is also a beginning. I also really enjoyed Flattery's psychological role. I guess I had read reviews that this one was not that good and it defied expectation.

One question though, is there any significance in the new Voidship being called Nietzsche? I haven't read any of his work, all I really know is he had a weird mustache.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That's weird, I don't remember Ship being called that. He was an existentialist if I recall rightly, and a very cynical, negative one from what I remember. I could be wrong though, it's been a LONG time, and I barely read much of his work (got tired of it). A lot of philosophers end up missing the whole point in my opinion, spend too much time looking at life under a microscope and miss the big picture.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:That's weird, I don't remember Ship being called that. He was an existentialist if I recall rightly, and a very cynical, negative one from what I remember. I could be wrong though, it's been a LONG time, and I barely read much of his work (got tired of it). A lot of philosophers end up missing the whole point in my opinion, spend too much time looking at life under a microscope and miss the big picture.
Sorry, not Ship (=God) but the new Voidship being built by Flattery. The original MoonBase construction (if it can be called original), which became Ship was named Earthling and colloquially the Tin Egg.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That's right, it time for a re-read obviously! :oops: