On why I think DUNE could be made into a great movie

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

This shouldn't even be one movie. It really should receive the "Lord of the Rings" treatment: a trilogy. Separate the films along the lines of the "books" within "Dune" itself. So we'd end up with three films...

"Dune -- Arrakis"... about the moving of the Atreides family from Caladan to Arrakis. Introduce the setting and tell the tragic story of the doomed noble house. End just as "Book 1: Dune" does, with the entranced mentat-mode Paul telling his mother the immediate future -- that they will find a home among the Fremen, who will call him Muad'dib.

"Dune -- Muad'dib"... Paul and Jessica escape the massacre of the Atreides forces and make their home among the Fremen. Paul meets and marries Chani. Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother.

"Dune -- The Prophet"... the Desert War begins. Paul and Gurney are reunited. Paul becomes a sandrider. The Kwisatz Haderach takes over the universe through hydrolic despotism. etc. etc.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You're assuming that the movie is really going to have something to do with Frank Herbert's book, of course. ;)

Oooh, Peter Berg, show me sompthin MUSCULAR! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Was there a book called just Dune? Hmmm, haven't heard of it.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:GP, I forget, have you seen Hancock yet? Or are you forgoing that ... "pleasure"?

EDIT

Oooh, Peter Berg, show me sompthin MUSCULAR!
If you really want to classify Hancock as sci-fi... :)

Maybe Berg would show you something muscular, if you asked really nice and purchased him dinner first. But paying the price of admission to get fucked by a lousy film is probably cheaper and a lot more fun :wink: :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

moreh_yeladim wrote:This shouldn't even be one movie. It really should receive the "Lord of the Rings" treatment: a trilogy. Separate the films along the lines of the "books" within "Dune" itself. So we'd end up with three films...

"Dune -- Arrakis"... about the moving of the Atreides family from Caladan to Arrakis. Introduce the setting and tell the tragic story of the doomed noble house. End just as "Book 1: Dune" does, with the entranced mentat-mode Paul telling his mother the immediate future -- that they will find a home among the Fremen, who will call him Muad'dib.

"Dune -- Muad'dib"... Paul and Jessica escape the massacre of the Atreides forces and make their home among the Fremen. Paul meets and marries Chani. Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother.

"Dune -- The Prophet"... the Desert War begins. Paul and Gurney are reunited. Paul becomes a sandrider. The Kwisatz Haderach takes over the universe through hydrolic despotism. etc. etc.
hmmm, wasn't that the treatment of the mini-series?

My Point is: I don't think a trilogy would work. The "Dune: Muad'dib" part don't have the action and cliffhanger necessary to make it as entire movie. Notice that I'm thinking as a Hollywood Producer.

I find a duology the best way to make this movie right.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote: hmmm, wasn't that the treatment of the mini-series?
Pretty much.
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:My Point is: I don't think a trilogy would work. The "Dune: Muad'dib" part don't have the action and cliffhanger necessary to make it as entire movie. Notice that I'm thinking as a Hollywood Producer.
Not thinking hard enough. Pull a LotR and rearrange and expand minor plot elements, as well as things that are "off-camera" in the book, so as to make the action scene a major climax of the first film, and then stick other crap into the next movie.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Sole Man

on Dune

Post by Sole Man »

7Make every other book first. Then go back and do the orginal, citing it as a reamke. That's th eway to go.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote: hmmm, wasn't that the treatment of the mini-series?
Pretty much.
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:My Point is: I don't think a trilogy would work. The "Dune: Muad'dib" part don't have the action and cliffhanger necessary to make it as entire movie. Notice that I'm thinking as a Hollywood Producer.
Not thinking hard enough. Pull a LotR and rearrange and expand minor plot elements, as well as things that are "off-camera" in the book, so as to make the action scene a major climax of the first film, and then stick other crap into the next movie.
Remember that an epic film can be anything up to 3hrs long - two of those (or at least the DVD special edition) would work out ~6hrs total run time, which would 90 mins longer than the US run of the miniseries. With that time you could involve a lot of the extra stuff and still give the real story adequate screen time.

Also there are two cool battles (one for each half) and the biggest potential cliffhanger in Dune actually occurs more or less right in the middle of the book: Nefud tells the Baron that Paul and Jessica are dead. It even has a potential extra scene for after the credits: When Gurney meets the smuggler - that scene could relatively easily be cut down to a few lines, and with a bit of dramatic lighting would be amazing post credits.

:)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -