Axis and Allies

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Tyrant

Axis and Allies

Post by Tyrant »

last night i played axis and allies for the first time...played 2 games...one 5 hour game ...and one 10 hour game... man that game kicked ass..i love good strategy games.. and i think thus far this is my favorite
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I'm not really a fan of Axis and Allies, but that is probably because it's so long and every move takes "forever." I just played a 6-hour game of Samurai Swords and didn't finish it because someone had to catch a 1:32 AM train back to NYC.

I do enjoy strategy games like the different incarnations of Risk, History of the World, and Fortress America. I recently got the games Tannhauser and A Game of Thrones, but I haven't gotten a chance to read the rules yet.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Sole Man

ON something completely different.

Post by Sole Man »

I'm thinking of writing a story about a man who has a conversation with his sperm trying to see if they want to be born or not.

Yes, No, maybe?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I liked Diplomacy. In my final year at school we had a game going - it was brilliant. You'd spend the entire day telling France you'd support him into Tyrolia... then do completely the opposite :twisted:

Loverly game mechanics/design too :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

DuneFishUK wrote:I liked Diplomacy. In my final year at school we had a game going - it was brilliant. You'd spend the entire day telling France you'd support him into Tyrolia... then do completely the opposite :twisted:

Loverly game mechanics/design too :)
My friend has that game and I've been meaning to try it, but we always seem to fall back on the same tried-and-true games.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Tleszer wrote:Fortress America.
I really want to give this one a shot. And it's readily available on eBay ... hmmm, what's stopping me? I don't know.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sole Man

On diplomacy

Post by Sole Man »

We played Diplomacy last in 7th grade, social studies class. (Twice) I had a good time with it, though I was playing with a bunch of idiots who really didn't know what they were doing and things kept getting stupid. Annoying teenagers...someone should kill those people.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Tleszer wrote:I'm not really a fan of Axis and Allies, but that is probably because it's so long and every move takes "forever." I just played a 6-hour game of Samurai Swords and didn't finish it because someone had to catch a 1:32 AM train back to NYC.

I do enjoy strategy games like the different incarnations of Risk, History of the World, and Fortress America. I recently got the games Tannhauser and A Game of Thrones, but I haven't gotten a chance to read the rules yet.
i enjoy risk as well...but its not near as good..it doesn require half the intelligience... lets put it this way.. risk is to kjas wargame as axis and allies is to frank herberts wargame.. risk is basically axis and allies dumbed way the hell down (and not set during the ww2 war period... and lets face it...ww2 is way more kick ass)
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Tyrant wrote:
Tleszer wrote:I'm not really a fan of Axis and Allies, but that is probably because it's so long and every move takes "forever." I just played a 6-hour game of Samurai Swords and didn't finish it because someone had to catch a 1:32 AM train back to NYC.

i enjoy risk as well...but its not near as good..it doesn require half the intelligience... lets put it this way.. risk is to kjas wargame as axis and allies is to frank herberts wargame.. risk is basically axis and allies dumbed way the hell down (and not set during the ww2 war period... and lets face it...ww2 is way more kick ass)
WW2 sucks, if only because there are too many games around that setting. I'd rather play something different.

I know what you mean about Risk, especially the original game, but each new version expands upon the simple premise, such as having generals with unique abilities or cards that could drastically change the gameboard.

The thing I dislike about Axis and Allies is that I don't want to play for 10 hours just to get to an end-game; at least for me everyone becomes frustrated/focused and it becomes less fun. With other, shorter games there can also be some less tension and more wisecracks can be made.

And yes, I do realize Risk doesn't take a genius to play but it does take some strategy. Your comparison to KJA's writing is flawed, however, because there is no thinking required by his stories whereas some thinking is needed to actually play one of the Risk games. It's usually more than just rolling dice, though you can never tell with the baboons you play with. :wink:

I actually enjoy History of the World more because each turn brings with it a certain randomness because where one receives his armies is dependent on where another player wants him to start, trying to control how many armies the other person gets, or giving him a starting zone that forces him to be the last the player to go.
Sole Man

on wars

Post by Sole Man »

I like 'Nam.
trang

Post by trang »

Look up on the web Avalon Hill Game Company. Produced a slew of WW2 games (Panzer Leader, Squadleader, The Longest Day, The Third Reich), but also did other games, IIRC Diplomacy is one of their games as well.

Some Sci-Fi and Fantasy stuff... Titan, Starship Troopers, Gladiator, and Obviously the DUNE board Game.

I found a link for the Dune board game converted to a web site, I dont have it here at work but do at home.

The game the Longest Day is listed in the rulebook as 64hours to complete, talk about some gaming. My freind I would set it up and play it over two weekends when I was a kid.

Fun Fun Stuff,
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

trang wrote:I found a link for the Dune board game converted to a web site, I dont have it here at work but do at home.
That sounds like the Dune Emulator:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~monalisa/Dune/
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sole Man

on The longest day boardgame

Post by Sole Man »

trang wrote: The game the Longest Day is listed in the rulebook as 64hours to complete, talk about some gaming. My freind I would set it up and play it over two weekends when I was a kid.

Trang
Sounds like the longest two and a half days.

Yeah, I made a joke that corny. Cringe in pain all ye who look upon it!
:twisted:
DuneFishUK

Re: on The longest day boardgame

Post by DuneFishUK »

Sole Man wrote:
trang wrote: The game the Longest Day is listed in the rulebook as 64hours to complete, talk about some gaming. My freind I would set it up and play it over two weekends when I was a kid.

Trang
Never even heard of that one... but it sounds brilliant :D

That was the best thing about when I played Diplomacy at school - we only did orders once every one or two days... so it lasted ages, and you could get involved with it on a level not possible if you were just playing something in one sitting.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -