Shut Up, Byron

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Okay, good mornin' chilluns.

The First thing is : you people post too damn much.It's taking me too long to read all this drivel, and there'e just too many members. Even Merritt's board has picked up activity and members, and it CERTAINLY takes too long to wade thru THAT bullshit. I shall henceforth be attending only to the House Atreides board.

I went to the LittleBigTown last night for the Sons Of Confederate Veterans Christmas Banquet, in full dress regalia and sabre. I received a beautiful plaque for some of the things I did this year, but, as I had been drinking early in the day, was too toasted to say much - actually teared up a little. (Pictures were taken, Chig, but the ones I've seen so far are terrible - little digital cameras inside a large area with lots of decorative lights. However, I will try to get one that's not too bad and post it, so you can see my Western Theater Dress Butternuts.)(And before you people start, "Butternut" is a color, a light tan, the color the Confederates wore in the Western Theater)(perverts.)

Afterwards, a few of us went to the historic downtown area, in full dress, and drank until we were tossed out, which in this part of the world is 2am. (Sabers were drawn at various points in the night)

I said all that to say this : I got home sometime after 3am, and found this:
Schu wrote:I decided to post in reply:
Can we please, as a community, move past this kind of idea, the "OMG if this was in KJA/BH's work you'd be screaming blue murder" thing?
The truth of it, at least for me is: &etc.
I read this over no less than ten times. I started an angry, drunken response, then thought better of it, because I still did not understand the point. (BTW, Schu, if I ever do attack you unnecessarily in a drunken fit, I apologise now. Not saying that it will happen, but there is always the possibility.)

So I am glad I did decide to just pass out in the hallway instead of posting last night. I had assumed, given your participation Over There, that you were familar with this board.
Schu wrote:Nope, but maybe I should have made a new thread in DN.
Right. And coupled with your "What Rankles" post, I think I now have an idea of where you are coming from.
Spicelon wrote:
SandRider wrote:GODDAMNIT! SOMEBODY TAKE MY KEYBOARD AWAY !
I fucking typoed the fucking topic title, and I know DAMN WELL
that can't be fixed ! FUUUCK !
Omph, delete this whole ill-advised drunken trhead, and I'll try again later
I participate in quite a few php boards where as the topic starter you can
edit your original subject line. Is that not possible here?
Yes, you can. I didn't know that - other boards I've dealt with can be edited everywhere BUT that topic line. I had originally typoed "Shut Up, Bryon". Omph changed it to "Farok's Arm", and once I realised I could change the title, did. I intended this to be a "Shut Up, Byron" Thread, posting Merritt's comments that would elicit that response. (That was also part of the rant I did not post last night - I wasn't talking about Frank's "inconsistencies" or that controversy, I was more pointing out Merritt's bullshit attitude.)
Baraka Bryan wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:if the word is "Orthodox Herbertarian" (OH), why the plural couldn't be OHs?
(Orthodox HerbertarianS) (???)
That, my friend, would make too much sense. :lol:
(I think/hope he used "OHian(s)" to point out how stupid "OH'er" is. ;) )
OH is the proper noun, OHs is the plural version. case closed.
I agree with this, and have for some time. I also like "The OH" as a collective plural, or whatever, altho I know it wouldn't be grammatically correct. Whatever, anything but "OHers".

Have goodday, chilluns !
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Schu

Post by Schu »

SandRider wrote:I said all that to say this : I got home sometime after 3am, and found this:
Schu wrote:I decided to post in reply:
Can we please, as a community, move past this kind of idea, the "OMG if this was in KJA/BH's work you'd be screaming blue murder" thing?
The truth of it, at least for me is: &etc.
I read this over no less than ten times. I started an angry, drunken response, then thought better of it, because I still did not understand the point. (BTW, Schu, if I ever do attack you unnecessarily in a drunken fit, I apologise now. Not saying that it will happen, but there is always the possibility.)

So I am glad I did decide to just pass out in the hallway instead of posting last night. I had assumed, given your participation Over There, that you were familar with this board.
Schu wrote:Nope, but maybe I should have made a new thread in DN.
Right. And coupled with your "What Rankles" post, I think I now have an idea of where you are coming from.
That was... interesting. Well, I'll make sure to ignore any hypothetical future drunken attacks from you then! I'm just wondering what *did* get you angry about my post in your drunken state? I'm a little confused, though amused too :P
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

You didn't butter his nuts properly.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

ZING! :lol:

(Say hi to FantaPop for all of us, SR! ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sole Man

On Sandrider's girlfreind

Post by Sole Man »

Mandy...I thought you was dead.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Not yet!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Over There » For Lovers of Classic Dune Only » FH inconsistencies // today
arnoldo wrote:
Schu wrote:. . So can we please move on??
Moving on, in the Appendix II: Religion of Dune we have the following quote that implies there has never been rain clouds on Arrakis.
The most common example is the Hymn to Water, a direct copy from the Orange Catholic Liturgical Manual, calling for rain clouds which Arrakis had never seen.
Yet, IIRC, in other books it's stated that Arrakis was once a wet planet which would indicate that there was some kind of water cycle established on Arrakis. . .
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Sole Man

on those assholes

Post by Sole Man »

Holy shit, they know what a water cycle is?

Pretards are smarter than I thought...What if they're evovling? This could be very dangerous...

Let's add in some comedy: Mandy knows how to butter his nuts...

And how to lick 'em dry!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Consider the history of FantomAss: You mess with Mandy at your own peril, Sloey.

And speaking of other idiots...

What the fuck is wrong with arnoldo? Has his brain gotten smaller or something? Read what he quoted in context:
Appendix II: The Religion of Dune

Before the coming of Muad'Dib, the Fremen of Arrakis practiced a religion whose roots in the Maometh Saari are there for any scholar to see. Many have traced the extensive borrowings from other religions. The most common example is the Hymn to Water, a direct copy from the Orange Catholic Liturgical Manual, calling for rain clouds which Arrakis had never seen. But there are more profound points of accord between the Kitab al-Ibar of the Fremen and the teachings of Bible, Ilm, and Fiqh.
OK, this is really simple. (So why don't the simple understand?) The part I have underlined indicates that this appendix (like all the others) is an in-universe text, written by someone in the Duniverse.

The part arnoldo quoted out of context points out that the "Hymn to Water" was borrowed from the OCLM because it mentions rain clouds, which no Fremen had ever seen on Arrakis.

Now the hard part: the writer of this text was not familiar with the story of Pardot Kynes's discovery of the salt pans (recounted in Appendix I) nor privy to Leto II's observation that the sandtrout had been brought to a water-rich world in the distant past.

The truth of the planet's history was not common knowledge.

Farok's magical arm is an inconsistency. This isn't.

Next?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:What the fuck is wrong with arnoldo?
I don't understand the question :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Quite. :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I'm surprised that arnoldo didn't say "The Muad'dib.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

or "The Maudib" ....
ImageImage

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Farok's magical arm is an inconsistency.
That's not an inconsistancy, Farok had three arms. :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

nuthin' in the text says he doesn't !
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ugh. :roll:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I ALMOST miss him...

But then my memory kicks back in.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

SandChigger wrote:Consider the history of FantomAss: You mess with Mandy at your own peril, Sloey.
I am a bad ass! :)

Sloey is safe with me. I've loved him for at least a year, I used to lurk at dumbnovels just so I could read his brilliant posts. Besides, Sloey goes after everyone equally, Fandumbass made it a point to suck up to everyone except me and I just couldn't have that!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Consider the history of FantomAss: You mess with Mandy at your own peril, Sloey.
I am a bad ass! :)

Sloey is safe with me. I've loved him for at least a year, I used to lurk at dumbnovels just so I could read his brilliant posts. Besides, Sloey goes after everyone equally, Fandumbass made it a point to suck up to everyone except me and I just couldn't have that!
I still say it was your nipples. He just could not deal with them. They frightened him.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Their poke-yer-eyes-out pertness is somewhat daunting, you must admit. :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've done this one before, but now adding the "When I was writing Dune" quote, which specifically contridicts That Asshole. The Dune Genesis quote, I believe, is actually talking about the three "books" in Dune itself {Dune/MuadiDib/The Prophet} - altho the quote from the Turner Vertex interview muddies the water...still, the point is made - That Asshole is an asshole.
HERBERT: .... I sat down and I plotted a much longer work than Dune.
VERTEX: Dune is a pretty long work to begin with.
HERBERT: I know! It was much longer. I cut it up into three parts, and held out more than a third of it for the first book.

:The Vertex (Turner) Interview, October 1973
Dune began with a concept whose mostly unfleshed images took shape across about six years of research and one and a half years of writing. The story was all in my head until it appeared on paper as I typed it out. How did it evolve? I conceived of a long novel, the whole trilogy as one book about the messianic convulsions that periodically overtake us.

:Frank Herbert, Dune Genesis, Omni Magazine, July 1980
Parts of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were written before Dune was completed. They fleshed out more in the writing, but the essential story remained intact.

: Frank Herbert, When I was writing Dune , April 1984
Over There >> For Lovers of Classic Dune Only >> Heresy ! // 15 Jan 2008
Loremaster wrote: Byron, do you know if Frank had already written/outlined much of messiah when writing Dune? And which parts necessarily? (having written about the conspiracy etc or chanis death doesnt necessarily mean the universe's perception of Paul had shifted like it had)
That Asshole wrote:After he'd finished Dune, he began thinking about what happened to Paul and the Fremen (he told me this once). He hadn't written anything about Messiah while writing Dune.

"Respect for the truth comes close to being the basis for all morality." - some guy named Frank .....
ImageImage

Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Byron...Just shut the fuck up already! Lying PR tool! That article about a book on mediocracy is right:
"The main distinguishing feature of the mediocratic ethic is dishonesty. Mediocracy stresses the importance of one thing while engendering its opposite. Some of the time this dishonesty is concealed. But, as in Orwell’s 1984, mediocracy’s ability to brandish contradictions is also part of its power."
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

The fact that the original, massive first draft of Dune was broken up into smaller parts is known by even casual SF fans. It's never been a secret.

The only two remaining mysteries here are:

1. How FH's own blood could be so damn clueless about the subject?

2. Why, on a board where he deletes entire threads without provocation, has he not just deleted a passage that makes him look like an asshat?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Their poke-yer-eyes-out pertness is somewhat daunting, you must admit. :P
I fear not the nipple. I...embrace them!

Goodnight Golden Path!